American Auto Wire Front Light Harness - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 14, 7:42 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Sergio

American Auto Wire Front Light Harness

I purchased a American Auto Wire front light harness for my 70 from ebay and just now i opened it up to inspect it and this is what i found what i don't like. A couple pictures show that the goop is not a firm rubber type of sealant (if that's what you call it) but is soft sticky wet tar stuff that looks like it was done in a hurry. The worst part is that it's all over the pins too. This does not look right to me. Has anyone else seen this before and is the way they all come or was i just that lucky?

Lastly i just want to say i did not buy this directly from AAW but from an ebay seller which has many sales on ebay sold this AAW harness to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0122.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	149145   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0123.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	149153  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 14, 8:23 AM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage
Re: American Auto Wire Front Light Harness

That's the way they come it's protection against the terminals corroding and should be installed that way. On mine the inside was a brown color but the outer stuff was more of a black color.

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/atta...4&d=1389626667
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 14, 8:44 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Sergio

So the pins should also come coated with that sticky tar and inserted into the interior bulkhead wiring? Would that not prevent the pins from making good contact with each other? I was going to just clean off the goop on the pins.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 14, 9:04 AM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta View Post
So the pins should also come coated with that sticky tar and inserted into the interior bulkhead wiring? Would that not prevent the pins from making good contact with each other? I was going to just clean off the goop on the pins.
Do not clean the stuff off it does not affect the contact and is put there for the reason of preventing corrosion of the terminals.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 14, 9:07 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bad Brad

Location: NSB Or Daytona Beach Shark Bite Capitol of the World

Dont clean it just put it together that way. All that goopy stuff is anti corrosion and it will last longer that way.

I started with Nothing and still have All of Nothing!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TC # 2747 ACES # 7166
2009 AACA 1st Place National Junior Award
2009 AACA National Senior Award
ACES Chevellabration Top 3
2010 AACA First Place Grand National Award

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 14, 9:09 AM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

I forgot to say I did buy my harnesses directly from AAW and that's the way they come from them.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 14, 9:22 AM
Senior Tech Team
Stu

Firm rubber would just dry out and decay, not to mention be nearly impossible to replace. Goop works and can easily be replaced / reapplied.

L92 / 200-4r -> T56 71
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 14, 1:02 PM
Tech Team
Donny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta View Post
I purchased a American Auto Wire front light harness for my 70 from ebay and just now i opened it up to inspect it and this is what i found what i don't like. A couple pictures show that the goop is not a firm rubber type of sealant (if that's what you call it) but is soft sticky wet tar stuff that looks like it was done in a hurry. The worst part is that it's all over the pins too. This does not look right to me. Has anyone else seen this before and is the way they all come or was i just that lucky?

Lastly i just want to say i did not buy this directly from AAW but from an ebay seller which has many sales on ebay sold this AAW harness to me.
That is die-electric grease and is done to GM spec. It is supposed to be that way. It promotes conductivity between the mating terminals and prevents corrosion as others have suggested. It is fine to install just as received.

Donny
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 14, 11:24 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Garage
Send a message via AIM to BlueSS454

Additionally, there is no firm rubber type sealant on original harness bulkhead connectors. What you see on the originals is 40+ year old die-electric grease that solidified over 40+ years.

Tom Rightler, MCC VP & Newsletter Editor

Best ET: [email protected] MPH

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 14, 7:14 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Sergio

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSS454 View Post
Additionally, there is no firm rubber type sealant on original harness bulkhead connectors. What you see on the originals is 40+ year old die-electric grease that solidified over 40+ years.
Never knew that. My old harness did have that hard what looked to be rubber compound on the outside area so when i seen this soft tar like substance i sort of thought aftermarket harnesses were doing things differently and then when i seen the pins i didn't know what was happening. The grease on the pins for my old harness must have come off or dried off because it is bone dry.

What a relief. Thanks to everyone that responded. I leaned something new all the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 2035 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.