69 Turn signal/brake light issues - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 14, 4:16 PM Thread Starter
Thor
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: FOB Warhorse, Iraq
Posts: 13
69 Turn signal/brake light issues

I know this is an old post, but can anyone give me a hand? Im trying to restore a 69 malibu, but cant figure the way to fix the signal lights. What lights are the ones that flash in the front when you signal? Same for the back. It seems im not getting power to the rear brake/signal lights. ANY help is appreciated.
cmbtmdcthor is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 14, 4:23 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Shane
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: N.E.Pennsylvania
Posts: 6,875
Re: Front signal lights 68 vs 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbtmdcthor View Post
I know this is an old post, but can anyone give me a hand? Im trying to restore a 69 malibu, but cant figure the way to fix the signal lights. What lights are the ones that flash in the front when you signal? Same for the back. It seems im not getting power to the rear brake/signal lights. ANY help is appreciated.

1. where is there a Chevelle in Iraq? it sure the hell wasn't there when I was.

2. do you need a set?

get a multimeter and make sure your getting voltage to the light sockets.

fuses.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New oil is cheaper than new parts
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
fishhead is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 14, 5:30 PM
JWA
Administrator
Jeff
 
Join Date: Sep 1998
Location: OR, USA
Posts: 15,337
Garage
Re: 69 Turn signal/brake light issues

Pulled out of another thread not directly related to this posting. It is always better to start your own thread so your issue is directly addressed and not lost in the mix of an older thread.

Bump for visibility...

Gold Founding Member #158

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


The TC Search >>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


TC photo >>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
JWA is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 14, 4:45 PM Thread Starter
Thor
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: FOB Warhorse, Iraq
Posts: 13
Re: Front signal lights 68 vs 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishhead View Post
1. where is there a Chevelle in Iraq? it sure the hell wasn't there when I was.

2. do you need a set?

get a multimeter and make sure your getting voltage to the light sockets.

fuses.
1. I opened this account when I was stationed in Iraq , never even knew that was still in my header lol.

2. Thanks for the info, I'll check the voltage
cmbtmdcthor is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 14, 7:00 PM
Gold Founding Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1998
Location: 30.1298228, -97.9771166
Posts: 6,366
Garage
Re: 69 Turn signal/brake light issues

The bulbs in the front and rear light housings have two elements - one for the park or running lights (dim) and one for the turn signals (bright). I start with the hazard lights to see if the lights come on. They are on a separate flasher unit and work without the ignition on. I check the brake lights, check the parking lights. Take an inventory of what works and what doesn't. Sometimes process of elimination you can guess where the problem is. Otherwise, start on the end and work to the start of the circuit or vice versa. Power to turn signal switch, power out of turn signal switch, power in and out of the brake light switch, etc. Don't overlook the grounds either.
Alan F is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 14, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Thor
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: FOB Warhorse, Iraq
Posts: 13
Re: 69 Turn signal/brake light issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan F View Post
The bulbs in the front and rear light housings have two elements - one for the park or running lights (dim) and one for the turn signals (bright). I start with the hazard lights to see if the lights come on. They are on a separate flasher unit and work without the ignition on. I check the brake lights, check the parking lights. Take an inventory of what works and what doesn't. Sometimes process of elimination you can guess where the problem is. Otherwise, start on the end and work to the start of the circuit or vice versa. Power to turn signal switch, power out of turn signal switch, power in and out of the brake light switch, etc. Don't overlook the grounds either.
Wow thanks for that invaluable information. I have been hard at work trying to make these lights work. My problem now is that they are flashing in the wrong place. For example, when I turn to signal to the right....the top right AND bottom left lights flash?! And that's just in the back of the car. I have no flashing lights in the front at all. I think it's because I'm not getting power to the brown wire according to the wiring diagram. The brown wire powers Both the rear lights and the front marker lights and signal lights if I'm not mistaken. I had paid a guy to fix it, and he actually made things worse for me.
cmbtmdcthor is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 14, 1:46 PM
Gold Founding Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1998
Location: 30.1298228, -97.9771166
Posts: 6,366
Garage
Re: 69 Turn signal/brake light issues

The brown wire is normally for the park/running lights. It sounds as if you have a grounding issue. If you don't have a test light you should buy one. It will eliminate the guesswork about the grounds. I've also seen the wrong bulbs as the culprit too. If you don't know they should be 1157's. There is a dk grn wire and yellow wire in the back is the ones that need power.
Alan F is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 14, 1:50 PM Thread Starter
Thor
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: FOB Warhorse, Iraq
Posts: 13
Re: 69 Turn signal/brake light issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan F View Post
The brown wire is normally for the park/running lights. It sounds as if you have a grounding issue. If you don't have a test light you should buy one. It will eliminate the guesswork about the grounds. I've also seen the wrong bulbs as the culprit too. If you don't know they should be 1157's. There is a dk grn wire and yellow wire in the back is the ones that need power.
So the brown wire will have power, correct? I will buy a test light today and try to see if I can find the short and or mixed wires. Will post update today
cmbtmdcthor is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 14, 3:23 PM Thread Starter
Thor
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: FOB Warhorse, Iraq
Posts: 13
Re: 69 Turn signal/brake light issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan F View Post
The brown wire is normally for the park/running lights. It sounds as if you have a grounding issue. If you don't have a test light you should buy one. It will eliminate the guesswork about the grounds. I've also seen the wrong bulbs as the culprit too. If you don't know they should be 1157's. There is a dk grn wire and yellow wire in the back is the ones that need power.
Question... Where does the reverse light socket (light green wire) go in the housing!? Does it go in the bottom hole or the top one?
cmbtmdcthor is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 14, 5:46 PM
Gold Founding Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1998
Location: 30.1298228, -97.9771166
Posts: 6,366
Garage
Re: 69 Turn signal/brake light issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbtmdcthor View Post
So the brown wire will have power, correct? I will buy a test light today and try to see if I can find the short and or mixed wires. Will post update today
The brown wire (rear) will have power only when the park/running lights are on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbtmdcthor View Post
Question... Where does the reverse light socket (light green wire) go in the housing!? Does it go in the bottom hole or the top one?
There is a separate, single element bulb for the backup lights. You should be able to distinguish it based upon its position in the housing which is near the bottom.

The yellow wire in the rear is the brake and turn signal on the left, and the dark green wire is for the right.
Alan F is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 2091 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome