Short in Radio Circuit - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 03, 7:06 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

So, I was driving my Chevelle on a nice summer day, and all of a sudden my radio stopped working.

When I got home, I checked the Radio fuse and it had blown. Replaced the fuse, put the ignition key on ACC, the underdash lights blinked, and once again the fuse blew.

Tested the Radio circuit, yellow wire, at the radio-end of the factory harness and it is grounded. So, obviously I have a short to ground.

Before I start taking apart the factory harness, are there any other test points where I can check the circuit to help isolate the short? I am assuming that it is somewhere behind the gauges, but anything to try before disassembling the harness would be alot easier.

Thanks for all your help.

Ralph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 03, 11:31 AM
Hey You!

Did you measure the yellow wire when it was unplugged from the radio and the fused removed? Is there anything plugged into the fuseblock?
Not sure if there is something else that goes to that fuse on a 70. If there is I’d check that next. Don’t have the schematic. Maybe someone else can look.

Yo-ho Yo-ho a pirate's life for me.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 03, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Yes, I measured the yellow wire with the fuse removed and the Ohm meter indicated a completed circuit (other probe was grounded).

I am therefore assuming that the wire is grounded somewhere.

Based on the wiring diagram, it looks like the yellow wire is exclusive for the radio.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 03, 7:04 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Traced the wiring back to a large (2-3") connector around the fuse box. Separated the connector, and the male end (which I believe connects to the fuse box) seems to be grounded, while the female end (which I believe comes from the dash harness) is not grounded.

1) Are my assumptions about the connectors correct?

2) And, if it is from the fuse side of the connector to the fuse box, how can I diagnose it? Or, get around it, without causing any danger.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 03, 10:30 AM
Hey You!

Think you may be on the wrong wire during your last test.

Yo-ho Yo-ho a pirate's life for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 5870 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.