fuse bulkhead ? - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 14, 6:58 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
carlo

Garage
fuse bulkhead ?

from the engine bay side I can't seem to tighten up the bolt going through the center. in fact I can't seem to take it out either(it just spins). I'm thinking I'm not getting a great connection between engine bay & interior side. either the bolt is stripped or the nutsert is. there's no room from the engine bay to get at anything. can I pull the fuse panel inside & clean up the threads ? will pulling that fuse panel make it tough to get back together ? I'm thinking I can run a bolt right thru once I remove the fuse panel side. looking for some suggestions for an easy fix. thanks, Carlo

empty garage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 14, 7:55 PM
Levon

Re: fuse bulkhead ?

Carlo I've seen them do that. You can remove the inner if no threads are engaged. 4 screws IIRC. You may find that the little dogs on the nutsert have corroded off causing it to spin.
Try pulling the bolt with some pliers or ? if possible.

Levon Hovagimian
Team Chevelle #279
2015 Camaro ZL1 Summit White (Bone Stock)
70 Chevelle SS 454 LS5 4 speed. SOLD
Current Engine VortecPro 460 (513 HP) Original is resting
1966 427 Corvette SOLD
1973 Camaro IHRA Hot Rod (LS-6 Auto)11.00 @121 (Chased a 10.99 or better) SOLD

Priddis, Ab. Canada

My Showroom
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 14, 9:12 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
carlo

Garage

Levon
thanks for the suggestion. I think I'll pull the bolts on the interior side. having someone pulling on the block maybe I can unscrew the engine side(using tension to stop the nut from spinning). so does the screw from the engine bay side screw into the back of fuse block ? or is there a panel between engine/forward lights harness & fuse block ? originally I was thinking of drilling a hole from interior side through the hole in the engine bay half. not sure if there's enough meat in the center to sneak through. hope I'm describing this correctly. thanks, Carlo

empty garage

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 14, 11:46 PM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

On my 71 Malibu the center bolt has a wire clip around it sort of like a c clip so the bolt doesn't actually come out. I would try loosening the bolt (counter clockwise) and then try pulling the connector out, if the connector doesn't want to come out all the way loosen the bolt some more and then pull on the connector some more. The connector is actually 2 pieces that are interlocked together and come out of the fuseblock as one piece. On the inside there are 2 bolts that hold the inner half of the fuse block to the firewall. The center bolt on the engine bay side tightens into the insert that is in the inner half of the fuse block. As far as drilling a hole right thru I don't think that would be a good thing to do.

Last edited by HKalin; Jan 13th, 14 at 12:03 AM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 14, 11:54 PM
Levon

^^^^^ Thanks Hank.

Levon Hovagimian
Team Chevelle #279
2015 Camaro ZL1 Summit White (Bone Stock)
70 Chevelle SS 454 LS5 4 speed. SOLD
Current Engine VortecPro 460 (513 HP) Original is resting
1966 427 Corvette SOLD
1973 Camaro IHRA Hot Rod (LS-6 Auto)11.00 @121 (Chased a 10.99 or better) SOLD

Priddis, Ab. Canada

My Showroom
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 14, 9:08 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
carlo

Garage

Hank
I thought there might be some kind of clip holding that sucker, thanks. I'll loosening it & try to work the harness loose. when you say the connector is two pieces are your referring to the engine & forward lamp halves ? I took a couple of pics of this dash harness(71 ?) Is that what the engine side harness screws into ? or will I have a boss on the backside of the fuse panel ? If my 72 harness is like this one will I be able to pull fuse panel & get to this center panel ? I'm trying not to yank the fuse block & cause myself problems getting it back together. If this center panel is the same I think it's fixable. whether it's the bolt or the nut. thanks guys appreciate the help.
Carlo

p.s. picture's to follow when I get them resized.

empty garage
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 14, 9:27 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
carlo

Garage

got pic's resized
thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	011.jpg
Views:	1851
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	138442   Click image for larger version

Name:	010.jpg
Views:	1737
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	138450  

empty garage
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 14, 10:21 AM
Senior Tech Team
Bryan

If you remove the screw holding the fuseblock up, you can just unclip (it might snap in place--or it might just be sitting there) and move it out of the way a bit.

This should give you access to the back side of the disconnect, and you may be able to
hold that "T" nut in place while someone backs the screw out.

Not too hard to replace that piece when it is on a table, but might be a royal pain doing it under the dash.

Bryan's toyz

59 ElCamino 454/TKO 5spd--(daddy)
66 ElCamino 3oh7/TKO 5spd (mousey) Almost done On the street now!!!
65 Ranchero v8/4-spd, that my uncle bought new
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 14, 10:38 AM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

The pictures your showing me don't look anything like my 71 Malibu fuse box. Looking at the fuse block from the engine bay on mine the right plug in connector goes to the front wiring harness and the left one is the engine harness. These 2 connectors are interlocked together and have to be removed as one unit. There are only 2 halves to my fuse block engine side is the 2 connectors with all the wires coming out of it and dash side has all the fuses in it and dash harness wires coming out the top and bottom of it. You will notice on the dash side of the block at the top right corner and lower left hand corner are the hex head screws that bolt it to the firewall. The insert that the middle screw screws into is part of the inner dash side of the fuse block. I'm wondering if the pictures your showing could be possibly be an aftermarket harness.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fuse block 002.JPG
Views:	2205
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	138474   Click image for larger version

Name:	fuse block 004.JPG
Views:	2957
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	138482  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 14, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
carlo

Garage

Bryan
thanks for the come back. looks like a two man job no matter what. but at least I know now what's in between. if the nuts spinning I may be able to loctite it. or use a plastic nut instead. then bolt the fuse box back up(seems backwards,but)do you see any issue's if I remove the fuse box side first ? I mean if that bolt is clipped to the engine side of the harness, it may not be seated enough to start. looks like there's only a couple of threads to start with. appreciate your thought.
Carlo

empty garage
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 14, 11:03 AM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmardown View Post
Bryan
thanks for the come back. looks like a two man job no matter what. but at least I know now what's in between. if the nuts spinning I may be able to loctite it. or use a plastic nut instead. then bolt the fuse box back up(seems backwards,but)do you see any issue's if I remove the fuse box side first ? I mean if that bolt is clipped to the engine side of the harness, it may not be seated enough to start. looks like there's only a couple of threads to start with. appreciate your thought.
Carlo
If the box in your car looks like mine you can get at the insert from the engine side. Even if you unbolt the box from the inside I don't think you will be able to flip it around because of all the wires hooked to it. It's also possible the threads may be stripped out of the insert.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 14, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
carlo

Garage

Hank
yes my 72 looks just like your's. the pic's I posted are supposed to be a dash harness from a stock 71 elcamino. I thought that was sandwiched between engine bay & interior. I'll try to remove engine side & see what I'm dealing with. you be right about the pic's I'm showing being a aftermarket harness.
thanks, Carlo

empty garage
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 14, 12:02 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKalin View Post
If the box in your car looks like mine you can get at the insert from the engine side. Even if you unbolt the box from the inside I don't think you will be able to flip it around because of all the wires hooked to it. It's also possible the threads may be stripped out of the insert.
The fuseblock should move enough for access to the disconnect.

I have removed a few of the disconnects from junkyards for different projects.

The disconnect is the same from 68/9 to the mid to late 70s
the fusebox changed in that time from the glass fuses to the ATO.

I just put one of the early 80s GM disconnects in my Falcon.
Easier to wire a car without having 1000 feet of wire to deal with.
Ford harnesses are way too pricey and none of the aftermarket
provide a disconnect at the firewall for a FOMOCO car.

Also---if the firewall side of the disconnect proves to be damaged beyond repair, it is not a big deal to to remove the terminals and replace it with a good one.

Some good lighting---being limber---and a lot of patience will be required tho.

This same block that you showed can be found up to at least 75 in the Chevelles and probably most other GM cars----pickups are different.

Bryan's toyz

59 ElCamino 454/TKO 5spd--(daddy)
66 ElCamino 3oh7/TKO 5spd (mousey) Almost done On the street now!!!
65 Ranchero v8/4-spd, that my uncle bought new
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1981 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.