Mini Starter Wiring - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 00, 4:23 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I have just received my Engine harness in the mail for my 1969 350 Malibu. Everything is color coded and appears correct. I have one question - I have a mini-starter (with no wiring diagram) and the new harness has two wires for the starter, a large purple and a smaller yellow wire. How do I hook these up to the starter? I do not see any markings on the starter.
Has anyone used a new wire harness?
Thanks in advance,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 00, 9:28 PM
Gold Member

Its been a while but, if my memory is correct you only hook up the one wire as the 2nd one was used to supply full voltage to the coil. As there is a lot of current needed to engage the starter solonoid it is logical to be the larger purple wire. Now, I have only done this once and I had the instructions when I hooked it up so rememeber what you paid for this advice!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 00, 10:10 AM
Senior Tech Team
Rob

Send a message via AIM to onabudget
Mini starter gets the purple, and Batt.

The purple is your start circut from your ignition switch (tells your starter to start)

The Batt supplies the starter with power to operate only.

The yellow wire is the topic of many posting in this forum, (do a search), but just to try and explain, read on.

In SOME cars the ignition switch does not provide power to the coil during the start mode, only in the run mode

Therefore, the coil needs power when you are cranking. The yellow wire was designed to go to the I terminal of the stock 3 lug starter and feed your coil with 12v. during cranking only.

The question is do you need that yellow circut. Check to see if your ignition switch is supplying power to your coil when the the key is in start and run if it is then you don't need to connect the yellow wire, tape it into the harness and you are done.

If your ignition switch does not give you power in start (like it did in my 67) then you have to get it power.

There are 3 fixes that I know of (and many that I don't Know)

1. Change Ignition Switch ( to a later year if possible)
2. Get a starter with 3 wire hook up
3. Use a Ford style remote solonoid, this will give you the I terminal for your yellow wire.

I chose #3 with my car because I needed the 2 lug mini starter for header and oil pan clearance. And It works great

Hope this helps, Rob

------------------
67 Malibu Conv (always under construction)
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 6882 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.