Getting Headlights, no dash/tail lights - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 14, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
david

Getting Headlights, no dash/tail lights

Hello everyone, I am a proud new owner of a 69 malibu and new to the site. I found alot of good info here already and found the sticky on the headlight switch very helpful.

My problem is as the title states, when the headlight switch is pulled out I am not getting any tail or dash lights. I tried 2 different switches to no avail. I even tried jumping a wire from the lead hot wire on my switch to my brown tail light wire and they will turn on. My fuses are good, and I even tried simply splicing my tail/dash lights to my blue headlight wire on the switch. That worked only for a few weeks before it burnt out the wires coming off my foot dimmer switch, I removed the splicing, replaced the burnt wires and am back at square 1.

I am hoping someone is familiar with this problem because me and my local shop are just baffled!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 14, 1:31 PM
Tech Team
Jon

Re: Getting Headlights, no dash/tail lights

Have you checked to see if you have power in the back with a meter, or a known to be working 12v light if you don't have a meter.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

'66 Marina Blue SS Clone
427 BB 10.5:1 cr
Sft cam 243/251 @.050
AFR 265
Keisler RS600 with 3.73 12 bolt posi
Holley 950 HP
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 14, 1:33 PM
Tech Team
Jon

Nevermind that, I didn't read the post all the way.

'66 Marina Blue SS Clone
Sft cam 243/251 @.050
AFR 265
Holley 950 HP

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 14, 1:36 PM
Tech Team
Jon

Start with the switch to determine if you have voltage leaving the switch. Continue tracing until you find the problem.

'66 Marina Blue SS Clone
Sft cam 243/251 @.050
AFR 265
Holley 950 HP
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 14, 1:51 PM
Levon

Check the tail light fuse and the dash fuse. The tail light feeds the dash light fuse....

Levon Hovagimian
Team Chevelle #279
2015 Camaro ZL1 Summit White (Bone Stock)
70 Chevelle SS 454 LS5 4 speed. SOLD
Current Engine VortecPro 460 (513 HP) Original is resting
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1966 427 Corvette SOLD
1973 Camaro IHRA Hot Rod (LS-6 Auto)11.00 @121 (Chased a 10.99 or better) SOLD

Priddis Greens, Ab. Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 14, 5:18 PM
Gold Member
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69incharleston View Post
Hello everyone, I am a proud new owner of a 69 malibu and new to the site. I found alot of good info here already and found the sticky on the headlight switch very helpful.

My problem is as the title states, when the headlight switch is pulled out I am not getting any tail or dash lights. I tried 2 different switches to no avail. I even tried jumping a wire from the lead hot wire on my switch to my brown tail light wire and they will turn on. My fuses are good, and I even tried simply splicing my tail/dash lights to my blue headlight wire on the switch. That worked only for a few weeks before it burnt out the wires coming off my foot dimmer switch, I removed the splicing, replaced the burnt wires and am back at square 1.

I am hoping someone is familiar with this problem because me and my local shop are just baffled!
Hi David, Welcome to TC.

Kudos to you for referencing the sticky in this forum. Many experienced users don't even search those first.

If you get dash lights and tail lights by jumping the connectors in the headlight connector to the red wire, that tells me you you have a power issue dealing with the orange feed wire.

Most likely you have a bad fuse or bad fuse clip connectors. Even if a fuse isn't blown, the element inside can go bad (loose connection with the outside connector). Also, these cars are notorious for the clips apart of the fuse block corroding and forming a sometimes invisible layer between the inside of the clips where the grab the outer barrels of the glass fuse.

What you need to do is take a test light and probe each side of the fuse itself. Both ends should light up at all times as this is on constant battery power. THEN probe each fuse block clip to ensure there is a connection. Again light should light up on both clips.

Even if it does light up, I would highly suggest you remove any risk for voltage drop by taking fine sand paper and cleaning the inner surfaces of the fuse block's clips thoroughly. Install new fuse as well.

Then,

Take your test light and and probe the orange wire on the on the headlight switch connector. You should have power there. If you DO NOT, but you have power down below on the fuse clips, there is a break in the wire or damage to the orange lead's connections between the block and harness.

The dash lights get power from the tail light circuit first before they go thru the dash light fuse. Get the tail lights working FIRST and we can go from there.

Although you already did it, (and lot of others have to), never just "tap" into the blue wire of the headlight switch for make-shift power. This is circuit that is protected by a high current thermal breaker inside the headlight switch. By the time it trips, your tail/dash light wiring can get quite toasty. Not good. Not sure why your blue feed burned up, either poor splice or there was an issue on that line--what you added (intermittent short) that drew excessive current and wasn't properly protected by a glass fuse.

-If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 14, 8:15 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
dave

David

Check all your grounds
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 14, 8:21 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68SSdave View Post
David

Check all your grounds
It would not a ground problem according to the original post description.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 14, 9:20 PM Thread Starter
david

Thanks guys soon as I get home from work, I am trying coppertops procedure. I will post back with results.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 14, 5:11 PM Thread Starter
david

it was a bad connection to the fuse for the tail lights. I took sand paper and cleaned them off, changed the fuse for good measure and I am good to go! Saved me some headache and money, Thanks for the help guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 2044 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.