Team Chevelle banner

Push button starter

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  70SSTHUMPER 
#1 ·
So yesterday I found my ignition switch crapped out. I went to napa and got a replacement switch/key lock cylinder in one. It was faulty, went back and got another one. It was bad. The store is closed now due to Christmas, so I am ordering a push button ignition off summit. Anyone else use a push button ignition? I already have a painless wiring harness with updated fuse panel and all the good stuff. Just curious

#2 ·
For a 69-72:

Are you sure you have the activation rod adjusted correctly and there are 2 switches; 1 for a tilt wheel and 1 for non-tilt.
Make sure you get the right switch.
Do you have a neutral safety switch. If so possibly it may be the culprit.

Not sure what year you are working with so .....

#3 ·
James. Levon is spot on. Two different switches for tilt, non tilt. Don't know if you want to keep it original or modify to a bump start. What you are reffering to is a "momentary" switch. These can be mounted in a secluded, reachable area such as under dash. They are a good theft deterent as a thief may not put the time into figuering it out. I have used them before only on modified cars tho. I always kept a spare bump start on hand in my electrical inventory. Can be a life saver in a pinch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.