Courtesy lights for a 70...some ??? - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 00, 7:08 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

I want to install courtesy lights under the dash in my 70 SS (the 442 has 'em,and I LIKE 'em!! ) anyway,my console has the light in the rear that goes on when the door(s) open.Should I wire the underdash lights to the console light? Electrical projects are not my forte' and I don't wanna do anything stupid here and hack anything/overload a fuse.

------------------
1970 Chevelle SS396/L78/M21/4.10
1972 Olds 442 convertible(455,W25,M40)
1982 Oldsmobile Cutlass 350 Olds,TH350(daily driver)
1969 CHEVELLE SS396/TH400/FOR SALE!!
"Be aware of the possible ramifications of the potential outcome"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 00, 9:32 AM
Gold Member
Joe

Now, you do have that circuit protected by a 20 AMP fuse, but I can't vouch personally if the wiring can handle all those lights...'cause now you have a dome light, a console light, and 2 courtesy lights. You're probably okay though, because GM usually over-engineered things, and I've heard some cars in junk-yards have the "odd" dome/courtesy light set-up. Remember the underdash lights were really only for convertibles...but I can't blame you for the liking the set-up.

Here's how I'd do it (based on factory wiring set-ups);

Remember only splice into the WHITE wires, especially on the driver's sie as the black wire is the KEY buzzer--don't mess with that circuit.

Joe

------------------
"Yes, I'm still workin' on those Chevelle radio pages!"
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 00, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

thanks,really appreciated.I saw a 69 Buick Skylark coupe that had 'em.That was going to be the doner car-but,it got junked Saturday.However,I also thought that convertible had 'em only too.I think I'll go with your wiring diagram.Thanks again

------------------

[This message has been edited by mr 4 speed (edited 06-26-2000).]

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 00, 7:15 PM
Gold Founding Member

mr4 speed
You can really make those courtesy lites sexy You can get a Fader for those add on lites from Centech Wiring. They have a link at Chevelles.Net

------------------
Rick
72 El Camino
TPI350/700r4
TC#00038
ACES#00140
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 00, 8:05 PM
Gold Founding Member

if you know the wattage of the bulbs u are using it is simple to calculate the current draw (amps)

current(amps)=power(watts) / 12 volts

i think that most small auto bulbs are 15 watts or less (tho you should check me on this) which means they would draw close to 1 amp max

so if your adding 4 bulbs to a circuit, thats only a 4-5 amp addition max (assuming the 15 watt max is correct) and thats most likely not enough to cause a problem (if memory serves i actually think most auto bulbs are more along the lines of 7 watts or so)

check me out on this wattage rating tho!!!
if you have a digital volt/ohm meter we can determine the actual current draw of the specific bulbs you want to use with a few simple measurements...
email me if you want to walk thru this exercise -->(I=12/R
measure R(ohms of bulb)
then calculate I(amps))

fuses should blow before wiring goes up in smoke (fuses are designed to protect wiring) but the kicker here is that with 30+ year old wiring harnesses any corriosn will create a high reisitance which will generate heat that the original non-corroded electircal system did not create and that could cause a heat/electrical fire problem...usually corrion of this type will occur at terminals and connections tho it can occur in the wire itself

i'll defer to coppertop for info on the actual wiring connections (how to) as i have already begged help from him for my own electrical system (thanks coppertop!!!!) but my post will give you some of the theory/background to help you decide what to do

------------------
Rich
Cocoa Beach, Fla
Team Chevelle #380
46 but feeling like 20 when i'm in my 70 SS 454
[email protected]
www.chevelles.com/showroom/70_SS_454.jpg

[This message has been edited by 70 SS 454 (edited 06-26-2000).]

[This message has been edited by 70 SS 454 (edited 06-26-2000).]
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 00, 8:49 AM
Senior Tech Team
Phil

If you can find a Monte in a bone yard they have them. Originally the courtesy lights are a separate harness that plug right into the dash harness they are available from M&H Fabricators
The 442's use a diffeerent bulb socket it just snaps into the metal dash wheras the chevy's use a plastic bulb socket that screws to the dash

------------------
PhilMullaly Member562 72camino TPI proj
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 00, 12:11 PM
Administrator

Garage
My 78 & 79 A bodies both have under dash as well as dome lights. The wiring looks to be the same guage as in the 64 with dome light only. The 78 & newer courtesy lamps should be easy to find in a wrecking yard with the harness and are still available new.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 00, 7:24 PM

I'm thinking of installing courtesy lights in my '69 hardtop also. I haven't actually seen the kit yet but I'm hoping that there's a built-in Y-adapter included where it connects to the door jamb switch. This seems to be what is shown in the GM wiring diagram and the '69 factory assembly manual (page 12-B13). If that's the case then it won't be necessary to splice.

The wiring diagrams for later Chevys (after '72) show some differences in the way the courtesy lights are wired. In the later models, opening either door would turn on both lights. In 64-72, the diagrams seem to indicate that opening a door will only turn on the adjacent courtesy light. The later models also had the dome light terminal of the light switch connected in. In 64-72, the diagrams show the circuit running from the always hot BAT terminal on the fuse box to the grounded door jamb switch bypassing the light switch altogether. If I interpret that correctly, that would mean that you can't turn the courtesy lights on manually by turning the light switch knob fully counterclockwise. Are there any convertible owners out there who can confirm or dispute that?

Also, I believe that courtesy lights were available on Chevelle hardtops as a dealer installed accessory rather than a RPO option.

I'm thinking about showing my car in stock class after I get it restored. Can anyone tell me if dealer installed accessories (e.g. courtesy lights) would be considered by show judges to be a modification to the original car?

Thanks.

------------------
'69 Chevelle SS
Project still in the planning phase
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 00, 7:26 PM

removed duplicate post

[This message has been edited by Dennis69SS (edited 07-04-2000).]
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 00, 7:29 PM

removed duplicate post

[This message has been edited by Dennis69SS (edited 07-04-2000).]
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 00, 5:03 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Coppertop,thanks again.Got a pair from a buddy of mine(out of a Buick Skylark Or Monte)and installed them Monday per your diagram.REAL nice option to have-looks MINT when you open the door.

------------------
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 00, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dennis69SS:

I'm thinking about showing my car in stock class after I get it restored. Can anyone tell me if dealer installed accessories (e.g. courtesy lights) would be considered by show judges to be a modification to the original car?

Thanks.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would not even worry about it.Even at a National event,(ACES,NCOA,etc.),I seriously doubt a judge would question the integrity of the(installed) option.I believe the RPO is ZJ9,if I'm not mistaken.Believe me,it is a RIGHTEOUS option to have.By buddy parts out a lot of 68-72 A bodies,and I was lucky to get 'em without having to look for 'em.It's a classy touch to add to a classy car And, Dennis:My 442 convertible's lights do go on by turning the knob counter clockwise.

------------------

[This message has been edited by mr 4 speed (edited 07-05-2000).]
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 00, 5:34 PM

Thanks for the advice Mr4speed.

BTW, I looked at the wiring diagram again and discovered there was another path that I missed before. Disregard what I was saying about how the 64-72 lights worked.

-Dennis

------------------
'69 Chevelle SS
Project still in the planning phase
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 00, 6:39 PM
Tech Team

The courtesy lights were included in the Auxilary Lighting option so any 70 Chevelle could have them if the Aux. Light pkg was ordered.

------------------
Bill Taylor
TC Gold Member #73
December 1999 Feature Car
www.chevelles.com/feature/december99.htm
www.chevelles.com/showroom/BillTSS70-2
www.chevelles.com/showroom/leaves2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 6950 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.