Fuel Guage. Getting close, still not working - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 04, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Tim

I posted a while ago but still was unable to solve the problem. I replaced the sending unit in my 65 chevelle. When I filled up the tank it read about 1/4. I tested the new sending unit and it is working correctly. When I pull the brown wire from the sending unit the guage reads full. That means my guage is working right? I pulled the wires from the guage and didn't get an OHM reading from the brown wire. When I connected the black wire to the guage and not the brown, the guage dropped to empty. Does this mean there is a bad connection somewhere from the guage to the sending unit? Also, this might be a dumb question, but does tank size matter. The car was originally a six cylinder. Did they make a 15 galloon tank? Might be irrelevant.

The mighty hand of vengeance sent down to strike the unroad worthy.
1965 Chevelle SS - Numbers matching

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 04, 6:21 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage
I'm confused,
Where did you have the meter leads connected when you didn't get a reading?

There is a black wire AT the gauge?

I may be wrong cause I've never done it but I'm thinking the black wire at the tank is the ground and the brown wire goes to the gauge, so you should disconnect the brown wire at the tank and get an ohmeter reading between the TERMINAL the brown wire came off of and ground.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 04, 7:35 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Tim

Sorry if I am unclear. Yes there is a two prong connector at the back of the gauge in the dash, one brown, one black. I disconnected that connector so I could get an Ohm reading at the dash from the sending unit. Nothing. The black must be the ground for the guage? The sending unit, in the tank, is fine. It is new. Ohm reading tests fine at the terminal. I pulled the sending unit out of the tank, connected the ground and tested the unit. Arm down, 0 ohms; arm up, 90 ohms. Maybe these two questions will clear things up.

1. Is my guage bad? When I pull the brown wire from the sending unit, the guage reads full. When I fill my tank it reads 1/4 now that I replaced the sending unit. When I unplug the two wire connector from the back of the guage it reads full, when I attach the black wire to the guage, it reads empty. Can I run dumby wire from the guage to the sending unit terminal to test the guage?

2. If my guage is good, how many wire connections are there for the brown wire from the sending unit to the guage? I know there is one in the trunk and it connects the brown wire to a wiring harness similar to the wiring harness in the steering column (flat and thin). Where else is there a break in the connection from the sending unit to the guage. I am going to have to take ohm readings at each connection to find a short if there is one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 04, 11:00 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage
Ok, I thought there was one pink wire and one brown wire on the gauge but I guess not hu.

That's an idea, use a long piece of wire to temporarily run from the gauge to the tank and see what happens.

Maybe someone else will chime in here but sounds like the gauge is OK to me.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 04, 12:23 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Do you have a black wire at the tank sender, that is grounding the sender?

Edit Bad information has been removed.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 04, 10:11 AM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage
I was hoping you would "chime in" Elree [img]smile.gif[/img]
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 04, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Tim

Yes, sender is grounded. Everything is fine at the sender. The black wire at the guage might have a pink tracer. If what you say is correct, my wires are fine. I unplug the wires from the guage and it reads full. I connect the black/pink wire and it reads empty. However, I am a little confused. Should the brown wire read the resistance/ ohm from the sender? Wes Vanns post in tech reference seems to say that also. After all, doesn't the guage read resistance (brown wire)? With the tank full it should read 90 ohms; empty tank, 0 ohms. In your last post you said it should read zero?

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 04, 7:40 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Wes Vann is correct, I got it wrong, again.

0 ohms = tank empty, 90 ohms = tank full. Yes you should be able to measure the tank sender resistance from the gauge connection, brown (tan) wire to ground.

"how many wire connections are there for the brown wire from the sending unit to the gauge?"
The brown wire from the gauge to the tank sender has two connections. One is under the dash where the dash harness connects to the body harness, the second is in the trunk where the body harness connects to the rear lamp harness. A good test is to ground the brown wire at the sender, gauge should indicate empty.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 04, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Tim

Okay, I think I can narrow it down. A few more questions. If I ground the brown wire at the sending unit and it reads empty, would I than assume my guage is bad and not the connection from sending unit to guage? See this is what is so confusing. I am assuming that because I am getting a reaction from the sending unit to the guage when I ground or pull the brown wire that my connection is good. There is a signal reaching the guage telling it what to do. However, the guage is acting correctly too by reading empty or full.

I am guessing that I must have a bad connection because I am not getting an ohm reading from the brown wire at the guage. Unless I am testing it wrong. I use the red lead on the brown and ground the black ohm meter lead to my steering column or something. Do I still need the black wire attached to the guage? It wasn't. However, why would I get a partial reading from my guage when the wires are connected (guage reads 1/4 full when tank is full). Either there is a connection or there isn't right? Okay, I think I just confused myself more. WHY THE HELL IS THIS SIMPLE CRAP SO COMPLICATED!!!! Sending unit, wire, guage, that is all. [img]graemlins/angry.gif[/img]

By the way, where does the black wire from the guage go? My chilton's book says the temperature switch. I have a few wire connectors that aren't hooked up. I think they are for temperature controls? So does this mean my guage isn't going to work right. Damn, if it isn't one thing its the next. I learned on thing. ELECTRICAL SUCKS!

I have to really thank you guys for taking the time. You have been a great help.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 04, 9:42 AM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage
If I may butt in again.

I think to check just the "sending unit" ohms you should do it at the tank since you wouldn't want to include the resistance of the wire and connections to determine if the "sending unit" is accurate.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 04, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Tim

Sending unit is fine. I need to check the path from the sending unit to the guage and I need to check the guage. It is one or the other that is bad.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 04, 2:00 AM
Tech Team

Is it possible the brown wire is pinched or otherwise grounding out on the frame. I think you could test that idea with the ohm meter. Disconect brown wire at both ends. Put one side of meter on end of wire and the other lead to ground.

NCOA Member # 14002
Life is hard, it's harder if you are stupid. (John Wayne)

OO SS OO
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 04, 9:55 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Roy

Send a message via AIM to 65Camino
DJ,
I had the same problem with my Elky. Someone had installed a trailer hitch and tryed to wire brake lights to a trailer lightplug. They hacked into the thin flat floor harness. It was easyer to replace that than try to repair it. These are no reproduced. I found someone in the for sale section at Team Chevelle that had one for sale. All my other wiring is new using aftermaket. I used dielectric greese on all conections to make sure the brass conection do not corrode like on the orginal wiring. Email me if you have anyother questions.

65Camino
Seattle

My 65 Camino:

Team Chevelle Gold Lifetime Member #74

"A free people ought...to be armed..."
George Washington 1790
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 04, 8:30 AM
ASB

Have ether the guage or sender been replaced? 64 & 65 look the same but have differnt ohmage. It could cause differnt readings??
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 04, 10:06 PM
Tech Team

I checked my photo library. The correct part number for the 65 SS fuel gauge is 6430197. I have a digital photo if you want me to email it to you. That number should be visible on the gauge face at the bottom.
You must be sure you have the matching gauge and sending unit as 64 ad 65 are not compatible. If your fuel gauge has the above part number, then check to ensue your sending unit is correct of a 65 gauge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 5445 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.