help with points swap! - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 04, 2:35 PM Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 155

I've searched the forums for this, but still unsure what year distributors will work for the swap. I have a 70 malibu with a 307. thanks for the help!!!
jerandjul is offline  
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 04, 3:06 PM
Gold Member
Join Date: Sep 1998
Location: Tucson, AZ, USA
Posts: 9,699

I am not too sure what kind of swap you are doing, so here are my best guesses. Big block and small block distributors are interchangeable, so that is not a big factor. If you are interested in the electronic distributors made by GM (HEI) , you will need to get one from 1975 to 1984. The later ones require a computer connection, which is not a good idea. The computer HEI will not have a vacuum advance can, so it is easy to identify.
JWagner is offline  
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 04, 7:41 AM Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 155

thanks for the reply, just what I needed. I am putting in an hei. The junkyard has some chevy's with 305's in them. Would this work. Just trying to get bye for a year until new engine is built. I'd like to just bye a new cap and rotor. Thanks for the help again!!!
jerandjul is offline  
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 04, 10:33 AM
Gold Founding Member
Join Date: Aug 1998
Location: near Kansas City
Posts: 62,260

Any junkyard HEI with a vacuum advance canister will work OK
I believe some 1982's and maybe even 1981's will not work because the ones without the V.A. are computer controled like JWagner already said.
Dean is offline  
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 04, 1:34 PM
Tech Team
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 721

remember to regap your spark plugs after you install the HEI. They use a gap like .45 or .50 whereas points use a smaller gap like .35. Probably a good idea to totally change plugs to the type that are recommended for the year of car you get the HEI from. Also, be reminded that a HEI distributor needs a full 12 volts to it, the wire that now goes to your points distibutor is a "resistor wire" and drops voltage to 9 volts to your coil so you dont burn out the points or coil. Search HEI in this forum and in the Engine section for more info on the conversion.

Marley; 65 malibu SS /70 vette /69 cutlass
bhawk is offline  
Sponsored Links

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:


Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 5666 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome