Genius or idiot... you decide - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 03, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

My started finally gave out and I replaced it with a high-torque mini starter. Wow what a difference [img]graemlins/hurray.gif[/img] For anyone that has a big block I highly recommend the $200 investment. Even at 210 degrees she turns over like nothing! Seems to spin the motor at least 2x the speed of the old "boat anchor" Delco.

Now the idiot or genius part
I bought a universal starter. It has an aluminum plate that allows adjustment to obtain multiple positions (angles) for the starter/solenoid. What I ended up doing is mounting this unit upside down which left the solenoid totally exposed (on the bottom instead of the top) for easy wiring after I installed the unit. I did not have to attempt to connect the wires and than position the unit for mounting. In addition this actually moved both the starter and solenoid further from the headers and block. This is a weekend only ride that never sees rain so I am not concerned with the elements getting at the solenoid.

Am I missing something in doing this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 03, 4:01 PM

Can't think of anything real bad with that idea. If everything is tight and the starter works, can't ask for any more.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 03, 7:25 PM
Senior Tech Team
Dave

Mine is similar, I just sprayed it down with silicone spray when I was done. Keeps the water out (assuming it would ever rain here) and also helps with the corrosion/rust issues.

Dave Bradley

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 03, 8:52 AM Thread Starter

Good idea D1 [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 6109 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.