High Beam Indicator - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 13, 7:43 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ben

High Beam Indicator

Hey everyone, Im working on a 72 Malibu and need a little info on the dash wiring.

The headlights work when i turn them on, and the high beams work when i press the floor switch but the high beam indicator does not come on. There is no power at the bulb. I followed the light green wire from the indicator bulb but it goes to a connector on top of the steering column which i think is the backup lamp switch. Im having a hard time following the wires from there, any wiring diagrams out there so i can figure out how the indicator light circuit is set up?

Im find posts showing pictures of the switches but not a wiring schematic. Thanks for any help

72 Malibu
350 with flat tops
Comp Cam XE268
4 barrel holley street avenger
hooker comp headers
edlebrock rpm air gap
TH350 trans 2000 stall
10 bolt 3.55:1 gears
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 13, 8:03 PM
Gold Member
Joe

Re: High Beam Indicator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spskunk View Post
Hey everyone, Im working on a 72 Malibu and need a little info on the dash wiring.

The headlights work when i turn them on, and the high beams work when i press the floor switch but the high beam indicator does not come on. There is no power at the bulb. I followed the light green wire from the indicator bulb but it goes to a connector on top of the steering column which i think is the backup lamp switch. Im having a hard time following the wires from there, any wiring diagrams out there so i can figure out how the indicator light circuit is set up?

Im find posts showing pictures of the switches but not a wiring schematic. Thanks for any help
Hi Ben,

In a '72 Malibu sweep dash, the high beam indicator bulb socket has (2) wires, light green and black. Black gets spliced to the other grounds feeds inside the dash harness. The light green wire travels through the dash harness and down into the fuse block assembly directly. It is not connected into the fuse block, but into the back half of the bulkhead connector pins. The bulkhead is what links the interior wiring to the engine compartment wiring. The pin responsible for sending out 12 volts to the high beams has (2) wires crimped on to it--one light green from the floor dimmer switch, and the other light green headed up to the bulb in question. This is where the connection takes place.

In order to access this to get a visual, you'd have to disconnect the engine side bulkhead connectors, then remove the fuseblock from the firewall, then split the bulkhead connection assembly from the rear of the fuseblock. Quite a bit of work--are you absolutely sure you have no 12 volts on the light green wire feeding the "bright" socket? How are you taking your measurement, from chassis ground or from the ground connection in the socket?

-If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 13, 10:52 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Darren

Garage

Quote:
In order to access this to get a visual, you'd have to disconnect the engine side bulkhead connectors, then remove the fuseblock from the firewall, then split the bulkhead connection assembly from the rear of the fuseblock. Quite a bit of work
And totally worth it! Joe is correct; it is some work if you have not done it before. If you have, itís a 30 minute procedure, far less without power brakes (because you can see). This is essentially the heart of your car. Tying everything to everything, if you have strange problems, this is a great starting point.

Gauges will read better, lights will be brighter.. damn near everything will work better if done correctly. The forward harness and the dash harness are all female/male spade connections. Over 40 years of hot/cold/moisture/spiders/vibration and God only knows what else... these connection tend to become less than desirable.

Separate, clean and lube with dielectric grease. Might be the best thing you can do for your car electrically.

If you donít push the limits how are you going to find the weak spots?
USMC- Retired
My car: 1970 Chevelle

Factory 12 bolt /4-Speed Malibu -Dual stage wet nitrous with heater & purge - Holley Strip Dominator, Speed Demon 750 CFM - (All MSD distributor, blaster 3 coil, 6AL, & 3 stage retard) - 4 wheel disk brakes - Aeromotive Fuel system Ė Boss 338 18ís - BMW 5.25 true HID projector mod - and of course... the FLAPPER - bla, bla, bla.. lots of other expensive stuff I canít remember
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 13, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ben

Wow thanks for the good responses guys! Yes I have the bulk head harness connectors disconnected and the dash pulled because I'm fixing my speedometer. First time pulling dash was a pain. Opened a whole new can of worms. Lots of dirty dusty stuff needing to be cleaned under there. Can't say I'm a fan of the old plastic parts, I broke the plastic mounting studs for the wiper switch. Not sure what to do about that.

I will clean and reapply dielectric grease to connectors. That's a good idea. And yes I'm sure there is no power to the bulb. Checked chassis ground and ground terminal in the socket and replaced all the bulbs in dash.
I'll look at it again and see what I find.

Do u know where I can get the pins for the bulkhead connectors?

72 Malibu
350 with flat tops
Comp Cam XE268
hooker comp headers
edlebrock rpm air gap
TH350 trans 2000 stall
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 13, 12:12 PM
Tech Team

"Plastic Welder" Re: High Beam Indicator

Black Siamese syringe 2 part epoxy yellow has some body. Used to fix one of these plastic studs behind dash of 71 Malibu. (And various other broken plastic bits) First butt glue the broken stud on. Then a band or blob of the epoxy around the outside for reinforcement.

Packaging says Devcon. Syringe says ITW Performance Polymers part #47809/22045.

(I've used also on chevelle grill, Toyota corner light assembly broken plastic stud, etc.)

Suggest test first to see how it holds parts (has a little more body than amber epoxy resin), how quick it sets, etc. Like most all epoxies, cure time is very temperature sensitive.

(My blue hi-beam indicator lamp used to need a light finger tap on the dash to wake up.)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 13, 7:46 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ben

Ok so I wiggled something and the light is working again lol. I'll clean and tighten everything up. Thanks for the help.

Anyone know where I can get the terminals for the wires in the harness bulkhead connector ? They are like a spade but have a locking tab. I might rewire engine harness instead if buying one .

72 Malibu
350 with flat tops
Comp Cam XE268
hooker comp headers
edlebrock rpm air gap
TH350 trans 2000 stall
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 13, 8:57 PM
Gold Member
Joe

Any respectable auto parts store should have OR be able to order the Packard 56 series connectors.

Here's just an example:

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...145_0282442033

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...147_0282442030

-If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 2171 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.