Dakota Digital Wiring - Help Needed - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 13, 8:43 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Michael

Dakota Digital Wiring - Help Needed

I am converting my 1971 SS dash to the Dakota Digital SS VHX direct fit system. I have a few questions I'm hoping you can help with.

1. Constant Power - Can I use the clock wiring? Direct Connect?

2. ACC Power - What do you use for accessory power? Can I run a wire from the ACC on the fuse block?

3. Tail Light - This is to turn on the LED backlights at night. Can I use the gray wire from the printed circuit plug? If not, what do you use for this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 13, 9:18 PM
Gold Member
Joe

Re: Dakota Digital Wiring - Help Needed

I am converting my 1971 SS dash to the Dakota Digital SS VHX direct fit system. I have a few questions I'm hoping you can help with. responses in bold

1. Constant Power - Can I use the clock wiring? Direct Connect?
Depends on the power requirements of the unit. I would not think it would draw that much current, but I don't own one. Constant power is available at the clock connection, cigarette lighter and "BAT" terminal on the fuse block. They are all on the 20 amp courtesy circuit

2. ACC Power - What do you use for accessory power? Can I run a wire from the ACC on the fuse block? That will work, or splice into the factory original yellow radio power feed wire

3. Tail Light - This is to turn on the LED backlights at night. Can I use the gray wire from the printed circuit plug? If not, what do you use for this? I seem to recall another post indicating this input can not be a "dimmable" input. The grey wire voltage varies with the headlamp rheostat. If the unit needs a solid voltage, you will have to tap into the brown wire leaving the headlamp switch.

-If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 13, 2:40 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Michael

The left and right turn signal has 2 wires connecting in to the dash plug. Do I use one wire or both? If one, how do I find the correct wire?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 13, 2:50 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brent

I bought the same gauges for my 66. Looked cool in the catalog. But scary now that it is here. I dread it

1966 138 blk on red 427 TKO 600
1966 138 Aztec/charcoal zz502 w 700R4
1965 Chevelle 396 auto 4 door wagon
1966 Nova 400 sb w 700R4
1967 Corvette coupe 427 M21 w GV OD, black on red
ACES # 07822
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 13, 4:25 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2th farmer View Post
I bought the same gauges for my 66. Looked cool in the catalog. But scary now that it is here. I dread it
It's not too bad if you know what wires you need to cut and splice. Just tedious.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 13, 4:38 PM
Tech Team
Mark

Make sure unit is grounded good , just from talking to other folks that have installed one , this has been an issue . Determining the which turn signal, use a meter and see which wire is powered with turn switch operated in right and left turn position . A schematic would be big help .
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 13, 6:55 PM
Gold Member
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by man44a View Post
The left and right turn signal has 2 wires connecting in to the dash plug. Do I use one wire or both? If one, how do I find the correct wire?
So.....I'm assuming you are going to use the factory locations for the turn signal indictors? Page 4 shows the LED assemblies for the "fa ctory original" indicator spots....

http://www.dakotadigital.com/PDF/VHX-70C-CVL.PDF

The white/black indicator wire from each LED needs a good clean connection to chassis ground. The "RIGHT" LED's green/white needs to connect to the factory DARK BLUE wire. Do not confuse it with the factory DARK BLUE that feeds the OIL PRESSURE SENDER.

The "LEFT" LED's green/white needs to connect to the factory LIGHT BLUE wire.

I don't know if you original had SS Dummy lights or FULL SS Instrumentation.....you can use this as a guide for wire placement to figure out what is what....

http://hem.bredband.net/chevellegear...uge%20conv.pdf

If you just cut up everything, and have no clue what dark blue does what for example, you'll have to meter it to determine if it's the sender line or the turn indicator line....post back if you need more help...........

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 13, 7:07 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Michael

I used this for my guide. Number 1 and 12 are two wire connections. The Dakota Digital "brain" only has 1 wire input for the left and right turn signals. I am planning to use the DD indicators, not the original. I don't understand why these are two wire connections.

It is a full SS gauge dash.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	128529  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 13, 8:04 PM
Gold Member
Joe

I'm confused.....

Is this not the box you are working with???

I got this right off the .PDF for the system, and made arrows for the inputs....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VHXbox.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	128633  

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 13, 8:06 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppertop View Post
I'm confused.....

Is this not the box you are working with???

I got this right off the .PDF for the system, and made arrows for the inputs....
Yes. That's it. One wire for the left. One wire for the right.

My plug for the printed circuit has two wires for the left and two wires for the right.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 13, 8:18 PM
Gold Member
Joe

The factory plug simply has (2) wires crimped together. That's how GM "tapped" the line to provide power for both the in-dash indicators and the front bumper signal light feeds.

You'll have to crimp both of the shared left wires together with a new wire. The new wire will run from your splice to the control box LEFT input.

You'll then have to crimp both of the shared right wires together with a new wire. The new wire will run from your splice to the control box RIGHT input.

Hope that was clear. If more then one wire is going to the exact same connector, then they all share that connection.

Don't try to squeeze two wires into those little brain box terminal screw assemblies. It will not work out well.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 13, 8:30 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppertop View Post
The factory plug simply has (2) wires crimped together. That's how GM "tapped" the line to provide power for both the in-dash indicators and the front bumper signal light feeds.

You'll have to crimp both of the shared left wires together with a new wire. The new wire will run from your splice to the control box LEFT input.

You'll then have to crimp both of the shared right wires together with a new wire. The new wire will run from your splice to the control box RIGHT input.

Hope that was clear. If more then one wire is going to the exact same connector, then they all share that connection.

Don't try to squeeze two wires into those little brain box terminal screw assemblies. It will not work out well.
When I can explain myself and what I'm looking at, you are amazing. Thanks so much.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 13, 8:43 PM
Gold Member
Joe

Hey Michael,

No problem I'm the one who misunderstood, I kept thinking "how could Dakota Digital only have one input for both turn signals?", when all along you had indicated earlier, you had 2 wires to work with, but only 1 wire space for each input.

Glad we're on the same page now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 2205 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.