'70 Console wiring questions - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 00, 6:23 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I've got a 70 Chevelle that I am trying to get converted to a floor shift car. First of all, what harnesses will I need to have? The only console wiring I have is the wire that connects to the back plate light. Secondly, where/how does the console wiring plug into the dash harness? The dash harness I have is orignally for a column shift car. Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 00, 12:40 PM
Senior Tech Team
Phil

Its been awhile since I've been into an auto console but if you have the harness for the lights it should plug into a connector under the dash of your original dash harness
the only things your console harness should have are the background and rear of console lights.the reverse light switch and Nuetral saftey switches are the same as whats on your column these are driven by the lever that runs up the front of the firewall to the column.
Your cable from the trans selects the gear you want and the feedback linkage runs from the trans to the column and rotates the internal shaft.
Find someone close by with a floor shift 70-72 GM A Body, any make and watch the steering column just below the ignition lock as they shift gears notice that it will rotate (this is how I shifted the olds when I put in the auto tranny while the 4spd was out for overhaul) You can use your original steering column but you shoud change out the collar when your swap is complete looks better than just removing the column lever

------------------
Philip Mullaly
72 TPI El Camino
"Whaddya mean, no warranty?"
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 00, 5:05 PM

i don't believe you have a plug to plug the console harness to your original harness. i put an SS dash with console in my chevelle that had a column shift. if you are going to use the floor shift and take out your column shifter and use the floor shift column you will have to run the neutral safety switch and back up light wires from the bottom of the column to the switch on the floor. you can splice into the gray panel light wire and a black ground for your shifter lights. then you can splice into the orange hot wire and the white dood switch ground for your rear console light.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 00, 11:54 PM
Tech Team

I believe Chevy70 has it right. I'm in the process of converting a wiring harness to work with a floor shift auto car. You're just basically moving your neutral safety switch farther away, requiring you to extend those wires.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 00, 11:52 PM
Senior Tech Team
Phil

Sorry if I might be wrong about this but why cant you use the originally installed column mounted N/S switch.
You still have the linkage running up to the column for the Ignition lock correct? So if you leave that linkage hooked to the trans stock location with cable attached for the floor shift, when selecting park, rev, nuet ,or drive the linkage still drives the internals of the column.
Or am I missing something unique to chevelles?
Its been along time since I did the swap there might be something I've forgotten

------------------
Philip Mullaly
72 TPI El Camino
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 00, 8:38 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I've already replaced the column shift steering column with a floor shift column (actually I just change out the shifter lever sleeve). I no longer have any linkage connected from the tranny to the cloumn. I just assumed that the harness plugged to the n/s switch on the floor shifter and connected to the dash harness. I just didnt know where the console harness plugged into the dash wiring. Is there a plug or do I need to splice it in? I do have a brown wire with a plug that is not connected to anything and I'm not sure what its for???? Thanks for everyones help
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 00, 11:20 AM
Senior Tech Team
Phil

1quick
The problem you'll have now with the linkage removed is your car can be shifted into any gear before key is unlocked on column.

------------------
Philip Mullaly
72 TPI El Camino
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 00, 12:52 PM
Tech Team

With a wiring harness meant for a console shifter, there will be a connector (on camaros there is anyway). But since your harness was not meant for a console shifter, you will have to do some splicing. The wires going to the neutral safety switch you simply have to extend. The wires for the console lighting is the only real splicing you have to do. You have to find the right wires to splice into and run the new wiring to the console lights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 6953 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.