Steering wheel Column Accessory switch - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Nov 27th, 13, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
F

Steering wheel Column Accessory switch

Hello everyone. I recently sold my 71 heavy chevy chevelle and bought a 1970 Chevelle SS clone. My question is is there suppose to be a spot on the column to be able to access the accessories mainly the radio? Reason why i ask is there seems to not be on on this column. I am almost positive on my 71 i could turn the key backwards (99.9%) and it would let me play the radio. I cannot turn the key backwards on this column??
I want to be able to listen to the radio without having this grown man under the hood running. How would i go about this maybe a toggle switch? Just a little more info i have an alarm, and when i turn to the first spot before firing the engine the fuel pump comes on. I would like to be able to listen to the radio with out the fuel pump coming on. Any suggestions? I appreciate all your comments

FIGHT BSL
Protect America's True Dog
The American Pitbull Terrier
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 27th, 13, 12:55 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Garage
Send a message via AIM to BlueSS454
Re: Steering wheel Column Accessory switch

They all turn backwards. The ignition switch on the top of the column under the dash may need to be adjusted. You can also turn the key to the run position to power accessories. It does not have to be running.

Tom Rightler, MCC VP & Newsletter Editor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Best ET: [email protected] MPH

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old Nov 27th, 13, 5:53 AM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSS454 View Post
They all turn backwards. The ignition switch on the top of the column under the dash may need to be adjusted. You can also turn the key to the run position to power accessories. It does not have to be running.
In the acc position, it does not put power to the coil/points. When you rotate the key forward and get idiot lights etc, it does put power to the coil/points and if they are in the right spot it can "weld" them shut. Not a good thing. Don't know if there is an ill effect with electronic ignition or not.

Old Nov 27th, 13, 9:48 PM
Gold Member
Joe

Agreed, you should be able to turn the key "backwards" for "ACC" position. Try carefully working the switch back and forth gently. It may just need to be exercised. If no-go, don't force it and it looks like you may be reinstalling the key tumbler assembly.

If the key physically does turn backwards, but you have no power to accessories, then the switch itself on top of the column (under the dash) needs adjustment.

Do not use the "on/run" position to run accessories. Even if you do not have "points" ignition, you waste a lot of current and can overheat devices because of all the ignition controlled circuits will power when you do this.

-If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.
Old Nov 29th, 13, 6:46 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Gene

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSS454 View Post

I have actually been going over my 69 SS. I just turned mine backwards and got nothing but the Generator light turning on, when I try to start it, I get a click, and no radio.

How would one adjust or replace the ignition switch?

Part I suspect that is faulty : http://www.ecklerschevelle.com/cheve...1969-1983.html

1969 SS CHEVELLE 454 EDELBROCK - SEEMS PRETTY HAPPY... FOR THE TIME BEING THAT IS.
3.55 Rear Gears
10.5-1 Compression

Pictures in the Gallery.

AZ Classic Chevelle Club

"Machines dont make mistakes, only men do"
Old Nov 29th, 13, 6:58 PM
Gold Member
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showalter View Post
I have actually been going over my 69 SS. I just turned mine backwards and got nothing but the Generator light turning on, when I try to start it, I get a click, and no radio.

How would one adjust or replace the ignition switch?

Part I suspect that is faulty : http://www.ecklerschevelle.com/cheve...1969-1983.html
You have to carefully drop the steering column. The ignition switch is mounted ON TOP of the column. The switch is mounted so it can be slightly moved up or down (away from or closer to the steering wheel) for correct switching.

What you are describing may actually be other issues--like voltage drop. If you hear a "click", is it coming from your starter solenoid???

Seeing a dimly lit "GEN" light when the key is turned backwards in the "ACC" position is not abnormal.

I would do some voltage checks first. Do you have 12 volts going into the neutral safety switch or clutch safety switch when you HOLD the ignition key switch in the "crank" position???

It would be easier to start a new thread

-If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 2180 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.