Why my Tailight no work?! - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 13, 9:14 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Scott

Why my Tailight no work?!

Recently getting my dash, interior,trim, lights all back together. My tail/brake lights have always worked, until I hooked up my headlights after the reassembly from paint. The tailights have worked fine after reassembly I just recently did my headlights and have this new problem. I have functioning headlights, turn signals, brights, and rear brake/turn signals. But no tailights in park mode or headlight on mode.

My 15A fuse was blown but I have tried a 20 and a 10 in there and they haven't worked. I need to buy a 15A but I feel like a 20 or 10 should have worked. The 10 did not blow. Is there a relay I don't know about for the tailights that may have gone bad?

Also got the bumpers on and not real sure where my reverse lights and rear license light plug in to the harness, as they ve never been plugged in since I purchased the car.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 13, 9:53 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage
Re: Why my Tailight no work?!

67 Chevelle I assume?
Do you have dash lights?
Sometimes the fuse doesn't make a good connection to it's fuse holder clips.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 13, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Scott

Dean,

Yes its a 67, should have included that. Yes I do have dash lights working appropriately. I tried to work the fuse in there back and forth to make a better contact but might need to try and sand the contacts a little.

Does the flasher relay or any other relay go to the tailights or is it straight out of the headlight switch? I wonder if the lamp for the license plate is grounding or something I did not check that. Not sure how all those connections properly go.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 13, 12:10 PM
Tech Team
Dave

Tail lights (brown wire) runs straight to the headlight switch. License light is also brown and tied in to the tail lights wiring. Back up lights use the light green wire. Hope this helps as you trace your wiring for a short or improper connection.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 13, 12:36 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat67 View Post
Dean,

Yes its a 67, should have included that. Yes I do have dash lights working appropriately. I tried to work the fuse in there back and forth to make a better contact but might need to try and sand the contacts a little.

Does the flasher relay or any other relay go to the tailights or is it straight out of the headlight switch? I wonder if the lamp for the license plate is grounding or something I did not check that. Not sure how all those connections properly go.
As Dave said, no flasher or relays go to the taillights.

Since the dash lights work and they get their power from the taillight fuse, that means the taillight fuse is good.

If the tag light wire touches a ground, it would blow the taillight fuse.

You need to start checking voltages to see where it does have power and where it does not have power.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 13, 2:39 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Darren

Garage

Do you have constant 12 volts going INTO the brake light switch? If you do, with the brake pedal depressed and the switch in the closed position, do you have 12 volts coming out of the switch?

If you donít push the limits how are you going to find the weak spots?
USMC- Retired
My car: 1970 Chevelle

Factory 12 bolt /4-Speed Malibu -Dual stage wet nitrous with heater & purge - Holley Strip Dominator, Speed Demon 750 CFM - (All MSD distributor, blaster 3 coil, 6AL, & 3 stage retard) - 4 wheel disk brakes - Aeromotive Fuel system Ė Boss 338 18ís - BMW 5.25 true HID projector mod - and of course... the FLAPPER - bla, bla, bla.. lots of other expensive stuff I canít remember
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 13, 7:46 PM
Senior Tech Team
Keith

Darren, I believe he said he's talking about the tail lamps, not the brake lamps. tail lamps dont go through the brake lap switch.

Scott, I presume you've checked the bulbs themselves? The 1157 in our 67 brake/tail lamp assembly is a dual filament bulb...which means your brakes and turns can work fine and the tail lamp filament can be burned out.

I know you said the tail lamps "were working" but old bulbs can and do fail just from a little rough handling.

Double check the quality of the connection inside the tail lamp socket as well.

Just some things to check...

Keith

Owner: World's Fastest 66 Chevelle - really...it's really really fast since I put on that chrome differential cover
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 13, 7:48 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Darren

Garage

Thanks Keith, I read it wrong.

If you donít push the limits how are you going to find the weak spots?
USMC- Retired
My car: 1970 Chevelle

Factory 12 bolt /4-Speed Malibu -Dual stage wet nitrous with heater & purge - Holley Strip Dominator, Speed Demon 750 CFM - (All MSD distributor, blaster 3 coil, 6AL, & 3 stage retard) - 4 wheel disk brakes - Aeromotive Fuel system Ė Boss 338 18ís - BMW 5.25 true HID projector mod - and of course... the FLAPPER - bla, bla, bla.. lots of other expensive stuff I canít remember
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 13, 9:23 PM
Gold Member
Joe

In addition to the already good advice, This might help visually...

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=392854

-If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 13, 10:02 PM
Senior Tech Team
Keith

Yeah, thanks Joe...nice thread there. Totally forgot about the "headlamps on/parking lamps off" thing which is a stupid oversight, considering that I own a 66.

See Darren, you're in good company!

Keith

Owner: World's Fastest 66 Chevelle - really...it's really really fast since I put on that chrome differential cover
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 13, 10:22 PM
Gold Member
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolBlueGlow View Post
Yeah, thanks Joe...nice thread there. Totally forgot about the "headlamps on/parking lamps off" thing which is a stupid oversight, considering that I own a 66.

See Darren, you're in good company!
No worries Keith When I said "good advice" in my above post, I meant it sincerely, not sarcastically.

-If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 13, 11:09 PM
Senior Tech Team
Keith

Yeah, I was tracking with you. No worries...

Keith

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 2204 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.