Dim headlights now car won't start - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 02, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Here's my problem, the other night i turned on my headlights and noticed they were dim. Anyways I drove home fine but noticed that instrument cluster was dim too, I get home go to the car in the garage and click,click. Open the hood and see the neg. post hitting the fender. I checked the battery at autoparts and its good, alt. and reg. are brand new. What kind of damage did I do? What should i look for. Really need help. THANKS

------------------
1971 chevy el camino
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 02, 5:10 PM
Team Member

The negative post hitting the fender shouldn't hurt anything at all, except for possible mechanical damage to the battery itself if it hit hard enough, but if the positive hits ground, you'll know what the damage is, it will be very visible and audible The negative (ground) is supposed to be connected to the chassis anyway, on many cars (like on my -69) there's even a cable going from the negative terminal to the fender. I don't know if that's the case on a -71, but if you don't have a cable like that, it's a good idea to install one. It will most likely make all lights in the front brighter.

If your starter is still clicking, look at the oil and charge indicators. If they light up when you turn the ignition on, and go dim when you try to crank the engine, I'm 99% sure that you have a bad ground connection somewhere. Especially check the ground cable's connection to the engine, loosen the connector, clean it up, put it back and tighten it up real good.

I know I sound like someone's dad now, but it also sounds like your battery is loose. Get the necessary parts to fasten it to the tray! I didn't care until a battery exploded in a friend's car while he was wiggling a battery in place with the cables still connected. The positive hit the fender while I was standing right next to him. He got acid and pieces of battery blown right up in his face, and even worse (according to him...) he got acid all over his -57 Bel Air. Fortunately, there was a fire hose in the garage so everything turned out relatively well (except for us, our cars and the garage being soaking wet), but I sure have a greater respect for car batteries after that deal.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 02, 10:46 PM

At the moment, the only thing I can add is to check the connection fron battery (-) to the right inside fender. This is the grund wire that works those items.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 6304 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.