air - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 00, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

can anyone tell me exactly what is in this box???

i want to remove it and put a plate over the hole but i want to keep my heater...is this only air conditioner stuff inside, will it effect my heater if i remove it?

[This message has been edited by 69_Malibu (edited 07-06-2000).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 00, 1:25 PM
Gold Founding Member
Rich

Send a message via MSN to richr
Inside that box is your A/C Evaporator.

You can remove the Evaporator and it is not needed for your heater, the problem is that your heater motor bolts up to the same housing that the Evaporator is in. So you will need to modify the houising or make something else. Perhaps you can get a housing from a none A/C car and try and modify the firewall.

In order to remove the entire Evaporator housing you will need to remove the inner fender well on the pass side.

Rich

------------------
70 SS - L34
Member # 442
www.chevelles.com/showroom/richr1

http://www.my70ss.com
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 00, 4:36 PM
Tech Team

Are you *SURE* you want to remove it? How complete is the rest of the (AC) system? If its fairly intact I would leave it.

But if you are set on changing it out, richr was right.. and the thing that really sucks is that a stock heater only box from the same year will not bolt up.. its a different firewall and the heater core hookups are in a different spot.. so youre screwed either way

*I* have never seen a homemade box that didnt look cheesy but im sure a nice one could be made.

Anyhow, if you do remove the stuff let me know I will be interested in the whole setup

mike reeh
[email protected]

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 00, 8:13 AM
Tech Team

You live in Riverside and you don't want air conditioning???????? You are a tougher man than I my friend! I would rather do without the heater in mild So Cal winters than to sweat big time without air conditioning in the Inland Empire.
Here is another option. Take out the entire system. Place a patch over the hole but do it nicely. At the Rialto Show & Shine a few weeks back I saw a chevelle where the owner just pop riveted a piece of sheet metal over tha hole and it didn't look that great. A little welding and some filler would have made a world of difference. Then, for heat and air you spend big bucks for a Vintage Air System. You will have all the climate control you need and your engine bay will look clean and neat with plenty room.

------------------
1967 Malibu
1967 Impala SS396 Conv.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 00, 7:50 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

well...to tell you the truth, im not exactly sure what i want to do right now. i have the compressor (that works) and i have the condensor, and the drier, and a friend that will hook it up for me. the hoses that i have are cut (how much do they cost, all of them???). Also with these old air systems, do i have to worry about over-heating?

btw: gary, you going to the pomona swap meet on sunday?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 00, 10:17 AM
Gold Member

Do not pay for "new" hoses from an aftermarket supplier as you will pay way too much! Find a Hydraulic line supply company locally. They can build custom lines for you while you wait for probably less than 1/2 the cost. These companies build lines for heavy construction equipment and are one of the best kept secrets in the hotrod world. They can bend fuel and brake lines custom, make braided stainless steel lines for custom allpications like the line going to the splitter on your rear axle...... etc! In fact the local company built me a custom braided stainless steel line (bulkhead design to attach to the frame) for my rear and put the old brass fitting on so it would bolt right up and they even polished the brass fitting.... cost was $37.00.

------------------
Redrum
68 Corvette - 383 CI 427 HP
69 SS Chevelle being updated to Pro-Touring
97 Z-28
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 6987 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.