70 Sweep to 71 SS Gauge Dash harness question(s) - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 02, 2:50 PM Thread Starter

Oh my GOD! I have been reading all the posts regarding dash swaps and harnesses. HELP! I have now gone totally brain dead and I could use some straightening out.

I have a 70 El Camino with a HD 350 and A/C. with a sweep dash. The current dash and engine harnesses work, but are pretty beat up. I have decided to go to a single wire Alt and have a 1971 SS gauge dash that I want to put in as well. The SS dash came with its original harness that was pulled off a 454.

Instead of trying to deal with old wires and splices, I have decided to just bite the bullet and get a new engine harness. Can anyone tell me which harness would work with a 70 HD350 with A/C and a one wire Alt AND that will work with a 71 SS gauge dash?

I don't know when exactly I will be installing the SS dash, so my next question is, with this new engine harness work with a sweep style dash temporarily??? Do sweep dashes and SS dashes need different types of engine harnesses?

...and finally...If I change out the distributor and coil for an HEI system, would that require yet another harness or harness modification?

SORRY for the basic questions, but after hours of reading forums, I truly am brain dead! If anyone has done a similar swap, I would LOVE to hear about your experience and get your advice.

THANKS!

Rob
Houston, TX
70 350 Custom => 70 350 'SS' Clone

[This message has been edited by outbackrob (edited 11-17-2002).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 02, 5:23 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Under the hood are two main harnesses. One is the forward lamp harness the other is the engine harness.

The forward lamp harness for the gauge dash has two additional wires that are for the AMP gauge. You can use your existing forward lamp harness temporarily; you will not have use of the AMP gauge until you get the new harness.

The engine harness is the same for sweep or gauge dash. It is also the harness that is typically in the worst condition. It's a good idea to replace this harness as well.

You can contact M&H. It's my understanding that you can have the two new harnesses modified, forward lamp for the one wire alternator and engine for the HEI ignition.

The gauge dash harness should have a brown wire, for the tach, that gets a new hole through the firewall. You will need to change the connector for the HEI dist.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 02, 6:56 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Elree. I'm thinking now I may just do the Alt and HEI now and not have to deal with the modifications later. This Elky is not a show car and I just need it to work!

I appreciate the quick response and the good information! Tonight I'll be in search of the best priced engine harness and HEI setup.

Rob
Houston, TX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 6117 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.