70 Wiper Switch - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 00, 1:57 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Anybody know where I can find one for recessed park wipers? My switch turns on the wipers just fine but most of the time the only way I can get them to shut off is to shut off the car. They usually try to stop, then raise slightly, and this repeats, and repeats. Not being an electrical guru I thought it might be the switch. All I've been able to find for a 70 are for cars without concealed wipers. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 00, 2:32 PM
Gold Member
Joe

That sounds more like a motor problem then a switch problem. The motor does all of the "high tech" stuff as far as parking them. The switch should be available from restoration suppliers. Try our sponser Ground Up to see if they have them.

Joe
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 00, 3:18 PM
Senior Tech Team

I agree, don't think a switch will fix your problem. Make sure the ground strap that goes around one of the isolation mounts is in good shape and not corroded. The other thing that can happen is the washer cycle cam can be hung or broken so that it thinks it is in a wash cycle all the time and therefor does not shut off with the switch.

------------------
Steve Strasemeier (70SS 396, Fathom Blue/White Stripes)

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 00, 6:11 PM
Senior Tech Team

Correct me if im wrong but the switch is the same for both types of wipers. The motor is actually what parks the wipers.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 00, 6:17 PM
Tech Team

I had the same type problem on my 70' model.
Turned out to be a rusted mechaism on the washer pump. A new pump from Napa fixed it right up, now the washers squirt and the wipers cut off when I want them too.

Never seen a bad switch cause this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 00, 4:36 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

You guys bring up some interesting points. I know the car has the original wiper motor and washer pump. I haven't been able to get the washer pump to work and have been putting off trying a new one because I was told that the repro pumps only fit the repro wiper motors (kinda pricey). Now it sounds like I ought to bite the bullet and try replacing the wiper motor. Never thought the whole thing was that important since I don't drive the car when it rains. But I got caught in a late day shower on the 4th and it has changed my mind. Funny though, the wiper switches I see listed at Ausley's and YO say they are for cars without concealed wipers. Tried GU but there were none listed. Thanks for the info.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 00, 12:30 PM
cb
Tech Team

Just so you know. I just replaced the washer pump asm on my '70 with a part from Year One. Worked just fine on the stock wiper motor and I thought it was very reasonable. The motor parks the wipers, therefore if it is not an adjustment, you will want to replace both.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 00, 8:23 PM
Larry

I don't believe concealed and non-concealed use the same switch. I've seen lots of listings for the former, but never any for the latter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 6988 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.