neutral safety wiring Q - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 00, 7:31 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Hi all,

In prep for strip I'm told I must have the neutral safety switch hooked up, sooooo, here's my delemma and question:

'69 Velle, B&M Mega shifter

The neutral safety switch is in the shifter, but not hooked up (never was).

Dash harness wiring is majorly bastardized (colours all mixed up, a lot of go nowhere wiring, etc etc), as the car was previously a circle track car.

As my accessory circuit is max'd out (being the loop type system on the '69), with all the additionals running off it, is it possible to run (hook up) the neutral safety switch to work independantly so as not to load any more on "Acc" circuit ? (don't care about reverse lights).

I'm really eager to get some suggestions on the how to and possibly a good old "coppertop" diagram , for the routing as yes you guessed it, I'm an electrical dummy !! and want to get over this little hurdle and move on to the rest of the prepping I know I can handle.

Appreciated as always,
Greg.

------------------
69ht383>Smokumchevy
TC member#610
"The journey of a thousand miles begins with a broken fan belt and a leaky tire"
"If you drink, don't park; accidents cause people"

Smokum's '69 pics
My Homepage
ChevyWorld
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 00, 8:45 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Ok, was told to do this by a local enthusiast and want to confirm.

"Its simple, just interrupt the wire going from you keyswitch to the 'S' terminal on the starter solenoid and run to your neutral safety switch then back to the 'S' terminal."

Does this sound right ?? just seems too simple.

-Greg

------------------
69ht383>Smokumchevy
TC member#610
"The journey of a thousand miles begins with a broken fan belt and a leaky tire"
"If you drink, don't park; accidents cause people"

Smokum's '69 pics
My Homepage
ChevyWorld
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 00, 8:00 PM
Tech Team
Jason

I had the same thing happen to me, so here's what I did. I found an important looking wire, 10g purple, that was cut by a previous owner, and a 10g wire that was purple w/ a white stripe. They were the factory n/s wires for a floor shift car. Column shift cars have it mounted on the column itself. These are under the dash, comming out of the column, I extended these wires with some 10g wire to the neutral safety switch, and hooked 'em up. It took some adjusting, but I now have a functioning neutral safety switch. I hope this helps, if you have any more questions, please e- mail me.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 00, 10:19 PM
Administrator

Garage
Greg you were told correctly, hey whats wrong with simple? If it would make you feel better I can make it way harder for you

------------------
Philip #42
Anybody going slower than me is an idiot, and
anyone going faster than me is a maniac.

Under Construction Car & Page
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 00, 12:46 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ben

well sure sounds like an awful simple anti theft device to me long as you hide the switch
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 00, 10:50 AM
Tech Team

Greg...

I taped the purple wire up to your steering column when I was under there. I did it to keep it out of the way. THe previous wizbang wiring lizard tried to tape it up and hide it. You'll see that it has a male & female connector on it so you could actually just run wires from it.

Just run some wires either to your shifter or get a switch. Note that the switch should be of the on/off toggle type and take heavy amp's. (25A I think) and hide it under the dash somewhere.

TTYL Bud

------------------
Canadian ZZ4 Powered 64 Malibu SS!
Team Chevelle Gold Member #37
WebSite http://www.magma.ca/~ssoltesz/steves/1964.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 6885 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.