Painless wiring and schematics - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 03, 3:43 AM Thread Starter

My friend and I have only just started and already we are having problems... We are working on the tail section, trying to read and understand both the original wiring diagram from one of my manuals and the painless manual... I own a 1968 Chevelle and purchased this wiring kit in hopes of putting all the extras like power windows and power door locks... This wiring project has not went well so far...we thought by sarting at the back and working our way forward would be the way to go....but the more we stare at it more it confuses us. My friend and I have no previous wiring experience so any help would be appricated... The first problem we have came across is the wiring of the single wire to light on each rear brake/turnsignal, the backup lights, and the license plate light... We are trying to use the old wiring harness as a guide, but just getting more confused... We believe one reason for much of the confusion is from the previous owners many splices, some of which have up to five different colors on one 2 foot section By the way the original wiring diagram goes.. it looks like a yellow and green and brown go to the headlight switch, but the way painless has it ...looks like the same wires goes to the turn signal switch HEEEEELLLLLPP lol
[img]graemlins/clonk.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 03, 11:16 AM
Hey You!

Can't help you out with the Painless schematic. This is one reason I usually recomend using original style harnesses. Over the net it's easier.
Anyway.
Green and yellow originaly went to the turn signal switch. These are brake/turn signal wires. Painless doesn't provide switches so these should go to the same place.
The brown originally went to the headlight switch. This wire is the running light wire and goes to the second filament in each of the rear bulbs.

Yo-ho Yo-ho a pirate's life for me.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 03, 4:41 PM Thread Starter

Thanks John. The book that I have is rather vague as far as it comes to the wiring it labels the colors like it should. It really don't tell me where it goes to though on the other end. Do you know where I can get my hands on a more detailed one?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 03, 6:31 PM
Hey You!

All the original schematics are the same. No one redrew them. The ones in books are reprints of the original.
I'm assuming you are looking at a 68 Chevelle factory wiring diagram.

Yo-ho Yo-ho a pirate's life for me.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 03, 1:48 PM Thread Starter

Well I have the rear of the car wired up now. I found out the reason we were so confused. We had pulled the brown wire out and sat it aside, and forgot about it. Once we saw it, it was clear as day lol. Thanks again for your help.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 03, 8:40 PM
Gold Member

I feel your pain... less. I too once put in Painless harness and I had no electrical experience. I got to know their tech guy real well and they did get me through the process. I have one real good thing to say about the experience and that is wiring no longer scares me.

Yesterday I put in solenoids to run my headlight system and changed over to halogen lights. It was no big deal now and I doubt I would have been able to do this before my painful "Painless" experience.

I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather...

January 2004 Feature Chevelle
69 SS Chevelle, Pro-Touring, 600+ HP/TQ; A/C, P/S, P/B
1300 Watts of stereo and 11.90 at 118.46 MPH on Goodyear Eagles.
My Showroom

Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 03, 9:20 PM Thread Starter

Well I think we are getting the hang of it. I'm still a little nervous, but I'm less intimidated by it now. It's been well into the 100's here and myself with no shop makes it even less fun. By the time it cools off we have about 2 hours of daylight left. with the exception of the rear end, everything in it has been replaced.....I'm getting anxious about firing it up for the first time. 350 .30 over claimer hypereutetic pistons, comp cam 260 h grind with .50 lift. new comp valve springs, 3 inch ceramic coated headers, dual 2.5 inch flowmasters with 40 series delta flow 350 turbo with shift kit and b&m mega shifter accel hei distributor with super coil 750 edelbrock carb and holley electric fuel pump. I've rebulit the front end with a kit from pst and kyb shocks all the way around. I've switched it over to a disc brake coversion using and 69 elky donor car. It's been a long going on three year bulid up. If I can find some bucket seats for it reasonable....I'll be in good shape. Next comes the the interior and body work. It's my first project, and guys says it with me cause I know you've all heard it. "You love that car more than you do me." lol [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 5804 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.