Starter Question... Headers = Heat.. - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 00, 7:36 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

It looks like my starter is going to die, maybe. I've read about starters getting so hot they won't crank right. I think I may have this problem. Ran the car a little tonight, got the timming worked out, and after timming it, it ran about 10 min at all different rpm ranges I turned it off. When I went to start it again it had a hard time turning the engine over then it would get it after a little time. This has happend before, starts find when it's cold but after it's heated up it has a hard time. Does this sound like a heat prob or is the starter going to die?? I searched for posts about this but didn't find anything... Thanks for any help!!!

------------------
Chris
OWNER OF 66 CHEVELLE MALIBU
Check out page dedicated to resto of my chevelle. Needs some updating.
Team Chevelle # 424
Canadian Classics Chevelles and Beaumonts #393

Fav Quotes: Second place is the first loser.. AND You may not remember the tests you failed, but I'll bet you remember the person you were with the night you decided not to study.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 00, 7:47 AM
Tech Team

Could be both: starter going bad or a little case of heat soak. Try starting it cold and see if it does any better. If not, its probably your starter (or fried starter wires ). If it fires right up with no problems, you'll probably have to install some sort of heat shield to protect the starter. That should be pretty easy.

------------------
Jeremy J. Bennett
Team Chevelle #298
Currently Chevelle-less!
1972 Chevelle - Sold 6/16/00

[This message has been edited by 72CHEVELLE (edited 08-10-2000).]
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 00, 10:37 AM
Gold Member
Joe

Well, this topic once caused quite a "heated" debate.

All I'm gonna say is fix your problem the RIGHT way. Replace your starter with a brand new one.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 00, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

thanks guys, I'll test that today Jeremy.
Coppertop, how would just a new starter fix this?? Wouldn't the headers just heat up the new one and cause this to begin again??

I think I'm going to replace the starter because I don't know how old it is but I'll also build a heat sheild to cover it from the headers. I could prob make one for cheap

------------------
Chris
OWNER OF 66 CHEVELLE MALIBU
Check out page dedicated to resto of my chevelle. Needs some updating.
Team Chevelle # 424
Canadian Classics Chevelles and Beaumonts #393

Fav Quotes: Second place is the first loser.. AND You may not remember the tests you failed, but I'll bet you remember the person you were with the night you decided not to study.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 00, 11:52 AM
Senior Tech Team

If it has too much timing advance a hot engine is much harder to start. Check all the battery connections for good CLEAN connections at both ends. Don't rule out a weak battery.

------------------
Steve Strasemeier (70SS 396, Fathom Blue/White Stripes)

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 00, 2:21 PM
Gold Member
Joe

My point kinda was, yes, you won't solve the problem 100% guranteed, but you'll have a much better starting point (no pun-intended).

In other words, the headers will heat up the new one too, but at least that starter isn't 30 some years old, tired, oxidized contacts, worn bushings,etc.

An old one is that much more suseptible to these heat problems.

Joe

[This message has been edited by Coppertop (edited 08-10-2000).]
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 00, 5:06 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Steve, All my power wires are new and the batt is about 2 weeks old, fully charged too.
Coppertop, I see what you mean now, good idea.

Just tried to start it and it was having a hard time cranking it over. Looks like the starter is going after all. It gets it started but has a hard time, could timming affect how well it starts?? I think I have it a little too much advanced. Thanks again.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 00, 4:12 PM
Senior Tech Team

You didn't mention what engine. If you had/have or replaced a small block small displacement motor (or 6 cylinder) you probably have a light duty starter.

Look at the starter. If there is an extension between the solenoid and the power tab on the starter it is heavy duty. If the power tab on the starter connects right tight to he solenoid terminal, it is a light duty starter. Of course, if you have the LD one changing to a HD one would fix the problem. It did for me.

Peter
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 00, 9:19 AM

Hey 66...

I fought the heat soaking battle for a year... changed starter's, used different heat shields, used a remote solenoid etc... Finally I surrendered and thanks to SmokumChevy, I have been running a hi torque mini starter and it's PERFECT. No more remote solenoid, no more shield's and starts 100% every time!

If you replace the starter, do it once and get a hi-torque mini... Then move onto the other important things.

------------------
Canadian ZZ4 Powered 64 Malibu SS!
Team Chevelle Gold Member #37
WebSite http://www.magma.ca/~ssoltesz/steves/1964.htm
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 00, 9:35 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Well the starter is I think shot, has a hard time cranking even when cold. This winter I'm getting my dads friend to build up my 396. Since I will need a starter for it I'll look into one. Seem popular.

Peter, no clue on the starter, when I got the car it came with 3 starters, 2 alternators, 2 power steering pumps. When I started to get it running I just took which ever was in better condition. It's hard to look in there with the headers.

The SB has even more problems now, just wanting to get it running to find out why all this began to happen then I'm pulling the engine. Don't really want to spend much money on it now.

Canuck this winter it's going in for body work/paint, then going to install the BB, and if all goes as planned I will be able to make a trip down to see all the members sometime next summer.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 6980 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.