"correct" battery cable wiring? - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 00, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
John

Does anyone know the correct routing of the neg. battery cable on a 69 SS 396? My assembly manual contradicts itself in that one picture shows it routed and connected to the alternator bracket, but yet another shows the alternator bracket having a wire mounting clip for the alternator wires in the same hole that was previously shown for the neg. cable.

I have a photo of an "assumed" correct 69 396 motor and it does not show the neg. bat. cable connected to the alt. bracket and shows the alt. wires connected there with the wiring clip as previously mentioned. But, I cannot see where the neg. cable is routed in the photo.

Anyone know for sure?

------------------
Check out my 69 SS 396

[This message has been edited by 69396ss (edited 06-03-2000).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 00, 4:21 PM
Gold Member
Joe

It should be the same as a 1970. On mine a
'70, it came from the factory like this:

There are 2 holes in the alternator bracket. One is larger and a bolt with a slip washer holds the NEGATIVE BATTERY CABLE TO IT. The other littler hole provids a place for the wiring harness clip that supports the alternator feed wires. The clip holds the wires so they are actually on the underside of the bracket, unlike the NEGATIVE batt. wire which is right on top.

Hope that helps.

Joe

-auto radio repair tech
-building team chevelle's radio info pages

------------------
Long live non-computerized fuel and fire!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 00, 4:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
John

Interesting, The assembly manual and the photo (of an undisclosed source), shows the rear hole used for a clamp which holds the heater hose, and the "smaller hole" holding the alt. wires,/ or neg. cable (which conflicts in the assembly manual.)

I'm also looking at a photo layout of a 1969 COPO chevelle (chasis only), and although it doesn't specifically point this out, in one picture detailing the fuel pump, it shows what appears to be the neg. battery cable attached to the block directly above the pump.

------------------
Check out my 69 SS 396

[This message has been edited by 69396ss (edited 06-03-2000).]

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 00, 9:14 AM
Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to BLU69
My 69 also had the cabl on the block and a heater hose clamp on the Alt Bracket.

Blu
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 00, 1:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
John

After researching, it does in fact go to the block (head actually) at front passenger.

------------------
Check out my 69 SS 396
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 7020 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.