Disconnect fuse block/front harness - 72? - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 13, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Steve

Disconnect fuse block/front harness - 72?

I'm having trouble figuring/seeing how to disconnect the fuse block from the front engine harness connectors. How are the two wire connectors attached? It's a Malibu/sweep dash if it makes a difference.

And can this be done from inside the car after removing the fuse block from the firewall or do I need to do it from the engine compartment?

Thanks

1972 Chevelle - 350 - TH350
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 13, 11:53 AM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage
Re: Disconnect fuse block/front harness - 72?

Remove the two harnesses from the engine compartment first by removing the hex screw. (as I recall it's 3/8")

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 13, 9:36 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Darren

Garage

I think Dean is correct…. Although the “pin out” changed significantly in 72….. 70-72 all attached the same as far as the inner and outer harnesses go. (To the fuse block)
Matter of fact the 72 (dash) harness will mate with the 70 (engine) harness, but unless you change the entire pin out and then some…It will basically blow up

Ask me how I know This is my supposed “can’t be done” 72 Monte Carlo dash (note the fasten seat belts light by the lighter, that now reads “LINE LOCK” when it’s engaged) in my 70 Chevelle Malibu.

ALSO -

Only going on a tangent because I’ve done a few….

If you don’t push the limits how are you going to find the weak spots?
USMC- Retired
My car: 1970 Chevelle

Factory 12 bolt /4-Speed Malibu -Dual stage wet nitrous with heater & purge - Holley Strip Dominator, Speed Demon 750 CFM - (All MSD distributor, blaster 3 coil, 6AL, & 3 stage retard) - 4 wheel disk brakes - Aeromotive Fuel system – Boss 338 18’s - BMW 5.25 true HID projector mod - and of course... the FLAPPER - bla, bla, bla.. lots of other expensive stuff I can’t remember

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 13, 12:47 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

There are two bolts/ screws holding the fuse block to the firewall. There is also a bolt on the engine side of the firewall that goes into the fuse block from the backside. This bolt should be removed first so that when you remove the two screws on the inside holding the fuse block in place the forward engine compartment harnesses and the dash harness will separate. The bolt is between the forward lamp harness and the engine harness. Dean is correct, it is a 3/8.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 13, 1:12 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Darren

Garage

Quote:
There are two bolts/ screws holding the fuse block to the firewall.
On the inside or the car, about 2 and 7 o'clock (or top right and bottom left) 7/16 head and about 3 inch long.

USMC- Retired

Factory 12 bolt /4-Speed Malibu -Dual stage wet nitrous with heater & purge - Holley Strip Dominator, Speed Demon 750 CFM - (All MSD distributor, blaster 3 coil, 6AL, & 3 stage retard) - 4 wheel disk brakes - Aeromotive Fuel system – Boss 338 18’s - BMW 5.25 true HID projector mod - and of course... the FLAPPER - bla, bla, bla.. lots of other expensive stuff I can’t remember
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 13, 2:16 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Steve

Thanks, got it.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 13, 9:04 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Darren

Garage

So…. I have to ask Steve….. What are you do'n? The average Joe does not take this apart…..

USMC- Retired

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 13, 9:13 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Steve

Darren: I'm replacing the dash harness as part of a dash swap.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 2191 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.