1969, Lights and nothing else! - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 13, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Gene

1969, Lights and nothing else!

Good evening Chevelle-ites

A while back I asked about burned Fusable links from an improperly installed battery that resulted in smoke and bad times.

I have cured the Fusable link and now get lights, front and rear, Wiper switch, and nothing else.

I am not sure if the bulb is out in the interior light, but my radio does not work either, I also do not have the Glove Box light installed currently.

I believe it has something to do with the ignition. When I turn to run, the Generator light pops on. I am not certain if there is an issue with the starter, or the coil, or the whole distributor.

As always, I appreciate any and all information, I would not have gotten this far without your guidance.

Thanks, Show.

1969 SS CHEVELLE 454 EDELBROCK - SEEMS PRETTY HAPPY... FOR THE TIME BEING THAT IS.
3.55 Rear Gears
10.5-1 Compression

Pictures in the Gallery.

AZ Classic Chevelle Club

"Machines dont make mistakes, only men do"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 13, 5:46 PM
Gold Member
Joe

Re: 1969, Lights and nothing else!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showalter View Post
Good evening Chevelle-ites

A while back I asked about burned Fusable links from an improperly installed battery that resulted in smoke and bad times.

I have cured the Fusable link and now get lights, front and rear, Wiper switch, and nothing else.

I am not sure if the bulb is out in the interior light, but my radio does not work either, I also do not have the Glove Box light installed currently.

I believe it has something to do with the ignition. When I turn to run, the Generator light pops on. I am not certain if there is an issue with the starter, or the coil, or the whole distributor.

As always, I appreciate any and all information, I would not have gotten this far without your guidance.

Thanks, Show.
Hey Show,

From what you are describing, the interior feed is now "hot" so you're getting power into the car. Sounds like some of the dash circuits aren't working correctly.

Turn the key to "RUN"/"ON" as you did before, take your voltmeter or test light and stab EACH fuse connector clip on the fuse box. Your light should (or meter reading 12++ volts) come on with each connector. Check the clips, not the fuse ends as many time there is a corrosion layer preventing the clip from allowing current thru the fuse ends.

If this is an original fuse block, you may have to pull the fuses and clean the clips by hand to get the circuits to work properly.....

If you have a bunch of "dead" circuits after thorough cleaning/testing/inspecting, then you need to work your way up to the ignition switch as the switch is what dictates where unswitched constant battery power goes depending on the position of the key.

-If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 2202 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.