Dual relays for halogen lights kits - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 13, 2:00 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to psi3000
Dual relays for halogen lights kits

Check this out:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CERAMIC-H4-H...c662d5&vxp=mtr

for $47 shipped. I think its a deal, correct me if Im wrong. I was pricing up all the plugs and this just seemed to make more sense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 13, 2:22 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Eric

Re: Dual relays for halogen lights kits

Interesting.... subscribed to see what kind of responses this generates!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
cu. in. "cruiser"
Assembled & Tuned by
Dallas, GA
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 13, 3:00 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I was thinking about doing some research and holding off, but now I think Im just going to buy one.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 13, 9:53 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Let you know what I think when I get it.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 13, 10:36 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Darren

Garage

I know it says 100 Watt halogen max but I wonder if those are 30 amp relays…. Typically that clear stuff is kind of garbage. Easy to replace in any case

If you don’t push the limits how are you going to find the weak spots?
USMC- Retired
My car: 1970 Chevelle

Factory 12 bolt /4-Speed Malibu -Dual stage wet nitrous with heater & purge - Holley Strip Dominator, Speed Demon 750 CFM - (All MSD distributor, blaster 3 coil, 6AL, & 3 stage retard) - 4 wheel disk brakes - Aeromotive Fuel system – Boss 338 18’s - BMW 5.25 true HID projector mod - and of course... the FLAPPER - bla, bla, bla.. lots of other expensive stuff I can’t remember
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 13, 1:59 PM
Gold Member
Joe

I'll type something up on this later. I give 'em credit, but see a lot of issues.

-If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 13, 7:56 PM
Gold Member
Joe

Okay,

It's up to you, maybe you'll have good luck, but here's things I spotted and I don't like about this set-up.

-Zoom in close to the components and the sticky label on the tubing. This appears to be 100% Chinese made.

-Relays--as Darren stated, the clear ones are meant to "look cool", but are usually cheap garbage regardless of what rating they state on them (if they even do state factual ratings).

-Fuse holder is the cheapo plastic retainer style. No rubberized/sealed water/dirt/corrosion resistance at all

-Split ring connectors. Not a good idea. When you go to tighten the connection screw/bolt, whatever, they tend to bend and slip out of place.

-I don't like fuses or fuse links in headlight circuits. "One and you're done". They blow from overload or heat from corrosion build-up and you're driving down the road in complete blackness. I use breakers just like the factory. At least you'll get "flashing" to guide yourself to the side of the road during intert overload.

-It claims "ceramic sockets". Take a close look. The center *may* be ceramic, or a cheapo thermoplastic knock-off. The blue housings around the supposed ceramic are nothing more than light weight plastic.

-The instructions show fusible links. The kit has a fuse. Huh?

-The plug that plugs into the existing factory socket is a nice selling point, but it introduces another point of failure as there is nothing that locks the two plugs together and I'm sure someone will plug one into their most dirty, corroded, nasty headlamp plug and call it good rather than making a good splice.

-The price says it all.

-Does this look familiar? http://www.ebay.com/itm/H4-9003-Harn...-/180768073611

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 13, 10:39 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to davewho1
Smile Re: Dual relays for halogen lights kits

I think this guy's stuff is good:

http://www.madelectrical.com/catalog/rly-1.shtml

About the same price as the ebay junk for 2 kits.

David

1966 Fremont 11A, SS396/L35 coupe - 1 of 66,843

MM/763; A01; A39; A51; D55; M35; N40; U14; U63

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 13, 1:43 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I got it yesterday. Copper you are right the headlight connectors are ceramic but the outside is the cheep plastic. And I don't see this blade connector on my 70. Am I missing something? Maybe I have to look more.
I also saw the cheep see-through relays and thought the same thing. However I have lots of Boush relays from the junk yard that should work.
However, if this works and the plastic on the connectors hold up it will do exactly as I wanted. I should have brighter lights with little install time. Instead of having to build the harness myself. I will eventually go the BMW HID route , but for now this should suffice .
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 13, 5:49 PM
Team Member
Pete

Any update on how the install went and if there was a marked improvement?

I ran across this as well. Basically an identical item , but using better parts? and made in USA? Not sure if its worth more then double the price.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=512511

Here are the ebay links

So $110 vs $47 ???

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CERAMIC-H4-H...2e52f4&vxp=mtr

or
http://www.ebay.com/itm/161091602580...84.m1423.l2649

LS Swap

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 13, 7:39 PM
Gold Member
Joe

Pete,

It really looks to be about the same exact set-up to me. Might be a few better quality parts, but the same issues I outlined above still are issues.

Another thing to be careful of, "Made in the USA" can be interpreted many ways. I have a feeling this product should say "Assembled in the USA with foreign components".

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 13, 9:04 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Darren

Garage

Unless you are using some aftermarket, upgraded bulb… even running 0 AWG directly from the battery is not going to make much difference. Wire is inexpensive and wiring a relay is easy. I will agree that the 45+ year old sockets leave a little to be desired, that's why I didn’t use them at all….

You can make one of these harnesses for much less and it will be way better, with a little research and reading you can doing just about anything to these cars.

This brings me to my rant and I should start a new thread for this…. I heard on some car TV show the other day, the owner of the shop said “internet mechanic” and BASHED us all. What an A$$!! Read, learn and do it yourself. That’s what these old cars are for

USMC- Retired

Factory 12 bolt /4-Speed Malibu -Dual stage wet nitrous with heater & purge - Holley Strip Dominator, Speed Demon 750 CFM - (All MSD distributor, blaster 3 coil, 6AL, & 3 stage retard) - 4 wheel disk brakes - Aeromotive Fuel system – Boss 338 18’s - BMW 5.25 true HID projector mod - and of course... the FLAPPER - bla, bla, bla.. lots of other expensive stuff I can’t remember
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 14, 9:17 PM
Levon

I put halogen sealed beams in mine. No extra draw and lots of light. Fit the buckets just like any other sealed beam.

Levon Hovagimian
Team Chevelle #279
2015 Camaro ZL1 Summit White (Bone Stock)
70 Chevelle SS 454 LS5 4 speed. SOLD
Current Engine VortecPro 460 (513 HP) Original is resting

1966 427 Corvette SOLD
1973 Camaro IHRA Hot Rod (LS-6 Auto)11.00 @121 (Chased a 10.99 or better) SOLD

Priddis Greens, Ab. Canada

Last edited by LevonH; Jan 20th, 14 at 10:23 PM.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 14, 9:26 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Darren

Garage

See above.. Phantom works is the show I was referring to… as much as I LOVE car shows during the winter.. I refuse to watch that one just because the owner is a DOUCHE!

Sorry, off subject.. I'll let it go.

Back on subject… I did this https://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=400257
Several pics and VID on my car here.. for 50.00 bucks. Lots of chopping and work but TOTALLY worth it IMHO.

USMC- Retired

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 2072 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.