Re-wire project! - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old May 14th, 13, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Chris

Re-wire project!

Hey dudes. Got a couple questions for you GU-RU's. I have a 71 chevelle for starters. My whole project started around me dropping the fender linder to change the blower motor that has never worked from the day i bought my car. I purchased an AC delete panel. Popped out the UGly AC box. now i am attempting to redo the rats nest of ELECTRICAL tape, with some nice braided loom. I have a couple of relays i am not sure of, and hoping i could get some information on what they are and if i need to keep them in the car. first picture is 2 relays bolted to the firewall directly above the distributor. Not sure what either of them do any advice to what they are. The second picture is a relay that is bolted to the old AIR box that i removed. I am thinking it has something to do with AC, which i am removing anyways. The third was installed by two bolts into the side of the air box, near the blower motor resistor. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Chris

Click image for larger version

Name:	relay1.jpeg
Views:	256
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	83417

Name:	relAY2.jpeg
Views:	204
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	83425

Name:	PIC1.jpeg
Views:	188
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	83433
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old May 14th, 13, 10:47 AM
Senior Tech Team

Re: Re-wire project!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crenn View Post
Hey dudes. Got a couple questions for you GU-RU's. I have a 71 chevelle for starters. My whole project started around me dropping the fender linder to change the blower motor that has never worked from the day i bought my car. I purchased an AC delete panel. Popped out the UGly AC box. now i am attempting to redo the rats nest of ELECTRICAL tape, with some nice braided loom. I have a couple of relays i am not sure of, and hoping i could get some information on what they are and if i need to keep them in the car. first picture is 2 relays bolted to the firewall directly above the distributor. Not sure what either of them do any advice to what they are. The second picture is a relay that is bolted to the old AIR box that i removed. I am thinking it has something to do with AC, which i am removing anyways. The third was installed by two bolts into the side of the air box, near the blower motor resistor. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Chris

Attachment 83417

Attachment 83425

Attachment 83433
Can't say much about the wire mess. Cannot really see it well. The other two parts pictured are related specifically to the A/C system. Be sure you have the blower motor wired correctly for operation without the A/C. High speed blower on A/C cars uses a power separate wire and a resistor both of which you might remove when tearing out the A/C.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old May 14th, 13, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Chris

Thanks for the reply. I took the pictures from my phone and emailed them in SMALL sizing to get them to the forum. I do know that the resistor i have is a 4 wire resistor, figured out that its specific to Air conditioned cars. I have a phone call into a restoration store to get a resistor that is for NO air conditioning. I really dont want to put in all these old rusty parts back into the car. Im starting to wonder if this is a bigger job then i thought it would be. I have no AC compressor, and the AC box is out, now i meet my nemesis electrical wiring. Thanks again for your reply.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old May 14th, 13, 12:53 PM
Tech Team
Paul

I reused he original resistor network when I deleted the A/C suitcase from my '72. Mounted it inside the A/C Delete panel, on the bottom. It worked out very nicely as the wires running to it are hidden by the panel.

- Paul
'72 SS454 "W" code - triple black
VortecPro 467ci BBC
Jakes Performance Stage II M40
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 13, 3:08 PM Thread Starter
Chris

So where did you mount the resistor inside the AC DELETE box. I did get a new resistor from my own supplier. Its not quite the same as the factory one, im hoping it iwll work in place of the 4 position. And like you said you used the AC resistor in your NON ac system. I am really concerned with what i can remove and what i cant. Im pretty sure i have narrowed down all the AC cutout relays and things under the dash. But i just wanna know what wires i still need to keep to get me blower speeds, and heat. I have ordered a wiring schematic book should be here tomorrow. my haynes repair manaul wasnt clear. Thanks again for your help.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 13, 11:16 AM
Tech Team
Paul

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/show...2&postcount=20

Be sure to mount the vent hose as well.

- Paul
VortecPro 467ci BBC
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 13, 11:42 AM
Tech Team
Paul

I don't know if the '71 A/C wiring is the same as the '72, but the middle pic in your post is the A/C relay & you will need it. You won't need the sensor in the bottom pic.

On the '72 there is a fused wire that goes to the A/C relay. It's the blower high speed bypass wire. You said your resistor assembly has 4 resistors? Mine has 3. Hmm...

- Paul
VortecPro 467ci BBC
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 13, 11:54 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby10 View Post

You said your resistor assembly has 4 resistors? Mine has 3. Hmm...
3 coils 4 terminals on my spare resistors in the shop.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old May 28th, 13, 5:18 PM Thread Starter
Chris

Hi sorry for the delay in replying. My resistor has 3 coils just like the last dude had posted. 3 coils 4 connections on the back. Im thinking im gonna use the AC resistor like yourself, and hopefully if all goes well just have 4 speeds for the blower motor. Another situation im running into is that i have the heater control unit almost out, and i have 4 electrical connections i have pulled off the heater control. two are attached to the blower control switch, 1 is a 2 wire pigtail and the other is another 2 wire pigtail. I have a pitcure of it if its easier to see what i am dealing with. Any idea if those connections are needed. I have yet to trace the wires as i am still unravelling tons of electrical tape to expose my wires. Thanks again for helping me out.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old May 28th, 13, 5:47 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Hi sorry for the delay in replying. My resistor has 3 coils just like the last dude had posted. 3 coils 4 connections on the back. Im thinking im gonna use the AC resistor like yourself, and hopefully if all goes well just have 4 speeds for the blower motor. Another situation im running into is that i have the heater control unit almost out, and i have 4 electrical connections i have pulled off the heater control. two are attached to the blower control switch, 1 is a 2 wire pigtail and the other is another 2 wire pigtail. I have a pitcure of it if its easier to see what i am dealing with. Any idea if those connections are needed. I have yet to trace the wires as i am still unravelling tons of electrical tape to expose my wires. Thanks again for helping me out.
Work slowly and carefully. Document things that appear funny. I know you are saying "How the hell do I know what is funny?".

Seriously... you have a job done by a hack before you had the car. There was a new guy here a few months ago. He apparently did a rewire and messed some of it up. Can't recall the issue he had but there were "hot jumper wires" in places that there should not be. He was dribbling out information ...25 or thirty posts were in the thread before he announced "There is a brown wire jumping across the fuse box and it gets hot"!.

In short he had no clue about how to work on electrical problems. Several guys (myself included) just bailed out from frustration. The guy blew his cool, posted a "Nasty Gram" and has not been back from what I can tell. The more you can document any weird stuff you find the better off you will be if there are things not working right later. Pictures are always very helpful.

Good luck

Last edited by oman; May 28th, 13 at 6:18 PM.
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old May 28th, 13, 6:12 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Hank

I believe one relay is for the wipers and the other for an AC car, if it's like a 70. Try to trace the wires from the wiper motor, should go to one of the relays.

Hank

70 Chevelle SS396(454), M20, 3.73

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old May 28th, 13, 7:02 PM Thread Starter
Chris

I am documenting everything I see lol before I cut and replace wires I m
Making damn sure I'm removing the right wires. I'm on my phone writing this and it looks like I may be able to post pictures from here I will try it and see if it worksClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAG Free1369782108.007074.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	86650 if it doesn't work I will attach later

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old May 28th, 13, 9:05 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
I am documenting everything I see lol before I cut and replace wires I m
Making damn sure I'm removing the right wires. I'm on my phone writing this and it looks like I may be able to post pictures from here I will try it and see if it worksAttachment 86650 if it doesn't work I will attach later

FWIW. There is a thread on the Board within the last year or s that documents what those switches do in the control panel. Do a search. I did some posting in the thread but I cannot recall much more about the thread. The issue topic was more about the switches failing and getting replacements but the responses talked about what those switches do. That might help you with the wiring work. When you search look for "Oman" and "Classic Air". I know I mentioned Classic in that thread. but there are several where I talked about Classic Air. Do the search then read thru the threads...the info on what the switches do is in there.
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old May 29th, 13, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Chris

Kirby. Did you keep your AC controls in the dash or did you ditch the whole thing and put in non AC controls. I'm wondering if I'm gonna run into problems with that cluster of vacuum lines that are connected together on the back of the control switches. Any info on that?

post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old May 29th, 13, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Chris

With some searching I found your post you commented early Oman. I do beleive this is it. Now my question is, i guess i should have thought about this earlier in my decsion to completely remove my dash, but am i still going to be able to operate the car with NO Air condition, still utilizing the AC heater control. IF that makes sense. I had a local restoration shop hook me up with what they said was to be heater controls for a NON ac car. Looks different then mine, and from what i have done research wise, the non air conditioned cars had more cables that operated the doors to move air. But from your post in an earlier thread, I still have all the vacuum h oses connected to the back of the heater control. I am really hoping i dont have to do a bigger job to eliminate the AC components. Thanks again for your help.

"Vac does operate some of the doors in the in the air handler under the dash. This occurs in combination with the single cable that operates a large deflector door in the air handler. That single cable moves one of the big doors in the air handler but depending on other vac actuated "signals" to "pots" on the air handler different things will happen. As to heat ....remember you have hot water in the heater core at ALL times without the in heater hose shut off valve. Defrost and heat to the windshield area is controlled / managed by the air handler thru electrical and vac switches.

Everything done in that heater box is a combination of the position of the cable, the electrical switches and the "vac switches". When you move any controls (except the fan control) you are both activating electrical switches and changing the positioning of the vac manifolds / switches sending vac to different parts of the air handler.

Without the fan in an "on" position none of the other electrical switches in the control panel are "live". The fan not working properly is key here because the activation of the fan switch is the first thing that happens when turning on the A/C or the heat. You need an electrical schematic to trace all this interdependent electrical and vac activity. The manual has very good diagrams of the electricals and vac hook ups.

Explaining this in detail would take forever here. Look at a shop manual it will give you more info than you can likely stand about the A/C system."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 2556 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.