HID upgrade using BMW headlamps (long read) - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 13, 9:44 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Darren

Garage
Re: HID upgrade using BMW headlamps (long read)

Quote:
Now Iím not sure if this is with all of the headlamps but the lenses on mine came off once the chrome rings where pulled off. So be careful not to drop the lens!
I'm sure you have figured this out by now but the lens is NOT supposed to come right off, they are sealed... sooooooo, if you have not driven in the rain yet, please seal that bad boy up or you are going to be all kinds of angry when you do

If you donít push the limits how are you going to find the weak spots?
USMC- Retired
My car: 1970 Chevelle

Factory 12 bolt /4-Speed Malibu -Dual stage wet nitrous with heater & purge - Holley Strip Dominator, Speed Demon 750 CFM - (All MSD distributor, blaster 3 coil, 6AL, & 3 stage retard) - 4 wheel disk brakes - Aeromotive Fuel system Ė Boss 338 18ís - BMW 5.25 true HID projector mod - and of course... the FLAPPER - bla, bla, bla.. lots of other expensive stuff I canít remember
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 13, 3:36 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Darren

Garage

Really happy, these things cleaned up GREAT... for 40.00 bucks I don't see how I could go wrong.

Also ordered a set of 357047-1 DDM35W.H3.5000K- with digital ballasts last night. This should be fun!

I don't work here or anything but will plug them if allowed, they have nice HID kits that DON'T flicker! http://www.ddmtuning.com/

USMC- Retired

Factory 12 bolt /4-Speed Malibu -Dual stage wet nitrous with heater & purge - Holley Strip Dominator, Speed Demon 750 CFM - (All MSD distributor, blaster 3 coil, 6AL, & 3 stage retard) - 4 wheel disk brakes - Aeromotive Fuel system Ė Boss 338 18ís - BMW 5.25 true HID projector mod - and of course... the FLAPPER - bla, bla, bla.. lots of other expensive stuff I canít remember
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 13, 2:38 PM
Tech Team
Bart

ON the lows - when you cut the bucket, does lens then ride on the core support? It seems like if you cut off a bunch of the bucket the light would sit deeper?

Im working on a retrofit too but not sure if it will work. You can see how far the projectors sit off the headlight housing so I'll have to take a bit of bucket off.

1969 Chevelle Malibu 396BB, DNE2 4speed (do not want - would sell), 12 Bolt, 18x9.5 Snettertons with 245/40 and 285/35s Conti3s.
My Build thread -

Wanted - 2" Cowl Hood. Would trade my 4".

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 13, 4:54 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Darren

Garage

The 2 pieces just sandwich the light in there like before with 2 of the 3 same mounting points. You will have to design a third for where the spring used to go. They set at exactly the same depth.

USMC- Retired

post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 13, 6:02 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Darren

Garage

BTW the BMW lights as just as deep if not deeper.... they are made by Hella and are already done..... Lot less work and expense depending on the salvage yards in your area... I had 3 cars to choose from when I got mine.

USMC- Retired

post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 13, 7:43 PM
lloyd

Has anyone out there attempted this conversion on a 1964 or 1965 models? I'm converting mine over to H4's but this looks like it would be a significant improvement over the standard fare.
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 13, 8:00 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Darren

Garage

My best friend has a 65 (this is he and I at a car show last year) I don't see it being much different.

USMC- Retired

post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old May 10th, 13, 11:39 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Darren

Garage

USMC- Retired

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 14, 7:52 PM
Tech Team
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bububabo View Post
Has anyone out there attempted this conversion on a 1964 or 1965 models? I'm converting mine over to H4's but this looks like it would be a significant improvement over the standard fare.
I did my 65 el camino this summer, I bought aftermarket bmw headlights from ebay. It was a little different procedure but do-able. Great improvement night driving...
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 15, 4:19 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Will

Garage

What was different about the procedure?
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 16, 1:13 AM
Senior Tech Team
Danny

Garage
Send a message via AIM to bluechevelless Send a message via Yahoo to bluechevelless

This is pretty sweet upgrade. Im one of the a$$holes with HIDs in my regular lenses and I love it. I wish that you didnt have to cut so much out of the core support to do this mod tho.

1970 Chevelle SS 396
Originally Mist Green
Dark green Interior
AC PW PL

post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 16, 1:09 PM
Senior Tech Team
James

Holy smokes those are some bright lights!
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 16, 12:30 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Darren

Garage

No regrets, still love them! AND the car is done now

USMC- Retired

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1228 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.