Antenna in Windshield Cable Replacement - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 13, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Antenna in Windshield Cable Replacement

1972 Chevelle.

Has anyone ever replaced the cable that leads from the "burried in the windshield glass" antenna to the radio? At the center of the windshield more or less behind the radio there is a cable that runs to the radio. The cable is attached to the "windshield" / windshield edge area if the glass somehow. How is that cable replaced? There appear to be two fasteners that somehow connect the cable to the "windshield". Looking at the Ground Up Catalog the fasteners seem to come from the engine side of the cowl / firewall thru into the passenger compartment.

What has to be removed in the lower windshield area to get this done. My cable was snipped off just inside the passengers compartment. I have access to the place where the cable connects to the "windshield" but I cannot figure out how one removes those fasteners. Please don't say I gotta pull the windshield out! If those two fasteners come in from what would be front to rear (engine side of firewall into the passengers compartment side) then there has to be access somewhere to get at the heads of those fasteners.

Any help appreciated.

Attached is a link to the Ground Up page that shows the cable I am talking about.

http://www.ss396.com/mm5/merchant.mv..._Code=ANT-7088

The issue is how do I get to those screw heads..where do I access them?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 13, 11:30 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Richy Rich

Send a message via AIM to Hi-po SS 454
Re: Antenna in Windshield Cable Replacement

I changed mine as it too was snipped off inside dash area. It was back in 2007 and I can't remember the process. I did change the windshield which Is why I bought a new cable. I'll have to take a look at mine and see if my memory clicks. With dash pad off you should get a good view and an idea how to remove.

Rich
71 SS MJ 468" 570 HP 608 Torque Hyd Roller M22W (autogear) Muncie 4 sp 12B 3.55 posi...
76 TA SOLD
01 HD Deuce

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Walk around vid:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 13, 4:40 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Erich

You will need to remove the wiper arms first. Then carefully remove the chrome ( stainless steel ) strip at the base of the windshield. You'll be then able to see the antenna lead at the rectangular opening at the center bottom area of the windshield. This isn't a great photo but you can partially see the antenna connector in the upper right corner.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3587.jpg
Views:	775
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	59796  

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 13, 9:47 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbvelleman View Post
You will need to remove the wiper arms first. Then carefully remove the chrome ( stainless steel ) strip at the base of the windshield. You'll be then able to see the antenna lead at the rectangular opening at the center bottom area of the windshield. This isn't a great photo but you can partially see the antenna connector in the upper right corner.
I was afraid it was gonna be something like that! I suppose that removing the windshield would be worse and I thought that even GM would not do something as dumb as that. Now another follow up question. How does one remove that Stainless plate? I bet it starts with "remove the hood" then continues with something like "Carefully pry the stainless plate from its retaining clamps using the blunt end of a bottle cap opener". Why me????
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 13, 9:52 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Quote:

You have a PM and an E-mail

Last edited by oman; Jan 9th, 13 at 10:26 AM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 13, 10:28 AM
Senior Tech Team
Claude

Arrow Re: Antenna in Windshield Cable Replacement

I've replaced the cable myself and it did not take more than 20 minutes, so it's not that hard to do. It's just there are some guys on this site that like to dramatize a little... Anyways, open the hood and remove the two wiper arms, then unscrew the wide stainless steel moulding (on which the wipers are "parked" when not in use) and about in the middle of the car there is some kind of "square window" into which there's a connector. Pull the connector off, unscrew the two screws on each side of the connection and pull the old wire out (making sure that you've already disconnected it from the radio). Then you can pull out the wire out. Then reinstall a new wire and reverse the procedure and you're done! See?...nothing complicated!
Claude.

1971 Chevelle SS
1987 Buick Grand National 9.48 @ 142 mph
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 13, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofastforyou View Post
I've replaced the cable myself and it did not take more than 20 minutes, so it's not that hard to do. It's just there are some guys on this site that like to dramatize a little... Anyways, open the hood and remove the two wiper arms, then unscrew the wide stainless steel moulding (on which the wipers are "parked" when not in use) and about in the middle of the car there is some kind of "square window" into which there's a connector. Pull the connector off, unscrew the two screws on each side of the connection and pull the old wire out (making sure that you've already disconnected it from the radio). Then you can pull out the wire out. Then reinstall a new wire and reverse the procedure and you're done! See?...nothing complicated!
Claude.
Claude...how is it going? Good to hear from you again.

I need to look at the car..it is not parked here so I cannot get a grip on what the removal / replacement of the Stainless piece was gonna take. Finally wrapping up the factory A/C install we talked about some time ago and this little PIA bit me.

I have some great PICs of the A/C conversion if you would like to see them. Send me a private E-mail at [email protected] and I will respond with some pics of the project.

Oman
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 13, 11:24 AM
Administrator

Garage

The connector under the hood are the wires to the windshield antenna. Remove carefully to prevent breaking the wires. Not a hard job, hardest part is getting to the radio to unplug the antenna wire.

Team Chevelle Gold Founding Member #42

L29 454, 4L80E, 12 bolt posi 3.31, GM 4 wheel disc brakes
63 Nova wagon

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 13, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
The connector under the hood are the wires to the windshield antenna. Remove carefully to prevent breaking the wires. Not a hard job, hardest part is getting to the radio to unplug the antenna wire.
Just looked at the car...SS panel comes out with about 6 screws. Doesn't look like a big deal. Thanks for the warning about the wires. Claude ...thank you again !!!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 13, 12:37 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Erich

Quote:
Just looked at the car...SS panel comes out with about 6 screws.
Besides the screws the ends tuck underneath the vertical side moulding on the windshield. Sometimes it will also be stuck to the sealer on the bottom of the windshield. I mentioned to carefully remove it. I removed one years ago and it got tweaked slightly. When I put it back on it would not lay tight against the windshield in one area. This caused the wipers to touch the slightly raised edge and not go to their fully parked position.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 13, 1:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Besides the screws the ends tuck underneath the vertical side moulding on the windshield. Sometimes it will also be stuck to the sealer on the bottom of the windshield. I mentioned to carefully remove it. I removed one years ago and it got tweaked slightly. When I put it back on it would not lay tight against the windshield in one area. This caused the wipers to touch the slightly raised edge and not go to their fully parked position.
Got it. After seeing the area on the car earlier this AM I can see the process. I had just not looked at that area in any detail before today. Bending that would be a PIA for sure. Any thoughts on finding a fender antenna that will fit based on the PICs I sent? If I can avoid removing that panel it would be good the windshield antenna is the greatest thing going but now I have a fall back if I can't get something that will fit the restricted area I am working with.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 13, 6:07 PM
Tech Team
Dale

There is really nothing to it!! You just take out the screws and remove the trim and there is the antenna connector. I didnt even have to take the wipers off mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 2191 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.