New Engine Harness/fan hookup ? - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 12, 8:00 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Gregg

New Engine Harness/fan hookup ?

This is a 70 Chevelle BB with AC.

Replaced the original engine harness with a new American Auto Wire Harness.The new harness has an orange wire with boot for the blower motor. The original harness had this wire cut off.

Previously with the original harness everything worked, fan on all speeds AC and heater and vent.

Does anyone have info on where the orange wire connects? I'm thinking to the blower motor, but before I take the inner wheel well out I thought to ask you all first.

The one problem I have in addition to this is that the black wire from the horn relay is not connected, I need a new one cause someones big fat foot cracked the fuse link shell and I have no electric going to the relay for testing. BTW it was my fat foot! Sure would have liked to put blame elsewhere, but I cant.

Gregg
69 Malibu SS drive train
70 SS Chevelle LS5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 12, 8:10 PM
Levon

Re: New Engine Harness/fan hookup ?

With A/C you do not use the single orange wire.
A/C has it's own harness and power to the fan comes from a purple wire off of a relay and the resistor farm mounted on top of the A/C box You should have a big orange wire with an in line fuse that is connected to a plug shared with a black wire The black runs over to the horn relay.

Time for a wiring diagram ;-). www.classiccarwiring.com has a good colour one (although we have found 1 error in it but it will not affect what you are doing).

Levon Hovagimian
Team Chevelle #279
2015 Camaro ZL1 Summit White (Bone Stock)
70 Chevelle SS 454 LS5 4 speed. SOLD
Current Engine VortecPro 460 (513 HP) Original is resting
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1966 427 Corvette SOLD
1973 Camaro IHRA Hot Rod (LS-6 Auto)11.00 @121 (Chased a 10.99 or better) SOLD

Priddis Greens, Ab. Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 12, 10:50 PM
Tech Team
Donny

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzwhite View Post
This is a 70 Chevelle BB with AC.

Replaced the original engine harness with a new American Auto Wire Harness.The new harness has an orange wire with boot for the blower motor. The original harness had this wire cut off.

Previously with the original harness everything worked, fan on all speeds AC and heater and vent.

Does anyone have info on where the orange wire connects? I'm thinking to the blower motor, but before I take the inner wheel well out I thought to ask you all first.

The one problem I have in addition to this is that the black wire from the horn relay is not connected, I need a new one cause someones big fat foot cracked the fuse link shell and I have no electric going to the relay for testing. BTW it was my fat foot! Sure would have liked to put blame elsewhere, but I cant.
Levon, The orange wire was either cut off where it broke out from the harness or was looped about every 6 inches, than taped back to the trunk of the harness depending of which plant the car was built at. The purple wire in the A/C harness is the blower wire that gets used. The 1st three speeds should work fine without that black wire hooked up to the blower relay. That only comes into play on "high" speed.

Donny

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 12, 11:24 PM
Levon

Hi Donny. Merry Christmas.

Levon Hovagimian
Team Chevelle #279
2015 Camaro ZL1 Summit White (Bone Stock)
70 Chevelle SS 454 LS5 4 speed. SOLD
Current Engine VortecPro 460 (513 HP) Original is resting

1966 427 Corvette SOLD
1973 Camaro IHRA Hot Rod (LS-6 Auto)11.00 @121 (Chased a 10.99 or better) SOLD

Priddis Greens, Ab. Canada

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 12, 11:27 PM
Tech Team
Donny

Quote:
Originally Posted by LevonH View Post
Hi Donny. Merry Christmas.
You too buddy!

Donny
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 12, 5:45 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Gregg

Excellent!

As Donny pointed out the high fan operates by the external wire from the horn relay. Everything is working, well that is after cleaning up the insulation goop that hardened in the connector preventing it from getting a good fit into the dash harness, justcleaned the goop in between the connectors didn't remove the goop. with it being cooler it got a bit hard.

Thanks Levon & Donny.

Gregg
69 Malibu SS drive train
70 SS Chevelle LS5

Last edited by gzwhite; Dec 24th, 12 at 11:14 AM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 12, 10:25 AM
Senior Tech Team

Levon and Donny

Best wishes for the Holiday.

Oman
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 12, 11:54 AM
Tech Team
Donny

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman View Post
Levon and Donny

Best wishes for the Holiday.

Oman
To you as well Oman!

Donny
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 12, 1:50 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by aawtech View Post
To you as well Oman!

Donny
Thanks for your help this fall on the A/C harness. Almost done with the install.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 12, 9:37 AM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

Donny, if you see this plz check the thread "what is this harness and what does it go to?" I've volunteered you/AAW for several things in there, can you do all that stuff?

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 12, 10:39 AM
Tech Team
Donny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Mobley View Post
Donny, if you see this plz check the thread "what is this harness and what does it go to?" I've volunteered you/AAW for several things in there, can you do all that stuff?
Hi Tom, I have noticed it, but there was quite a bit that was being suggested to the gent. Yes, we can modify the engine for HEI and the F/L for internal reg. with no problem at all. So many folks want to try and fix and repair 40 year old stuff that has already been cobbled-up in one form or another. I am hesitant to offer a solution, because, for my money, it should just be torn out and replaced as there were too many questions and too much done to it already. When I suggest that, occasionally some members have stated that the only reason I'm saying to "just replace it" is that I'm trying to generate business for the company, and that just is not the case. More often than not, I have helped people with problems many times over without them ever spending a dime with the company that I work for. My position is that if you need to "do all that" to a 40 year old harness, it flat out needs to be replaced, period (if it's available). I will be happy to help this gentleman if he is interested in replacing things, but I just can't in good conscience help him repair this or that, and it has nothing to do with not spending money to buy our product. The hobbyist in me (remember, I own 7 of these cars myself) will not let me tell someone to repair something that I know in my heart needs to be replaced because I know that there is a potential problem brewing beneath the surface. I hope you can understand my quandary here. Again, please send him a PM and tell him to contact me direct if he wants some help and counseling on what my suggestions would be based on his wants and needs. I just hate to chime in on a repair situation when I know that it's not a good idea.

Donny

Last edited by aawtech; Dec 26th, 12 at 1:29 PM.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 12, 11:00 AM
Senior Tech Team

I agree with Donny. As the old saying goes.."There is never time to do it right there is always time to do it over". I am not sure what the original poster wants to do but messing with 40 year old harnesses, trouble shooting and making modifications is asking for heartburn if you ask me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 2433 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.