Need Help with my Ignition! - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 12, 7:35 PM Thread Starter
Bob

Need Help with my Ignition!

Ok, so I had a crack in a new Positive battery cable. The cable was new but only lasted a few months before the Lead clamp cracked off. the cable was still clamped on the positive battery post though. I noticed it because the car lost power one day when I went to start it up. Anyway, I was out the other night and blew the 30 amp fuse off the cable to the ground. I changed out the cable and fuse and was able to start the car.
Now I can't shut the motor off. when I turn the key to the off position, nothing happens, the motor will not shut down. Also, I have to keep the battery disconnected because the power is always on now. The Oil light and Gen light are on at all times. Is this an ignition switch problem??? How can I fix it??
It's a 1970 Chevelle with a 307 automatic trans.

Help,
Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 12, 2:03 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Re: Need Help with my Ignition!

Bob,
Check your ignition switch to see if it is stuck. Does your key still have that spring back when you turn it to the start position? If it does not it could bet the gear that hooks to the rod that goes to the switch. The switch is on top of the column, check it out.

Nelson

Jim Sheas Steering Papers
GM Steering Information Site
Top of Form

Bottom of Form

Ignition Switch - General Information
There are two different ignition switches. The standard (non adjustable) steering column ignition switch works in the opposite direction from the T&T or tilt steering column switch. In other words, the standard column has a rod that pushes down on the standard ignition switch to move it into the START position. The adjustable column pulls up on a rod to move its ignition switch to the START position. Although either switch will connect to your vehicle wiring harness, the switches are unique and not interchangeable. You will find that the adjustment procedures are mirror opposites of each other.

A point of information. There are five positions inside the ignition switch. They are as follows: START, RUN, OFF, OFF-LOCK, and ACCESSORY. There is a slider on the underside of the switch that the rod from the column head attaches. You can operate the slider with a small phillips screwdriver or allen wrench. You will find that there is a spring return at the end of travel when you reach the START position. The other end of travel will be ACCESSORY.

Remove Ignition Switch
The ignition switch #55 should be positioned in the OFF position before removing.
If the lock cylinder has already been removed from the column proceed as follows:

Standard Columns the connecting rod to the switch should be pulled up toward the steering wheel to a definate stop and then moved down two detents, which is the OFF position.

Tilt Columns the connecting rod #38 to the switch should be pulled all the way down toward the intermediate shaft and then moved up two detents, which is the OFF position.

Now remove the two attaching screws #54 and the switch. You may need to twist the switch 90 degrees to get it off the actuator rod.

If replacing the ignition switch was all that was required, the installation procedure follows next.

Installing and Adjusting the Ignition Switch

Std Column Description #5; Adjustable Column Description #7

In order to correctly install the ignition switch it is necessary for the lock cylinder to be installed in the column and placed in the OFF position. On all columns, reach down to the lower column lever and move it down to its lowest position. Now rotate the lock cylinder all the way counterclockwise until it stops. This will be the OFF position.

You should have removed the ignition switch in the OFF position. However, if you are in doubt that it is correct, proceed as follows:

Move the slider inside the ignition switch all the way to the end of travel (that will be the ACCESSORY position) where it should detent and stay in that position. If in doubt, the other extreme will be the START position and you will feel a spring return. Now move the slider two detent positions back from the ACCESSORY position.
Installing and Adjusting the Ignition Switch (Continued)
Fit the actuator rod into the slider hole and assemble it to the column with the two screws. Lightly push the switch down the column (away from the steering wheel), to take out lash in the actuator rod, and tighten the mounting screws. Caution should be exercised to prevent moving the switch out of the OFF detent. Tighten the screws to 35 in-lbs

71 Malibu 400 B B Conv _72 GS 455 Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming: "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 12, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Bob

Re: Need Help with my Ignition!

Nelson, Thanks so much for your help. Yes, the key will spring back after a start like it always has. The issue is that in the off position, the engine will not shut down. Also remember, the oil and gen lights are on when the engine is off. also, all power is on in the car, blower motor etc. even with the key in the off position.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 2433 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.