painless wiring and console hrness - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 12, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Gregg

painless wiring and console hrness

I will be the first to admit wiring and me dont get along. My question is i have the painless wiring kit installed but where the does the console harness ( i have the harness from NPD) plug into? Do i have to buy the connectors as i dont think they are attached to the painless harness?
Thanks for your time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 12, 1:51 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage
Re: painless wiring and console hrness

Check out this thread. Maybe it will give you the answers.

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/show...t=console+wire
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 12, 10:58 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

What year car? Did you order a harness for a console equipped car? If not there probably weill not be a plug to plug into. From the factory almost always if your car did not come with a console the plug will not be there.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 12, 2:03 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorr View Post
I will be the first to admit wiring and me dont get along. My question is i have the painless wiring kit installed but where the does the console harness ( i have the harness from NPD) plug into? Do i have to buy the connectors as i dont think they are attached to the painless harness?
Thanks for your time
Gregg, this subject has been discussed to death, and a search of this site would reveal the following: the Console Harness plugs into the Console Extension Harness. The Console Extension Harness plugs into the Dash Harness -- Maybe. There MAY be a plug on the Dash Harness for the Console Extension Harness (66 % of the '69 Chevelles I've owned had the plug, but never had the console). Look on the Dash Harness behind the Radio (where the Dash Harness branches), if you have the console plug that's where it will be. If your Dash Harness DOES NOT have the plug, you'll need to buy the plug from American Autowire and fabricate a short harness to splice into your Dash Harness. You can do a site search to find out where the wires attach.

Our You Tube Vids:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 12, 2:28 PM
Tech Team
Donny

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorr View Post
Thanks for your time
I will be happy to address this for you. The problem that you have is that there won't be a plug for the console on a Painless harness ( as many have suggested that you look for) as they are very a generic harness and do not have the stock plugs like that on them unfortunately. They in no way, shape, or form look or install like a stock harness.

To tie the stock console harness into a Painless kit, You'll need to do the following:

splice/connect the orange wire in the factory console plug to the Painless courtesy circuit, the gray to the dash lamps circuit, the white to the courtesy lamp ground circuit, and the black to a ground. In addition, if it is an automatic car, you'll need to splice in the neutral safety switch and back up lamp leads.

These types of things are what separates our Classic Update kits from the other kits out there on the market as our kits address and come complete with these connections.

If you follow the directions above, everything should work fine. That is our console harness if it was purchased from NPD, but it's meant to install into a stock application, not an aftermarket harness. That is why you are having the issues that you are. Good luck, let me know if you need anything else.

Donny (AAW)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 12, 5:29 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Gregg

Thank you everyone that responded. aawtech next time i will research better and get a complete harness.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 2486 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.