Horn grounding issue / NK1 steering wheel install help - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 12, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Derek

Horn grounding issue / NK1 steering wheel install help

Hey guys,

Need some troubleshooting help on my '70 horns and new steering NK1 cushioned grip wheel.

My horns have always been intermittent and I thought it was bad grounds on the two SS wheel buttons; turns out it looks like my cancelling cam has been messed up. The ground contact at the base of the tower on the cam is very intermittent.

I have 3 main questions:
  • I can make the horns work by wedging a contact down in the tower with the other end connected with a good ground; it takes some wiggling though as even good contact with the small face at the base of the tower doesn't work. Should I be able to get the horns to work just by touching this contact? (I can also get the horns to work by sticking the grounded contact behind the cam and touching the metal)
  • For the life of me I cannot get the retainer plate off as seen in these pics; is there a trick to this besides just pull hard, or perhaps a puller?
  • I attached a pic of the steering wheel hardware. My understanding is that once I get the cam/ground issue worked out, the spring goes down the cam tower followed by the shaft with the black sleeve with the retainer pins on it (locks it into top of cam tower). Is this correct?

I feel like if I could get that plate off I could see more clearly what is going on and replace the cam with the new one, hopefully that fixes it.

Thanks in advance!

Derek
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IK-579.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	54903   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5776.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	54904   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5778.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	54905  

Derek

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ACES #9562
It's all ball bearings these days

Last edited by Mach77; Jul 16th, 12 at 11:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 12, 7:56 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Blanchard

Re: Horn grounding issue / NK1 steering wheel install help

There is a tool available that you will need to remove that lock plate. It is horse shoe in shape and holds on to the threaded center shaft. It will allow you to evenly compress the lock plate down, so that you can remove a retaining ring that is on the shaft and holding the plate in place. Should be able to get it at an auto parts store.
The spring goes in the hole first, followed by the contact (piece with wire that connects to horn button) followed by retainer(your black piece.) the center shaft is the ground point that completes the circuit. If you assemble the spring/contact/retainer and touch the wire to the center shaft, the horn should blast.
Good luck with it.

Blanchard
1970 El Camino
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 12, 9:06 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Darren

Garage

I made oneÖ.. 2.5 inch exhaust pipe.. about 2 inches of it. Welded a strap across the one end and drilled a hole in the center. Placed it over the steering shaft, strap end up and tightened the nut until the snap ring is exposed

If you donít push the limits how are you going to find the weak spots?
USMC- Retired
My car: 1970 Chevelle

Factory 12 bolt /4-Speed Malibu -Dual stage wet nitrous with heater & purge - Holley Strip Dominator, Speed Demon 750 CFM - (All MSD distributor, blaster 3 coil, 6AL, & 3 stage retard) - 4 wheel disk brakes - Aeromotive Fuel system Ė Boss 338 18ís - BMW 5.25 true HID projector mod - and of course... the FLAPPER - bla, bla, bla.. lots of other expensive stuff I canít remember

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 12, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Derek

Thanks guys. I see the tool I need now. I was able to push the lock plate in some while I was messing with it yesterday so maybe I can enlist my neighbor to pull the snap ring off while i depress it.

Derek

ACES #9562
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 12, 5:39 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Darren

Garage

I got mine out with no help..... your a better man than me if you can get it back in though... without some kind of tool that is

EDIT: Unfortunately the shaft it's self has some up and down play after the clip is removed.. without the 2 opposing forces (the tool creates), it's damn near impossible to get back together.

USMC- Retired

Factory 12 bolt /4-Speed Malibu -Dual stage wet nitrous with heater & purge - Holley Strip Dominator, Speed Demon 750 CFM - (All MSD distributor, blaster 3 coil, 6AL, & 3 stage retard) - 4 wheel disk brakes - Aeromotive Fuel system Ė Boss 338 18ís - BMW 5.25 true HID projector mod - and of course... the FLAPPER - bla, bla, bla.. lots of other expensive stuff I canít remember
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 12, 3:07 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Derek

Thanks Darren. Either way I'll probably end up with a broken nose (or worse, steering wheel).

Derek

ACES #9562
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 14, 3:17 PM
Mike

I'm having a grounding issue and haven't taken the center cap off of the horn before and don't want to damage it. Is there anything special that needs to be done to take the center cap off to get to the interior components?

Thanks for any help.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 14, 3:31 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Darren

Garage

Mike, itís always better to start your own thread for your particular problem, some folks get a little ticked and feel like you are hijacking their thread

You need to be more specific about the steering wheel in your car and the yearÖ ďIFĒ its factory and 70-72 there are 2 Phillips screws in the back, one on each side.

USMC- Retired

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 14, 4:31 PM
Mike

Thanks Darren, I'll remember that. Just thought since this was an old thread it wouldn't bother anyone and didn't want anyone to think I didn't search first.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 14, 5:19 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Darren

Garage

It'll all good sir Is that what you needed to know?

USMC- Retired

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 14, 5:19 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Gene

I had a similar issue, the previous owner had an issue with it, and snapped the tower off the turn signal canceling cam, I tried to go in and fix it, even got the retired Sergeant Major at the base hobby shop in there.

After all that it still didnt work, and now my steering wheel is crooked and I can't get the shaft unstuck to spin the wheel to level it. Good thing I hoard EVERY single part that comes off that car when I replace it so I can put the "bad" one in.

What I ended up doing was running a seperate circuit with an inline fuse under the dash. Its fun because I can click it on and it just stays on in traffic.

1969 SS CHEVELLE 454 EDELBROCK - SEEMS PRETTY HAPPY... FOR THE TIME BEING THAT IS.
3.55 Rear Gears
10.5-1 Compression

Pictures in the Gallery.

AZ Classic Chevelle Club

"Machines dont make mistakes, only men do"
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 14, 8:19 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Derek

mach77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf74 View Post
I'm having a grounding issue and haven't taken the center cap off of the horn before and don't want to damage it. Is there anything special that needs to be done to take the center cap off to get to the interior components?

Thanks for any help.
Mike, If you mean the center cap on the outside of the NK1 wheel I believe it just pops off, you just have to pull it straight out. It's been a while since I have had that thing apart.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 14, 9:01 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Darren

Garage

Probably right but again, there are about (I stopped counting at about) 47 different kinds of NK1 steering wheels. Precise questions tend to get you precise answers.

Mine just pops off too, but FAR from factoryÖ

USMC- Retired

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 14, 9:11 PM
Mike

Kerek;
I was talking about the center cap (with the chevy emblem on it) on the outside of the unit. I'll try pulling it off tomorrow. Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 2038 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.