Starter Wiring - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 12, 1:00 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Starter Wiring

I need help wiring my Starter on my '67 Chevelle, when I had the engine in the car I was running a Point Distributor, I'm going to be putting in my rebuilt engine back in and going with a HEI distributor

From the Wiring harness I have a:
-Purple Wire (Soldered to a white wire)
-Orange Wire (going to Heater Core Motor)
-Black Wire (with White Insulation)

Can someone please tell where the wires go on the Starter I have Numbered the terminals on the starter
Thanks

1967 Chevelle Oshawa Built Car
-427 .60 over, Lunati 60211 Roller cam
-Super T10 2.64
-Dana 60 3.54 Posi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 12, 1:45 AM
Senior Tech Team
Vince

Re: Starter Wiring

https://www.chevelles.com/techref/ftecref4.html
check this link out
#2 is the battery
your purple/white soldier wire goes to the "s" terminal on the solenoid.

68-Malibu 427bbc/t4oo/3.73-12bolt/pro charger f1-r
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 12, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceS427bb View Post
https://www.chevelles.com/techref/ftecref4.html
check this link out
#2 is the battery
your purple/white soldier wire goes to the "s" terminal on the solenoid.

Kk so the purple/white wire and the battery cable go on #2, which terminal does the Black Wire (with White Insulation) go on?

-Super T10 2.64
-Dana 60 3.54 Posi

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 12, 11:41 AM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Nothing but the battery cable goes on #2 (before 1972)

With an HEI you won't need the ballast resister shown or the cloth covered resistive wire that is coming out of the harness with the orange wire. (I don't know what the brown wire going into the gutter is.)
You also won't need anything on the solenoid's "R" terminal (#1)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ign_circuit.jpg
Views:	13579
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	52024  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 12, 5:27 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Nothing but the battery cable goes on #2 (before 1972)

With an HEI you won't need the ballast resister shown or the cloth covered resistive wire that is coming out of the harness with the orange wire. (I don't know what the brown wire going into the gutter is.)
You also won't need anything on the solenoid's "R" terminal (#1)
I'm confused, if only the battery cable goes on #2 where does the purple/white wire go?, and the Black Wire (with White Insulation) go?, the Brown wire is my tach Wire

-Super T10 2.64
-Dana 60 3.54 Posi
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 12, 5:47 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

The purple wire goes on the solenoid's "S" terminal.

I *think* "the Black Wire (with White Insulation)" that you are talking about is the "cloth covered resistive wire" that does not get connected to anything anymore.

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 12, 5:51 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Quote:

I *think* "the Black Wire (with White Insulation)" that you are talking about is the "cloth covered resistive wire" that does not get connected to anything anymore.
oh ok thanks for clearing it up for me, so the brown wire (tach) and 12 volt source goes to the HEI distributor

-Super T10 2.64
-Dana 60 3.54 Posi
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 12, 6:06 PM
Tech Team
Sergio

Quote:

Can't that wire just be replaced with a normal 12GA wire and used to power the electronic ignition?
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 12, 6:23 PM
Senior Tech Team
Vince

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta View Post
Can't that wire just be replaced with a normal 12GA wire and used to power the electronic ignition?
yes where this cloth covered wire comes out of the firewall plug and goes into the engine harness you will want to remove and splice in normal wire going to the coil and hei distributor/box as per the hei-manufacturer wiring diagram.
unless you are using a Mallory hei-distributor you most likely will need to remove the balast resistor next the coil also....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967 chevelle View Post
oh ok thanks for clearing it up for me, so the brown wire (tach) and 12 volt source goes to the HEI distributor
the tach wire will most likely need to be routed to your hei-distributor or box.
you will find out the wire routing in the manufacturers wiring diagram, when you have the hei-componets you intend to run...

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 12, 8:04 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967 chevelle View Post
Yes, they both go to the HEI distributor cap.
And like Vince said, you can replace that resistive wire at the bulkhead connector with a regular 14 gauge wire IF you can find the required terminal. (I got them at my Chevy dealer)

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 12, 9:50 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceS427bb View Post
yes where this cloth covered wire comes out of the firewall plug and goes into the engine harness you will want to remove and splice in normal wire going to the coil and hei distributor/box as per the hei-manufacturer wiring diagram.
unless you are using a Mallory hei-distributor you most likely will need to remove the balast resistor next the coil also....

the tach wire will most likely need to be routed to your hei-distributor or box.
you will find out the wire routing in the manufacturers wiring diagram, when you have the hei-componets you intend to run...
I have a Summit Racing Blueprinted HEI Distributors which is pretty much a stock replacement HEI there was no wire diaphram in the manual, i'm confuded because the last time i had the car out (18 years ago) i had a HEI distributor in there but when i pulled the motor i did not mark where the wires go, i remember i had to get 12 volt source to feed the HEI, i had a wire from the fuse box going to the distributor, i have removed the resistor and Accel coil off the Firewall, so i guess the cloth covered wire doesn't go anywhere? so does the Purple/ white wire go to "S" terminal?
Thanks

-Super T10 2.64
-Dana 60 3.54 Posi
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 12, 12:54 AM
Senior Tech Team
Vince

https://www.chevelles.com/techref/ftecref5.html

the cloth covered wire needs to be removed from firewall bulkhead and replace with a 12gauge. hei problems are caused by Insufficient wire gauge to "BAT" or "B+" terminal. You must have 12 gauge wire or thicker. GM knows this, but often cars get converted to HEI and thin wire or the old resistance wire is used. This will produce weak spark, especially at higher RPM.
Notes on wiring for an "HEI" distributor with the coil in the cap;
If you are converting from a points type distributor, you have to make sure that the "resistance" power wire is bypassed! It's best to just run a new 12-guage wire from the fuse block. This wire goes to the terminal marked "BAT" or �B+� on the distributor cap. I�m told that the average electrical draw of the HEI is fairly low, but the instantaneous draw can be quite high.� That�s why you need such a large wire feeding power to it.
There is no longer a need for the power wire that comes from the starter �R� terminal.
On most HEI's, there are three wires that come from the base of the distributor and they plug into the cap. It's a connector block and can't be plugged in wrong.
the hei distributor cap is labled with tach and +B+ terminals=connect the tach wire here and a 12vdc source that is controlled by a switch(or ignition) and you are good
you also need a good ground to engine from the battery(ground).

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 12, 1:10 AM
Tech Team
Jerrod

Just put a DUI HEI in my car. Not sure about the 67s but my 71 has an empty plug in the fuse block label IGN and works great for wiring in the HEI.

'71 Chevelle SS 396 4 spd
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 12, 1:11 AM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Like I said already, 14 gauge wire to the HEI is plenty big enough!

I've converted several over to HEI.

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 12, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Quote:
Like I said already, 14 gauge wire to the HEI is plenty big enough!

I've converted several over to HEI.

I have a 14 Gauge Wire coming from the Fuse box to my HEI

-Super T10 2.64
-Dana 60 3.54 Posi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 2753 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.