Alternator Wiring Harness Routing - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 11, 5:07 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jeff

Alternator Wiring Harness Routing

This is for those who have upgraded charging system wiring and relocated the "Main Junction" to the firewall to reduce voltage drop to the dash area and improve "Remote Voltage Sensing" as per the MAD Electrical recommendations. Do you still route the 3-wire harness the "long way" (to the pass. inner fender, around the battery tray, across the core support and up the driver fender to the FW) or do you somehow route it on top of the engine to the FW and shorten it significantly? Was just wondering what methods have been used to mount the harness over the engine since this is not the stock configuration. Some photos would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 11, 10:49 AM
Team Member
Frankie

Re: Alternator Wiring Harness Routing

Jeff, I am subscribing to your post. While my engine is out, I just completed rewiring per the Madd Electrical diagram. I bought some fire retardent braided sleeving and am going to try to run the alt. wires stright back to the firewall behind the engine. And I'm goona try to hide them by routing through the Victor Jr manifold.

Did you install headlight relays?

Frankie
'69 Malibu
Best 60' - 1.34
Best et - 10.03
Best mph - 129.90
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 11, 11:38 AM
Tech Team
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakenzie1 View Post
Jeff, I am subscribing to your post. While my engine is out, I just completed rewiring per the Madd Electrical diagram. I bought some fire retardent braided sleeving and am going to try to run the alt. wires stright back to the firewall behind the engine. And I'm goona try to hide them by routing through the Victor Jr manifold.

Although I am not sure how your wiring diagram is, I can tell you that if you run wires through manifold, the heat from the manifold will heat the copper in the wires and increase resistance. At a constant voltage, that means the current will drop. I remember this from physics V=I/R (V=voltage, I=current, R=resistance). Might not be the most optimal way to wire. A longer wire should not me a bad thing, I would be more concerned with the heat.

"Behind Every Man Is A Strong Woman, My Woman's Name is Chevelle"
Mike
69 Sport Coupe SS 396

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 11, 11:39 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ron

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=300744

Ron

My car is here:

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 11, 3:07 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakenzie1 View Post

I don't post often..I mostly just read and do research until my eyeballs bleed.
After upgrading to a CS130 in an effort to correct/improve a discharge condition at idle with HP/deepgroove pulleys, I'm learning that changing the alternator was the easy part. Even marginal changes to the wiring layout are very labor intensive.
I'm not installing headlight relays, at least not yet. I try not to drive my car at night, and I'm not, at this point, sold on the headlight relays...If someone had some good before and after photos of contrast in brightness with the voltage drop reduced, that might push me over the edge.
After talking to Mark at MAD Electrical, I was a little disappointed to find out that the website catalog is out of date, and the very items I wished to purchase are not longer available individually. The big kit may be ideal for some, but I set out to reduce clutter, not increase it.
I just want to relocate the main junction in an effort to reduce voltage drop, and I can't believe how hard it is to round up a good junction block, fusible link kit, non-crimp terminals, (I prefer solder on heavy loads) 8 gauge wire, etc..
Sounds like the excess length of going the "long way around" with the alt output wire is not so bad an enemy as the heat of routing too close to the manifold/etc..
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 11, 3:24 PM
Team Member
Frankie

Jeff, I also did the job to reduce underhood clutter. I made a bracket that tucks out of site into the front fender behind the headlights. We tested the lights (in the shop) and they do seem much brighter. I mounted the two light relays and my dual fan relays to this bracket. I don't drive much at night either, but liked the idea of brighter "factory" lamps and taking the load off the original fuse block.

I soldered everything as well and found the best selection of various fittings at Sutherlands Home improvement. More stock than Lowes and Home depot.

I found the wiring "power blocks" and high quality shrink wrap w/adhesive from Wiring Products.com.

The braided tubing that I plan to run the wrie through; I found at Cable Organizor.com.

Frankie
'69 Malibu
Best 60' - 1.34
Best et - 10.03
Best mph - 129.90
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 11, 10:54 AM
Tech Team
Mike

x2

I remember reading this awhile back, very helpful. Thanks Ron!

"Behind Every Man Is A Strong Woman, My Woman's Name is Chevelle"
Mike
69 Sport Coupe SS 396

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 3418 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.