Shifter/Console Wiring - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By vetteman_72

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 11, 5:12 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Don

Shifter/Console Wiring

Has anyone got a picture of the original wiring to the neutral safety switch/reverse lights for their horseshoe shifter. When we got our '71 it had a B&M Megashifter in it, which was a POS. I replaced it with a Lokar shifter, which worked okay but always had it in mind to replace it for a horseshoe shifter and console. My neighbour gave me a console (yes gave) with a shifter and some, not all, of the parts needed to switch to what I wanted. I've got the wiring harness for the console but not the correct wiring coming from the fuse box. Whoever had the car before made up some makeshift wiring, I want to adapt this wiring to work with the shifter I have now. I think I can figure out the NSS but the other plugs need clarification, such as reverse lights (which is light green). A picture of the plugs on the NSS would probably answer my question. I've searched this site but can't find the answer I'm looking for. Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 11, 7:52 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Charlie

Garage
Re: Shifter/Console Wiring

Don,
I'm assuming that the harness you have is the one that runs to the various connections inside the console- ie for the rear courtesy light, the two trans shift selector illumination bulbs, the neutral safety switch connector, and the reverse lights. That terminates at a 7 pin plug, (eight position, 7 wires,) which in turn gets connected to an interface "extension" harness. The extension harness is bundled and terminates inder the dash where it separates in the following pairs:
2 wires- light green/ dark green (I "believe" this is the reverse lights)
2 wires- purple, and purple with white stripe- ( pretty sure these are the neutral safety)
3 wires- orange , gray, white- these are for the trans selector light and rear courtesy that lights as the dome light does.
This harness is available from American Auto wire- pn CH97609

Sorry, I don't think I have the schematic on it, but I'll look.....
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 11, 8:15 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Charlie

Garage

Okay, found the harnesses, and took pics.

Pic number one: this is the harness that lives in the console, and the connections are as stated in my last post. Green wires to reverse lights, purple to neutral safety, shifter selector illumination gray and black (x2) and the orange and white run to the courtesy bulb.

Pic number two- the big plug connects to the white/clear connector in pic one. You'll find the other end connects to three different connectors under the dash.
Hope that helps
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4271[1].jpg
Views:	889
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	39330   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4273[1].jpg
Views:	844
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	39331  
Skier_Bob likes this.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 11, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetteman_72 View Post
Don,
I'm assuming that the harness you have is the one that runs to the various connections inside the console (Yes)- ie for the rear courtesy light, the two trans shift selector illumination bulbs, the neutral safety switch connector, and the reverse lights. That terminates at a 7 pin plug, (eight position, 7 wires,) which in turn gets connected to an interface "extension" harness. The extension harness is bundled and terminates inder the dash where it separates in the following pairs:
2 wires- light green/ dark green (I "believe" this is the reverse lights)
2 wires- purple, and purple with white stripe- ( pretty sure these are the neutral safety)
3 wires- orange , gray, white- these are for the trans selector light and rear courtesy that lights as the dome light does.
This harness is available from American Auto wire- pn CH97609

Sorry, I don't think I have the schematic on it, but I'll look.....
Quote:
Okay, found the harnesses, and took pics.

Pic number one: this is the harness that lives in the console, and the connections are as stated in my last post. Green wires to reverse lights, purple to neutral safety, shifter selector illumination gray and black (x2) and the orange and white run to the courtesy bulb.(I have this one)

Pic number two- the big plug connects to the white/clear connector in pic one. You'll find the other end connects to three different connectors under the dash.
Hope that helps
(Yes it does - but)

Thank you for your help.

I have the console harness that you show in the first pic. The wiring in your second pic is no where to be found. As I stated in my post, whoever had this car before did some make shift wiring. The only wires missing in the make shift is the courtesy light (I'll have to take care of this myself).
Which plugs go where on the NSS is my question for now? Is one of them powered by the ignition? If it is then I'm pretty sure I have the wiring figured out but need the plug locations on the NSS.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 11, 11:16 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Charlie

Garage

Pic number 2 is the aftermarket harness that I bought to connect the console harness to the wiring that comes out of the fuse panel.
A couple of questions: Is this a Malibu, or an SS? Was it originally a column shift or floor shift? What you need to be looking for under the dash, is a 2 conductor plug for the neutral safety switch (Probably purple and purple with white stripe, Heavier wire)
I would think that the wire colors under the dash will following the color codes of the three sets of wires in the second pic.
I'll look for my wiring diagrams, but won't have a chance to reply until tomorrow.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 11, 11:24 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Is your neutral safety/ backup light swich on your shifter base? Or is it on the column? Or do you have one in both places? It should be on the shifter.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 11, 5:36 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Don

Quote:
Pic number 2 is the aftermarket harness that I bought to connect the console harness to the wiring that comes out of the fuse panel.
A couple of questions: Is this a Malibu (Yes), or an SS (No)? Was it originally a column shift (Yes) or floor shift (No)? What you need to be looking for under the dash, is a 2 conductor plug for the neutral safety switch (Probably purple and purple with white stripe, Heavier wire)
I would think that the wire colors under the dash will following the color codes of the three sets of wires in the second pic.
I'll look for my wiring diagrams, but won't have a chance to reply until tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealRed70 View Post
Is your neutral safety/ backup light swich on your shifter base (Yes)? Or is it on the column (Yes)? Or do you have one in both places (Yes)? It should be on the shifter.
Thanks again.
I have the NSS on both the column and the shifter base. I had the NSS working with the Lokar shifter and I'm pretty sure I won't have a problem with that on the new shifter. I'm trying to figure out the reverse light connection but I want to know which plug goes where on the NSS on the new shifter (picture will help). Are the wires coming from under the dash the same colour as the wires in the console? If so I shouldn't have a problem figuring out the wire connections.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 11, 8:06 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

You can remove the switch from the column. Your car probably was a column shifted bench seat car originally. The column switch is not needed when using a console with a horseshoe shifter. You just need the one on the shifter. The wires in the dash harness are different colors than the console harness wires. In the dash harness the reverse light wires are green and pink and for the console harness they are green and a darker green. The rest of the console harness wires are the same colors as the dash harness.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 11, 8:29 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Charlie

Garage

As Dan stated, remove or just disconnect the wires from the switch mounted on the top of the column, down behind the dash. As far as what terminal should get what wires, using an ohm meter, or continuity tester, try checking which are a closed circuit when the horseshoe shifter is in reverse- this pair of terminals get the two green wires that are in the aftermarket harness in my earlier pic (#2)
The remaining two wires should give you the same reading in Park and neutral.
The pic I have attached here is a harness which shows the wires under the dash: The green and pink that Dan identified, the two purple wires - which in my example have two loose ends and are not in a plug. I have positioned the aftermarket extension harness in close proximity to their respective counterparts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4280[1].jpg
Views:	821
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	39373  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 11, 8:35 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Thanks for the pics Vetteman. I was too lazy to dig out some harnesses and take the nessasary pictures. He should get it from here.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 11, 6:55 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Don

I never thought of doing a check with an ohm meter. I'll have to try that as well as do what RealRed70 suggested (remove NSS from column). The only problem is that whoever wired this car up spliced into the wiring to the NSS but I'm sure it won't be a problem.

Thanks guys.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 11, 8:13 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Charlie

Garage

Don, here's what you're looking for....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1968-...item4cf575a1b7
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 11, 9:01 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ray

Or I have an extra automatic extension harness like in the picture two above.

70 SS Chevelle Van Nuys Cal Built
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 11, 4:34 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Don

Thanks everyone. I worked on the car today and figured everything out. I got the NSS working and the reverse lights figured out. I never actually tried to get the reverse lights to work with my old shifter so it was overlooked. I thought before I started playing around with the wiring I better see if the bulbs were in the backup lights. Lo and behold no bulbs, I put some in and they worked perfectly. I left the wiring the way it was since everything seems to be in place. I just have to hook up the interior lights to the console and everything should be good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 3411 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.