70 SS dash - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 11, 8:28 AM Thread Starter
DN
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

70 SS dash

I have the entire dash out, got a new dash harness from American Autowire. Got to thinking what would prevent me from clipping the new harness to the dash, making the connections and THEN installing the entire dash. Anyone see a problem with this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 11, 4:18 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Re: 70 SS dash

not really, you will just have to adjust as needed though. meaning, you might have to unclip or undo something, install the dash and finish any items right before you install the cluster.... i know on my 68 i would not install dash with the cluster and bezel. i would do as much a i can, install dash, finish up and finally install cluster/bezel combo last. even then, before the cluster/bezel install i would power it up and do an entire systems chk (turn signals, light, wipers, etc etc) to make sure all ok beforre tightening it up....
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 11, 4:40 PM
Tech Team
Donny

Quote:
Originally Posted by DN View Post
I have the entire dash out, got a new dash harness from American Autowire. Got to thinking what would prevent me from clipping the new harness to the dash, making the connections and THEN installing the entire dash. Anyone see a problem with this?
That is actually exactly the way we do them here when installing the factory types. The clips are very specific as to location, so if you clip it into the cluster, you should be good to go. You will need a buddy or two to help with the install and to drop the harness in through the opening of the dash and past either side of the column saddle. That is about the only way to do a mid-year vette. I recently did a 66 Chevelle this exact same way. It worked out very well. Do not try to "power things up and check them" until the install is fully completed as many items are inter-dependent on each other, ground wires must be hooked up, and dash frames/inserts must be bolted up complete before things will work properly if at all.

Donny

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 11, 4:43 PM Thread Starter
DN
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

Great, thanks alot Donny.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 3418 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.