Fuel gauge pegs full - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 11, 8:34 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Fuel gauge pegs full

I have read several posts on the fuel gauge issue. However, I am a bit confused as to where to start the troubleshooting. The reason for my confusion is that I tested the sending unit in a friends car prior to installing in my tank. On my friend's Chevelle, the sending unit operates very well with the fuel gauge. On my car the fuel gauge pegged past full as soon as we turned the key the first time. Should I start with the fuel gauge, or could this be a bad ground? The ground wire is connected to the body, on the support that runs under the trunk. We sanded the spot where the wire is grounded prior to installing. Appreciate the help.

MikeSS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TC Member #5479
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 11, 9:08 PM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage
Re: Fuel gauge pegs full

what does it do if you disconnect the wire?

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 11, 8:58 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Okay, I disconnected the tan wire and pushed a bare wire into the female end of the tan wire. Attempted to find a good ground and at no point did the needle change. My wife was sitting in the car watching the gauge and thinks she saw the needle flicker slightly. Could have been a fluke though.

I am wondering if to ensure a good ground if I can run a wire from the tan wire to the negative terminal on the battery or the screw that grounds the battery to the fender. Would that be okay to find a good ground?

What should be my next step in troubleshooting should I not get the gauge to move?

MikeSS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TC Member #5479

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 11, 11:41 AM
Senior Tech Team
Dave

When 'she' was sitting in the car, was the key ON?

Dave Bradley
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 11, 6:04 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d1_bradley View Post
When 'she' was sitting in the car, was the key ON?
Ummmm.......

Of course, I turned it to the on position!

MikeSS

TC Member #5479
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 11, 8:28 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
John

I put a new Sender in the tank and put 5 Gals gas in it, gauge read dead E. Thought there was a problem. Opened the tank filler and with a flashlight took a stiff piece of wire and "lifted" the float with it and the gauge read 1/3, so I guess it's o.k.
I unhooked the sender wire inside the trunk (key on) and the gauge went past full (fyi).

Try running a wire all the way up to a good batt ground from sender ground.

M20 by Wally
'

'69 Chevelle rusty
'69 4 DR 350 w/pg

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 11, 9:38 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Talking Re: Fuel gauge pegs full

Problem SOLVED!!!!!!

Tried many different things, even tried a buddies know working sending unit plugged in outside of the tank with no luck. After connecting to the negative on the battery and having no change we started looking at the gauge. All well.

Moved to the wiring. From the harness under the dash everything was fine. Needle went to E when grounded to tan wire. Looked at the connection in the trunk.........

At some point the wire had been swapped to a different spot in the harness. When I bought the new harness did not pay attention to the fact that the connectors were not lined up in the right spot.

Problem SOLVED!!!!!!!

MikeSS

TC Member #5479
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 11, 11:20 PM
Senior Tech Team
Dave

Thanks for update.........

Dave Bradley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 3415 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.