American Auto Wire Install questions 66 Chevelle - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 11, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Frank

American Auto Wire Install questions 66 Chevelle

I have purchased one of these kits due in large part too the positive reviews here on the forums and have just started this instillation (along with new gauges, Vintage air, dynamat ... at the same time.)

The first question I have is how are people running the wires to the tail section? The original was the flat cable designed to be run under the carpet but this is of course normal wires. Are people still running this under the carpet have people found it best to run it under the car perhaps in the frame channel which is where I ran the wires on my Scout when i rewired it with a painless kit.

If you all are leaving it under the carpet what steps if any are you taking to protect the wires? Normal loom/ heat shrink or something else?

Thanks for the help. I am sure I will use this thread for several otehr questions as i go through this installation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 11, 8:30 AM
Senior Tech Team
Bryan

Re: American Auto Wire Install questions 66 Chevelle

I wrapped up the wires in harness tape, and put them back in the plastic channel the original flat cable was protected by.

Bryan's toyz

59 ElCamino 454/TKO 5spd--(daddy)
66 ElCamino 3oh7/TKO 5spd (mousey) Almost done
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
On the street now!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

65 Ranchero v8/4-spd, that my uncle bought new
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 11, 10:39 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

I just did mine in my 66 a couple weeks ago and instead of using the plastic channel from the old wires, I went by ace hardware and bought a 20ft roll of landscape edging and used it. It's just wide enough for you to fold it in half and still lay under the straps in the floor, then I duct taped the edges of the edging before putting the dynamat in.

Tony Lee
TC member #3208
ACES member #7462
Mid-South Chevelle

71 Chevelle Malibu

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 11, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Frank

2nd question

- the wire colors on my turn signal plug off of the steering column is a single row crescent shaped plug with color wires that do not match up with the directions included with my American auto wire kit and the wiring diagrams I have found for 66 Chevelle show a crescent shaped plug with two rows.

I am looking for some listing by order of the plug points for these wires so that I can get this wired up correctly.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 11, 1:22 AM
Tech Team
Donny

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfrankb4 View Post
2nd question

- the wire colors on my turn signal plug off of the steering column is a single row crescent shaped plug with color wires that do not match up with the directions included with my American auto wire kit and the wiring diagrams I have found for 66 Chevelle show a crescent shaped plug with two rows.

I am looking for some listing by order of the plug points for these wires so that I can get this wired up correctly.
I am on the road right now and cannot access my manual, but the harness will mate color for color. You simply cut the half-moon off the column and crimp on the terminals we give you, then plug them into the flat connector that was included loose piece in the dash kit. Just be sure to mate the wires color for color, that's all. This info is covered on the instuctions of the dash harness. The double row you are seeing would probably be the schematic for a Full size Chevy (Impala) as they did use a double row of 4 position connectors instead of 8 in a row for the Chevelle. Either that, or it is wrong. If you have a problem understanding this, call me next Monday at ext. #216 or call and speak with Ray at ext. #226 tomorrow.

Donny
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 11, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by aawtech View Post
I am on the road right now and cannot access my manual, but the harness will mate color for color. You simply cut the half-moon off the column and crimp on the terminals we give you, then plug them into the flat connector that was included loose piece in the dash kit. Just be sure to mate the wires color for color, that's all. This info is covered on the instuctions of the dash harness. The double row you are seeing would probably be the schematic for a Full size Chevy (Impala) as they did use a double row of 4 position connectors instead of 8 in a row for the Chevelle. Either that, or it is wrong. If you have a problem understanding this, call me next Monday at ext. #216 or call and speak with Ray at ext. #226 tomorrow.

Donny
Donny, thank you for the reply. I did see the instructions you mention however the best I can tell the colors on my old connector do not match with the colors noted in the instructions.

Looking at the front of the plug and moving from left to right the colors I have (best I can tell on this old harness with paint covering parts of it.)
1) Green
2) Black with yellow stripe
3) Solid Blue
4) Black with white stripe
5) Black with light blue stripe
6) Purple
7) Solid Black
8) empty.

Now for the most part assuming the listing in the instructions where appropriate are for black wires with the appropriate stripe This makes sense to me. So the questions would be do the instructions imply the stripes where appropriate and what is the brown wire that I am missing?

Now that it is during business hours I will also try to call Tech support.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 11, 9:31 AM
Tech Team
Donny

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfrankb4 View Post
Donny, thank you for the reply. I did see the instructions you mention however the best I can tell the colors on my old connector do not match with the colors noted in the instructions.

Looking at the front of the plug and moving from left to right the colors I have (best I can tell on this old harness with paint covering parts of it.)
1) Green
2) Black with yellow stripe
3) Solid Blue
4) Black with white stripe
5) Black with light blue stripe
6) Purple
7) Solid Black
8) empty.

Now for the most part assuming the listing in the instructions where appropriate are for black wires with the appropriate stripe This makes sense to me. So the questions would be do the instructions imply the stripes where appropriate and what is the brown wire that I am missing?

Now that it is during business hours I will also try to call Tech support.

You are correct. The stripe on the wire is the color. Guide switches have been known to contain striped wires, so just match the stripe to the color on our harness. The brown is the battery hot lead for a hazard flasher which you column does not utilize as the 66 and earlier cars did not have a hazard switch built into the column/turn switch. That will just lay blank with no connection to it.

Donny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 3416 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.