'71-'72 AM/FM Selector Switch Knob - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 10, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

'71-'72 AM/FM Selector Switch Knob

I'm looking for a new/reproduction slider selector switch rectangular knob(?). Can't seem to find one. All I can find are face plates and the rotational knobs (on/off volume/tone). I only need the part to the am/fm selector switch that you touch, the rectangular knob(?), not the switch itself. Anyone know of a supplier? Also, could anyone provide the correct GM part number so that I can be on the lookout for one. Thanks ZK

Last edited by zookpr; Oct 15th, 10 at 3:00 PM. Reason: add'l info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 10, 7:03 PM
Tech Team
Don

Re: '71-'72 AM/FM Selector Switch Knob

If you have the model or service number on the tag, I can look up the GM part number. Don S
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 10, 6:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Hi Don,
The model number is 11AFP1. It's the '71 AM/FM mono model with no fader control.
Thanks, ZK

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 10, 7:54 PM
Tech Team
Don

ZK, I found the parts list in my Sam's Photofact books, they dont show the part # for the slider bar, only the actual switch. However, I do have a 1970 Delco radio book and it shows the slide bar as GM part # 7307738. If the 70 and 71's are the same, this should fit. Sorry.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 10, 8:04 PM
Senior Tech Team
Rich

ZK,

I don't believe anyone makes a reproduction and even with the correct part #, it might take a miracle to find a NOS one.

I would think that your best bet would be to find a junker radio to steal the part from or try contacting the various places that restore/repair radios. Someone might be willing to sell you one from their parts stash.

Lots of guys replace their old original radios with modern equipment. Maybe one of them will see your post here and be willing to help you out.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 10, 5:28 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Don - Thanks for taking the time to look that number up. I happen to have a '70 model am/fm in one of my cars so I will take a look and see if the slider knob is the same tonight. I'd bet they are the same.
Rich - I agree it would be a miracle to find a NOS one. It will be equally impossible to find someone that would give from up from an existing complete radio in any condition. But with a part number there is a chance. At least it can easily be added any time! Besides I would never flip it over to AM anyway.
Thanks again all.

If anyone has a lead I'll be on the look out. ZK
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 10, 4:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by impalass427 View Post
ZK, I found the parts list in my Sam's Photofact books, they dont show the part # for the slider bar, only the actual switch. However, I do have a 1970 Delco radio book and it shows the slide bar as GM part # 7307738. If the 70 and 71's are the same, this should fit. Sorry.
Don, I looked at my 70 radio and compared it with the 71 radio and the slide bar, GM part #7307738, is identical. Now - to find one.

Does anyone know of a source for push buttons #7306391 NOS/reproduction?

Thanks, ZK
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 10, 12:08 AM
Senior Tech Team
jerry

Try this one....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NOS-1...#ht_500wt_1182
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 10, 5:30 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Already got one. Saw that one the other night. I guess it isn't a miracle to find anything as long as one knows the proper name and part number! And,.. of course meeting the price. That one is a bit rich! I was looking for some special screws for something else and came across the same issue, some really over priced and minimum quantity restrictions which would result in a $70 purchase with uneeded spares, then I found what I was looking for for just under $5 postiage included! You have to hunt, or be taken.

Any one know how to install this thing? I started to look at it last night and I'm not sure how to disassemble/remove the parts necessary to remove the slide bar clip (hidden inside), or exactly how to remove the face plate. Disengaging the 4 spring slips does not free up the face plate for removal as it is trapped by the station preset push buttons. I didn't want to damage anything or have parts fly out so I just stopped until I obtain some direction.

What I need is a reference manual or article!

Thanks for all the input guys!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 16, 7:45 PM

Hi a few years back you had a thread looking for a delco radio am/fm slide selector switch what was your final solution..I'm dealing with a broken one ..any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks Mike [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1122 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.