Rebuild your own alternator? - Page 3 - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 38 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 10, 8:23 PM Thread Starter
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage
Re: Rebuild your own alternator?

Wrist is pretty well healed over. been almost a month.

starters require a lathe to turn the commutator if it's worn at all. I'd do a starter if it didn't have a lot of miles on it and something went wrong.

Alternator still working good.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 12, 12:22 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

Tom, I'd like to mention a couple of points just for the sake of clarity. In your very excellent pictorial you mentioned "diode trio" several times while picturing both the diode trio and what is called the "rectifier bridge". The first picture is the rectifier bridge and the second picture is the diode trio.

The alternator produces alternating current but the car battery only "sees" direct current. In concert, the diode trio and the rectifier bridge convert the alternating current from the alternator into direct current and send it to the battery. Additionally the rectifier bridge is a heat sink and the alternator fan is critical to helping the rectifier bridge rid itself of its heat from the alternating current/direct current diode work.

Specifically the rectifier bridge is the part that converts the alternating current to direct current. The diode trio provides direct field current to the voltage regulator.

Within the rectifier bridge are 6 diodes. Three forward polarized and three reverse polarized . The reverse polarized diodes block the negativly polarized current pulses and the forward polarized diodes pass the positively polarized (direct) current to the battery.

The old school generators made direct current which the battery saw and as such didn't need diodes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7ae9_1 rectifier bridge.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	49577  
Attached Images

Last edited by charbilly2001; Feb 4th, 12 at 1:23 PM.
post #33 of 38 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 13, 9:08 PM Thread Starter
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

Bill, the 10SI alt on my 57 pickup died the other day. I tore it down, couldn't see anything wrong with it. I had a new bridge and trio left over from something, I installed them and it works again.

I tore the bridge apart, broke the super brittle plastic frame gizmo doing it. Found the center diode on one side was out. The alt was completely dead, no output whatever. Is that right? Should have put out something with only one diode out, right?

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.

post #34 of 38 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 14, 6:23 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
stan

Where can I find a kit to convert my 10SI into a 100amp alt?

1969 Chevelle 300 454! finally, 29-3200 stall, TH400 and moser 12 bolt 3.73 gears.
2011 Chevy Colorado crew cab 5.3L ZQ8 black on black
ACES#7897
post #35 of 38 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 14, 1:52 PM Thread Starter
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

Hi Stan

Sorry for slow, I haven't been at the computer much last couple days.

I'd use google for that. It'll bring up a bunch of stuff, you can pick a vendor you feel comfortable with. Amazon often has the best prices for stuff if it's listed.

If you're going to use a 100A alt be sure the charging circuit wiring is in good shape. The big wire on the back of the alt is the one that carries all the charge current. Make sure you know where it goes and the terminals on both ends are in good shape. Where it attaches to the car wiring harness varies depending model and year, there's diagrams available on the web, probably one here.

post #36 of 38 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 14, 3:58 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
stan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Mobley View Post
Hi Stan

Sorry for slow, I haven't been at the computer much last couple days.

I'd use google for that. It'll bring up a bunch of stuff, you can pick a vendor you feel comfortable with. Amazon often has the best prices for stuff if it's listed.

If you're going to use a 100A alt be sure the charging circuit wiring is in good shape. The big wire on the back of the alt is the one that carries all the charge current. Make sure you know where it goes and the terminals on both ends are in good shape. Where it attaches to the car wiring harness varies depending model and year, there's diagrams available on the web, probably one here.
Hi Tom
I bought a new engine harness for my charging system. But for good measure I will check all terminals. Thank you for the tip
Stan

1969 Chevelle 300 454! finally, 29-3200 stall, TH400 and moser 12 bolt 3.73 gears.
2011 Chevy Colorado crew cab 5.3L ZQ8 black on black
ACES#7897
post #37 of 38 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 15, 2:15 PM
Team Member
Geoff Swanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
GREAT THREAD Tom!
But shouldn't it be in the Tech Reference section?

I still can't wear my watch on my left arm after all this time since I shorted the band out on the alternator post.
You should ALWAYS remove your watch and wedding ring before working on ANY car, or machinery.
Those things are dangerous. There are many people walking around with burns, or worse yet, missing body parts.

I'll bet that really hurt !!!
post #38 of 38 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 15, 5:30 PM Thread Starter
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

Geoff,

Yes it did hurt, but it was 5 years ago. I can still see where it was though. Battle scar

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1646 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.