Steering Column Wiring Question - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old May 5th, 09, 5:50 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
David

Steering Column Wiring Question

OK, part two of the wiring mystery...Ron Francis didn't have any answers for where the column wires go, except to tell me to find a factory wiring diagram and consult that...which I don't have. So, any of you fellow Chevelle owners out there who could offer help, I would sincerely appreciate it!
Sitting in the driver's seat, looking down at the wiring harness that comes out of the steering column, the colors of the wires, from left to right are: black, green, yellow, dark blue, white, light blue, and purple. The RF kit I put in has all the wires labeled, so if anyone can tell me where these wires go ( front and rear turn signals, parking lights, turn signal flasher, horn, and ground), I can easily connect them up to the RF supplied wires.
I assume black is ground, but the insulation is original, and could be "aged" brown in color? The rfeason I bring that up is a friend told me that horn wire leads are brown...don't know if this is true or not.

Thanks for any help!!

David Mauldin, 66SS, 496, six speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old May 10th, 09, 2:59 PM
Gold Founding Member
Ron

Garage
Re: Steering Column Wiring Question

If you don't get an answer here, try the Electrical and Wiring forum.

Ron
'87 Camaro IROC-Z L98
'69 300 Deluxe SS396

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Founding member of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old May 10th, 09, 5:57 PM
Team Member
Steamy

Black=horn, green=Rt rear turn signal, yellow=Lft rear turn signal, Dark blue=Rt frt turn signal, Light blue=Lft frt turn signal, Purple=turn signal flasher, White=Brake lights
I'm pretty sure that's correct for a '66, the only thing I'm not positive about is the white wire for the brake lights, on a '68, it's black.
BillL

If you keep on livin', you're gonna get old.

Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.
Good livin' will speed it up, but it's worth it.

My Showroom

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old May 10th, 09, 7:39 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Greg

Send a message via AIM to undee70ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark68SS View Post
Black=horn, green=Rt rear turn signal, yellow=Lft rear turn signal, Dark blue=Rt frt turn signal, Light blue=Lft frt turn signal, Purple=turn signal flasher, White=Brake lights
I'm pretty sure that's correct for a '66, the only thing I'm not positive about is the white wire for the brake lights, on a '68, it's black.
BillL
White=Brake lights, power in from brake pedal switch.

Greg U

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 09, 11:38 PM

Another helpful post. Thanks guys.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 09, 4:00 PM
Banned

What would cause the Purple and the Dark blue wires to short together? I have great trouble shooting skills but this has me baffled. Been through two turn signal switches now and don't want to ruin another. I cannot see anything obvious and all the wiring is Brand new from M&H. The flasher gets red hot and the purple and dark blue wires melt. Any ideas?? Anyone had this happen? Thanks for any help.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 09, 1:27 PM
Team Member
Steamy

You might want to start another post about this problem instead of tacking it onto an old post.
If the flasher is getting hot, my first impression is that the flasher is bad. They aren't made to carry a lot of current, and the contacts may be welded together.
BillL

If you keep on livin', you're gonna get old.

Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.
Good livin' will speed it up, but it's worth it.

My Showroom

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 13, 1:24 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Hector

Another reason to use an electronic timed flasher instead of a bi-metal flasher.

My wife says size doesn't matter. But I say 454 cubic inches is about average.

66 300 Deluxe:
82 454 Truck engine
MSD A6 Digital
Mallory Billet Dist
Edelbrock E-Street EFI
Ron Francis Access 24/7 Harness
Edelbrock Performer intake manifold
MARCH serpentine Belt
Power Steering and A/C
Totally completely stock dash
Totally crap aluminum radiator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 2193 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.