Blower relay wiring - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 09, 2:55 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Gerard

Send a message via MSN to thenewpappa
Blower relay wiring

The wiring of my blowrr motor relay is as following:

black: ground
Purple: power to blower motor and a/c resistor (a/c is deleted but resistor must be kept)
blue: goes towards dash

Orange: this one I dont know. Previously, it went to the horn relay, see pic below:

The wire on most right terminal (orange but sprayed black some how) goes to blower relay. I don't think it's correct if I look at some of the wiring diagrams of the horn relay. So where does ORANGE go to???
(I know the other wires are not correctly connected yet)

Gerard
The Netherlands

El Camino 1970 SS396, TH400, all #matching, Black cherry (now 69 Le Mans Blue)
Resto project FINISHED (start date 10-10-2005, finish 07-2011).
Wanna take a look at this bottomless pit project??:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 09, 7:29 PM
Team Member
Jeremy

Re: Blower relay wiring

On mine the orange wire goes directly to the blower motor which is the resistor bypass. Not sure if AC cars are different.

Jeremy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
factory 4-sp, rally gauges, hidden headlights

1970 K-20

1962 Pontiac Catalina Convertible
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old May 1st, 09, 3:15 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Gerard

Thanks Jeremy.

Any more experts?

Gerard
The Netherlands

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old May 1st, 09, 3:50 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Erich

The wiring on an A/C equipped car is different. The black ( 10 gauge ) wire attached to the horn relay is the correct color. That wire runs along the wheelwell and then across the firewall to a inline fuse holder near the A/C blower relay. The wire coming out of the fuse holder is orange. The orange wire goes to one of the terminals on the relay. When you turn your blower switch to Hi the blue wire supplies +12vdc to the relay thus energizing it. +12 vdc is then sent through the contacts from the orange wire to the purple wire ( blower motor ). The resistor is not used when the motor is running on Hi. The relay was used because of the large current draw. Do you have the A/C wiring diagram, if not I can e-mail it to you.

Erich
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 09, 8:44 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Gerard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbvelleman View Post
The wiring on an A/C equipped car is different. The black ( 10 gauge ) wire attached to the horn relay is the correct color. That wire runs along the wheelwell and then across the firewall to a inline fuse holder near the A/C blower relay. The wire coming out of the fuse holder is orange. The orange wire goes to one of the terminals on the relay. When you turn your blower switch to Hi the blue wire supplies +12vdc to the relay thus energizing it. +12 vdc is then sent through the contacts from the orange wire to the purple wire ( blower motor ). The resistor is not used when the motor is running on Hi. The relay was used because of the large current draw. Do you have the A/C wiring diagram, if not I can e-mail it to you.

Erich
Erich, thanks! So the setup as seen in my pic (black wire to most right terminal on horn relay) is correct? There is no form of fuse in the wire from horn relay to a/c blower relay.

No, I don't have this diagram. WOuld be great if you send it. My mail is [email protected]. Thanks a lot.

Gerard
The Netherlands

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 09, 5:32 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Erich

Gerard,
Yes, the black wire on the horn relay is correct. I posted a photo of the fuse holder so you can see what it looks like and it's location. I also sent you an e-mail with two attachments. One is the wiring/ vacuum diagram ( jpeg format ). The second is the vacuum switch operation that I made up ( Microsoft word - .doc format ).
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 19, 10:18 AM

Hello I'm new to this forum thanks for the add! I'm having problems with my HV AC blower on my 68 some of my wires must have been cut going to blower and out of fuse panel any pictures and help would be very helpful I put a new relay and I know resistor I would like to make sure my wiring is right before I put a new selector switch if needed I'm finding all different types of wiring diagrams online that aren't seeming to be very helpful thank you
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 19, 11:04 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
leo

Jay1962, You should really start your own post instead of adding on to the bottom of this post, that way you can get direct answers to your question. Good luck!!

Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 19, 12:35 AM
Senior Tech Team

Welcome Jay! Yes, start a new thread, the OP here has a 1970 car and answers for him may not work for you.

Meanwhile, Gerard this may help:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1970 AC.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	213.7 KB
ID:	586396  

LS1tech.com supermoderator.
How may I help you?
1971 Monte Carlo SS454-496ci 600hp
1999 Trans Am-500hp
2003 Iszu Ascender XL Limited V8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in