70 Chevelle blowing dome light fuses - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 08, 9:33 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Ernie

70 Chevelle blowing dome light fuses

I am having a problem with my 70 Chevelle SS . I keep blowing the (20 amp) dome light fuse. The car has courtsey lights, map light, under hood and trunk light, and glove box light. I have unplugged the courtsey lights as I found a pinched wire that was touching on them. That seemed to be the problem for a minute but now its doing it again. Also my tach is not working. Could this some how be related ???? Any help would certainly be apreciated.

Thanks,

A.C.E.S #4031
T. C . # 3589
Visit my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1967 Chevelle SS 396 / 350 HP 4spd.
NOCC Best Chevelle & Best of Show
MCACN Concours Gold Award
AACA Senior Grand National Award
ACES Chevellabration "Top 3"
VCCA Junior, Senior & Pres. Awards

1970 Chevelle SS 396 / 350 HP 4spd.
AACA 1st Grand National Award
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 08, 10:11 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

Re: 70 Chevelle blowing dome light fuses

What about the chrome on the dome light bezel? The new bezel I got for my Elcamino has a lot of chrome on it and I can actually watch a spark between the mounting screw and the bezel when I touch a bulb to the socket. You need to take the bulbs out and unplug the wire from the fuse block and check each section of the harness for a short to ground with a multi meter. If you leave the harness hooked up you won't be able to check it since the filaments of the bulbs provide a path to ground. You should be able to isolate it that way.

Dave

"He drives a El-frickin-camino, that's like the Cadillac of cars" Earl Hickey

1970 Elcamino SS396 4spd
1970 SS454 Chevelle

TC#632
TSC#11

70 LS2 Build thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 08, 7:01 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Ernie

Dave, I don't think that the dome light in the roof could be the problem on this one. I have not had it down or apart. I think my problem is some where in the dash as this is the stuff I have had apart. I never thought about taking the bulbs out of the socket, I'll try that tonight to see what that does. Anybody else have an idea as what to look for ??

Thanks,

A.C.E.S #4031
T. C . # 3589
Visit my

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 08, 8:31 PM
Gold Member
Joe

FYI...

The 20 amp Courtesy circuit also feeds;

Cigarette Lighter

Clock (if equipped)

Rear console lamp (if equipped with console)

-If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 08, 8:49 PM
Team Member

My new dome lite bezel chrome did the same. Had to scrape clean where the wires plug in the bezel. Gary

The truly educated never graduate
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 08, 9:42 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Ernie

OK, I went out tonight and tried some things. I first pulled the bulbs out of the courtsey lights and unplugged them from the fuse block. Everything seemed to be OK for a couple minutes then it blew it again. I unplugged the cigarette lighter and after a couple of minutes it blew again. I unplugged the clock and it imeadiatley blew it again. The first time with the courtsey lights unplugged, I turned on the radio. I could here a buzzing thru the radio before it blew. The car has the complete SS gauge pkg. I had the dash out over the winter to add power windows ,locks and power drivers bucket. I also changed the gauge pkg. from a 71 SS to a 70 SS and added AM-FM 8 track with 4 speaker stereo. I also added the key buzzer. Everything thing seems to working like it should except the fuse blowing problem and tach not working. I also noticed tonight that when I would change the fuse the amp meter would fluxuate.

A.C.E.S #4031
T. C . # 3589
Visit my

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 08, 2:57 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Greg

Send a message via AIM to undee70ss

Do you have anything plugged into the BAT terminal at fusebox? That terminal is also fused by the CLK LTR CTSY fuse.

Greg U

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 08, 7:02 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Ernie

Yes, I'm sure I do, with all the extras I've added, but not quite sure right at the moment, what is plugged in there. I am at work right now. I will check it out again tonight and post back. I want to say though that I may have the windows, locks and seat plugged in there though, but not sure.

A.C.E.S #4031
T. C . # 3589
Visit my

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 08, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Ernie

I worked with this a liitle more tonight. Didn't get to spend a whole lot of time as I had friend stop by. Anyway, I have the courtsey lights plugged into the (BAT) terminal. Not the power windows. I added a tang for the windows, locks and seat. When I went to put the new 20 amp fuse in tonight it wanted to spark and the fuse got real hot. I pushed the door jamb switch in on the drivers door and put the fuse in. It did not spark and never did blow again after I pushed the switch in. I plugged in the clock and still didn't blow.

A.C.E.S #4031
T. C . # 3589
Visit my

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 11, 7:28 AM
Norris

I have 67 Chevelle resto project underway and had a problem with the dome light shorting out. I removed the new chrome base plate, removed the chrome in the area where the screws go, then made sure that the light bulb clips were turned inward toward the center of the base plate so that the clips do not have a chance touch the chrome. The chrome is the problem but you can work around it. Hope this helps.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 11, 2:24 PM
Tech Team
Jerry

One more thing, try disconnecting the feed for the dome light which is in the trunk. It should be an orange and white pair of wires that plugs into a black socket. With that unplugged, it will isolate the dome light and wiring from the trunk to the light. Put your fuse in and see if it blows. If the fuse does not blow, then your problem is with the wiring or dome light. If the fuse still blows, then your problem is somewhere else in the wiring, switch or P/W or P/S motor. You should be able to remove circuits one at a time until you find your short. Get a test light for $5 and check your grounds on that circuit to see if you have a hot ground in the wiring. Good luck. Jerry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 3413 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.