Team Chevelle banner

ignition wire help

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  1968SS427 
#1 ·
Duh, I think I went a little crazy cuting wires under the dash! I was removing an old Sun Super Tach and now she wont start. What does the white wire off the coil do? Should I hook it back up to the fuse box. It usually fires on the first crank but now nothing I'm sure I messed something up. Its a BBC with old points type distributor and coil. 1970 Chevelle Malibu

thanks
Rod

#3 ·
Jim's right, the white cloth covered looking wire on the coil's + terminal is a resistive wire that comes from the bulkhead connector which is fed from a pink wire from the ignition switch to matching pin on the side of the bulkhead connector inside the car - behind fues panel.

The other wire on the coil's + terminal is the yellow bypass wire from the starter's "R" terminal which sends 12 volts to the coil only during start up.
http://elcaminocentral.com/articles/wiring/732.gif

#4 ·
Thanks Dean but the link doesnt go anywhere. I have figured the problem out it was even dumber (word?) than I thought. When I removed the tach wire from the (-) side of the coil I did not see the wire from the distributor on the backside. Once I connected the dist wire she fired right up!!

Thanks All

Rod

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.