Batteries and Trickle Chargers - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 20, 9:41 AM Thread Starter
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage
Batteries and Trickle Chargers

Just got a new battery for my 69. This is probably the 5th or 6th battery Ive put in it. Only one in he past that seemed to last was an Optima. This time I did a fair amount of research and went with a Deka 9A34. It is made in the USA, is an AGM battery, fits my battery topper and had good reviews. Got mine from Rock Auto.
So id like this battery to last 6-8 years. Was told by someone in the industry that the key to doing that is to keep the battery on a trickle charger. Also to put it on the charger shortly after the car is driven rather than waiting a week or so. In the past I would put it on a trickle charger if it sat for three weeks or so and then take it off after three days or so. However it was suggested to keep it on the charger till it is driven and then back on afterwards.
What say you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 20, 9:56 AM
Tech Team
Troy

Re: Batteries and Trickle Chargers

Let's define trickle charger.

I use a "Battery tender" very. Small unit. That only puts out mili amps.

I have a Harley that has a AGM (Deka BTW) and a red top Optima for the Chevelle. I switch it back and forth between the two.

I don't think it needs to be attached immediately, but I do think you need to avoid prolonged periods of no maintenance charge.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
shovelrick likes this.

66 CHEVELLE
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 20, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by senna View Post
Let's define trickle charger.

I use a "Battery tender"
Agreed. I use a battery tender as well. Just assumed everyone would be on same page.
Also as long as we are talking trickle chargers dont think they are intented for recharging or significant amounts of charge. Just guessing here but if ones trickle charger is pretty warm or hot to the touch then it is working harder than it should.
senna and shovelrick like this.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 20, 10:31 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Battery’s are an expensive part and I definitely agree they should last longer. I use the small a battery tender products. I have to always have it on the 04 GTO since it will be dead in 3-4 weeks.

For the Chevelle, I also have the AGM battery. I will put it on in the winter months when I’m not driving it. For the summer, it’s never on.

I’m definitely no battery pro, but I try not to let them go dead

Team Chevelle Member (20 years and counting...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'72 Chevelle Convertible (Mohave Gold) (all SS options, no SS badging)

2004 Pontiac GTO (Quicksilver) RIP April 2013
--> Replaced with 2004 Pontiac GTO (Barbados Blue)

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche (Sunset Orange Metallic)
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 20, 10:48 AM
Matthew

Garage

If your car is only driven on weekends, then you should be using a battery tender to prolong the life of the battery. When I lived in PA, I never used one, I never had any real issues, and my batteries would typically last around the five year mark. Florida is a different story. The heat down here will kill batteries in about three years - or so I'm told. I've heard anecdotal evidence going both ways, but I think it's well agreed upon that heat and batteries aren't the best of friends.

I drive my car only on weekends - Friday and Saturday. My Friday cruise is a whopping 1/2 mile round trip, and my Saturday cruise is about 8 miles round trip. So I'm not putting enough time on my car to get a good charge on the battery. I usually put the tender on the car the next day, but have gone the better part of a week before doing so, and the battery will drop to about 85% charge (Optima red top). A day or two on the tender and the battery is good to go. It's best to keep the tender hooked-up so you're not getting large drops that need to be corrected, but I can't confirm this as I'm not an expert or anything of the sort. I just believe that consistency is key for best long-term results.

I use a Schumacher 3A battery extender and it has served me very well. It also has a pulsating feature, which is supposed to correct battery sulfation. This is apparently the reason why batteries don't last as long in Florida - heat causes the sulfation and something something something... Once I hook it up to the car, it stays there until the car is going to be driven. This may be a week, or two weeks, or a month, but I never remove it just to remove it. The purpose is to keep the battery fully charged at all times.

I feel like this response was much longer than needed, but I am trying to get out of house cleaning for company coming over today. Sorry!!
71350SS and shovelrick like this.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 20, 3:23 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

Here is what I know. I bought a AGM Batt. for my 454 / M-22 in 2012 for the MCACN show in Chicago. ( Its the DELCO, REPO for a 454) My Camino has not been started for 18-22 Months. ??? ( It has been on the little green charger since 2013) Last week, Pump out the old fuel add new fuel & Metal filter at the tank. Changed the oil & filter (painted the filter white).
Hit the key and it turned over like I was shooting 24 volts to the starter. With this AGM Batt. and what it does an how it operates along with the LIFE SPAN,,, My two 70s will NEVER see a WET cell battery.
Also,, I have had TWO or THREE of the WET cell reproduction ( side post) Batts. Mine did not live long for POOP!
I told my wife before I started the Camino, The Batt. in the Camino is " EIGHT " years old, It may be JUNK............... I did all of this a few weeks ago, Getting ready for the OHIO show, That didnt happen, MD, Show That didnt happen, Local shows, Nutten going on. I may look for a set of tire chains, WHY? When this $h!t is over, I can drive my Camino in the snow this winter, to the Dairy Queen and get some ice cream.....
Bob
71350SS and shovelrick like this.

1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 20, 7:03 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bart

Garage

I have a battery tender on mine, when ever I'm not driving it, its on the tender. Have had the same battery now for 7 years. Works for me.

69SS Daytona yellow
L35, M-20, 3.73

"AC's 2 by 75...... you roll'em down & drive

"Time treats everybody like a fool"
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 20, 7:18 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bill

Garage

The Battery Tender brand monitors the voltage and only charges when it needs to. I only buy the cheapest batteries from the local parts stores. I use a Battery Tender on the Chevelle only in the winter and I drive it once or twice a week if there isn't salt on the road. I keep a Battery Tender on my mower all the time. I get 6-8 years out of any battery. I don't know why people have so many battery problems.

1969 Sport Coupe SS Tribute Cortez Silver 454 400TH
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 20, 8:25 PM
Senior Tech Team

Battery tender here on a 2 year old Braille AGM. Car only ran last year for about two months. Battery is topped off nicely.

LS1tech.com supermoderator.
How may I help you?
1971 Monte Carlo SS454-496ci 600hp
1999 Trans Am-500hp
2003 Iszu Ascender XL Limited V8
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 20, 9:58 PM
Team Member
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinls5 View Post
Here is what I know. I bought a AGM Batt. for my 454 / M-22 in 2012 for the MCACN show in Chicago. ( Its the DELCO, REPO for a 454) My Camino has not been started for 18-22 Months. ??? ( It has been on the little green charger since 2013) Last week, Pump out the old fuel add new fuel & Metal filter at the tank. Changed the oil & filter (painted the filter white).
Hit the key and it turned over like I was shooting 24 volts to the starter. With this AGM Batt. and what it does an how it operates along with the LIFE SPAN,,, My two 70s will NEVER see a WET cell battery.
Also,, I have had TWO or THREE of the WET cell reproduction ( side post) Batts. Mine did not live long for POOP!
I told my wife before I started the Camino, The Batt. in the Camino is " EIGHT " years old, It may be JUNK............... I did all of this a few weeks ago, Getting ready for the OHIO show, That didnt happen, MD, Show That didnt happen, Local shows, Nutten going on. I may look for a set of tire chains, WHY? When this $h!t is over, I can drive my Camino in the snow this winter, to the Dairy Queen and get some ice cream.....
Bob
Of you could just run it up to Seven Springs in the snow like you did in the old days

It is a rare man who can count his own blessings and not mistake them for personal achievements.
"SSuper Dave" Palmer
A.C.E.S. #1483 TC #32 Gold
1970 El Camino Custom, 350/300, needs paint, rust free Arizona car
1968 Caprice coupe, Ash Gold/Ivy Gold, 327/300hp, rally wheels, disc brakes, buckets, console, am/fm and tach dash, tilt and a/c.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 20, 11:06 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Costco had a battery tender for $29.95 so I bought one.Now I'm just sorry I didn't buy 2 of them
shovelrick likes this.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
"I would rather have questions I can't answer than have answers I can't question" :R.Feynman
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 20, 11:37 PM
Tech Team
John

The longest I've maintained a battery with a Battery Tender is an Optima Red top that lasted 16 years!!! And even then, it would still crank the engine over, but it's time had come. If you have an AGM battery from new and have it on a battery tender from the get go, it will last a very long time!
shovelrick and 71350SS like this.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 20, 7:53 AM
Tech Team

Wow, 16 years, that tops my personal best. I use Battery Tender Plus units on everything....all the cars, bikes, garden equipment, currently over 10 of them. They're always hooked up unless vehicle is in actual use. I've had several (from when vehicle was new) OEM batteries last a full 10 years, including dual battery equipped diesel Suburban's.

Viz
shovelrick likes this.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 20, 9:23 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

3 battery tender Jr's here, 2 on harleys, 1 on the chevelle with a Duracell ? battery from Sams club, I'm a big fan of Deltran Battery Tenders

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 20, 3:51 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
John

Garage

Battery Tender Plus here. Been using it for more years than I can count. The best I have done was 9 years on a Yuasa battery for my Goldwing. I changed the battery out just to be sure I did not get stranded somewhere, but the battery was still good. I have 3 Tenders here for the bikes and SS. I just bought a new Interstate AGM for the SS and plan to keep it on the Tender after reading your posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in