Unidentified Wires_72 Chevelle SS Dash Swap - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 20, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

Unidentified Wires_72 Chevelle SS Dash Swap

Hello All and thanks for taking the time to read this post.

I have an unmodified dash harness out of a 72 Chevelle SS with idiot lights and have gotten the dash together and do not know and cant identify these last 2 wires, know where everything else goes.

a. There is a blue/black 3 prong female wire coming from the firewall interior side. I do not remember disconnecting this when the old sweep dash was taken out and it could have been dangling or never connected to begin with.

b. There is a what looks like a dash ground wire coming off the new SS dash harness near the dash plug, very similar to a dash ground with ring terminal but it is dark brown so not sure.

Any help you can provide in determining what these are for would be very helpful, thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	631804   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	631806   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	631808  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 20, 10:17 AM
Senior Tech Team
Bill

Garage
Re: Unidentified Wires_72 Chevelle SS Dash Swap

Maybe the windshield wiper switch?

1969 Sport Coupe SS Tribute Cortez Silver 454 400TH
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 20, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

I've got the black ground wire with ring terminal that is right next to this brown one going to the wiper switch just like the old harness was like. This one is brown which leads me to believe it is not a ground but it does have a ring terminal which is throwing me off.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 20, 11:46 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Is the ring terminal for the headlight switch? Between the switch and the bezel? The three prong looks like the wiper connector from my 69.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 20, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

So there are 2 wires next to each other, a brown wire and black wire, both with ring terminals. I put the black wire to the wiper switch just like the old sweep harness was like but the brown wire with ring terminal is what has me stumped. It seems like it should be grounded to the back of the metal dash bracket but like I said I dont know because it is brown instead of black.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 20, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Also, the wiper switch connector is already plugged up. The blue/black 3 prong connector is on the opposite end near the passenger above the hvac box.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 20, 1:06 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McCabe View Post
Hello All and thanks for taking the time to read this post.

I have an unmodified dash harness out of a 72 Chevelle SS with idiot lights and have gotten the dash together and do not know and cant identify these last 2 wires, know where everything else goes.

a. There is a blue/black 3 prong female wire coming from the firewall interior side. I do not remember disconnecting this when the old sweep dash was taken out and it could have been dangling or never connected to begin with.

Any help you can provide in determining what these are for would be very helpful, thanks
Could it be for an option like the 8 track player ?

This is a harness I saw and it looks like it has a 3 position 2 wire male connector and what you have is the female end which is also a 3 position 2 wire female connector that might then go to a rear speaker ?.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-70-71-7...-/251479400421

I've never seen the above harness or 8 track option in person but the other connector on the lower right side of the picture had me side tracked as it looks like the harmonica connector for the column turn signals but may instead go to the player ?.

Jim

Always working on something:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 20, 1:13 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

On my 69 the brown wire on the instrument cluster goes to the generator indication.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 20, 1:19 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ed

Garage

This may help
1972 Chevelle SS Wiring Diagram and Pictures

Ed

70 El Camino SS 396 (SOLD)
68 GTO (Thanks Mom)
06 Silverado
07 SRX
20 Airstream Flying Cloud
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 20, 4:23 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies! and

Thanks Jim for the picture because you are absolutely correct, the blue/black 3 prong plug is for the rear speakers in the package tray.

Thanks BLM for pointing out the brown ring terminal wire is for the GEN light. My question now is do I just leave it disconnected or will grounding it out cause a light to come on? I have already upgraded the alternator with an internal regulator type and bypassing the external regulator.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 20, 8:16 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Kyle,
I assume the 72 wiring is the same as the 69. Most likely it is. If that wire no longer willbe energized then no worries. However if it still gets energized Iwould find a way to secure and insulate the ring terminal.
Kirk's67SS likes this.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 20, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

I'm now having problems with getting most of the dash lights to work. The top 4 lights come on but not the rest. Is it at all possible that the brown wire with ring terminal which was right next to the black ring terminal wire should instead be grounded and possibly might make the dash lights work? It was thought to be for the GEN but now I am thinking that it may not and is actually an instrument dash ground.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 20, 11:38 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Kyle,
As far as I know the grounds should be black wires.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 20, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Any idea where it would have mounted on the GEN light? I have an old GEN idiot light from an SS dash and the only connector it has is for a bulb, there are no holes for a ring terminal and the circuit board does not connect to it
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 20, 12:39 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Well if there is no stud there for mounting then that indicates the brown wire is not for the generator.
Have you tried putting a meter on the brown wire to see if it is getting voltage? Maybe try with the key in different positions.
Another spot I recall that takes a brown wire is the radio. I believe the radio can be wired to come on without the key being on or with the key being on. Is that a possibility?
If you get a voltage reading when using a meter then one thing you can try is pulling one fuse at a time to see when you lose the voltage. At least that would narrow it down to one circuit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in