Wiring issue on 70 El Camino - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 20, 7:15 PM Thread Starter

Angry Wiring issue on 70 El Camino

I recently installed a new Autowire wiring harness on the firewall for the lights and engine. Come to find out that as soon as the battery is connected all 4 headlights go on. I removed the headlight switch thinking it had a problem. Headlights still coming on with battery being connected. Anyone have an idea? I never changed the horn relay.

70 El Camino
468 with TH400
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 20, 8:27 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Re: Wiring issue on 70 El Camino

Check the wiring at the switch plug, its probably wrong. You won't be the first person to get a harness that's not correct. Call AAW if you need tech support to back their product.

You're just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 20, 9:03 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Garage
Send a message via AIM to BlueSS454

This may seem trivial but, is the headlight knob installed? When you remove the headlight knob, the lights will be on. I have installed tons of American Autowire harnesses and never had any issue with something being done incorrect with their product.
LeoP, hydro462 and 68-13427 like this.

Tom Rightler, MCC VP & Newsletter Editor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Best ET: [email protected] MPH

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 20, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

I removed the entire switch, all 4 headlights come on as soon as you connect the battery,

70 El Camino
468 with TH400
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 20, 11:03 PM
Senior Tech Team

With the headlight switch being unplugged, the power going to it cannot pass out to the headlights SO I'm thinking with you replacing the wiring "could" the ground from the headlights by the battery mistakenly have been connected to the battery fusible link junction block ?. Maybe if the ring terminals are the same size things possibly got connected wrong ?.

I know this sounds goofy but let's say this happens and now power is then sent up the ground to both the low and high beam filaments on that side of the car and then travel over to the other side lighting them up and then the headlight ground on the other side is grounded like it should be to the radiator support.

Jim
Bob Babcock likes this.

Always working on something:

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 20, 8:27 AM Thread Starter

Great idea Jim! I'm thinking the same thing! Although i'm not using the junction block that wire is connected right to the positive wire coming off of the side post positive cable. I'm thinking its getting power at the horn relay. OR when the harness was made there's a wrong connection at the plug. When I installed the harness I never installed the headlights to catch this while the fenders were off. I like your idea of 12 volts going through a ground though. No parking lights or marker light bulbs are in yet. There's red and black wires that go to the hot side of the relay, I'm betting one of those should be a ground and had the wrong end put on by mistake.

70 El Camino
468 with TH400
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 20, 8:31 AM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Wow, that's a stretch Jim. Unplug the high/low beam selector switch on the floor and see where there is voltage and what color wire.
Bob Babcock likes this.

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 20, 6:39 PM Thread Starter

Jim you called it! The headlight ground wire found its way onto the horn relay by accident. Thanks for the idea of what to look for

70 El Camino
468 with TH400
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 20, 7:07 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Shaking my head, can't see how that would happen... but Murphys Law is always right.

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 20, 8:50 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Babcock View Post
Jim you called it! The headlight ground wire found its way onto the horn relay by accident. Thanks for the idea of what to look for
I just had to wonder since the only way power should get to the headlights is from power supplied to the headlight switch and if it was not even connected I thought what could have gone wrong. I just remember on my 68 behind the battery on the backside of the radiator support there is a bolt with 3 wires going to it AND not too far is the junction block stud. One could very well make wrong connections. I remember years ago working on systems for Delco and Rockford Fosgate and ask the GM engineer why there were SO many different plugs in a cars wiring and he said that way no one can plug things together wrong.

It also sound like your issue was on the other side by the horn relay. I didn't even think about that side BUT it makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcutlass View Post
Shaking my head, can't see how that would happen... but Murphys Law is always right.
Come over to the dark side of selling and installing car audio and you will be exposed to all kinds of things you would not think were possible but are.

Jim
Hotwire likes this.

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 20, 9:06 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Trying to follow the current path in my head.

Connect a headlight ground wire to a hot terminal with the headligh switch removed and the lights light up.

1. Where are they getting their ground from?

2. Aren't the headlight ground wires screwed down to metal up near the headlights?

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 20, 10:20 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Trying to follow the current path in my head.

Connect a headlight ground wire to a hot terminal with the headligh switch removed and the lights light up.

1. Where are they getting their ground from?

2. Aren't the headlight ground wires screwed down to metal up near the headlights?

I had to think about it too a few times but here is my thinking:

On let's say the right side of the car the headlights are grounded and this ground goes to both filaments in the one headlight that has the high and low beam and then over to the one headlight that has just the high beam filament.

Now you have a green and a light tan that go over to the left side headlights and there they make connections to those two bulbs and then just a single green and light tan that then goes to and through the firewall to the headlight dimmer switch, the headlight switch and also the high beam indicator light in the dash.

Now on the left side headlights normally you have those headlights grounded but in this case the ground went to power on the horn buss and now power is sent up the ground, to and through those headlights bulbs, then the power continues to and through the other bulbs on the other side and then there is where it ends in a ground for that side headlights.

Basically you have sent power up a a common ground then into some headlights and then power into the other headlights and then to a ground. The lights on one side are in series with the other side.

Jim

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 20, 8:04 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Streib View Post
I had to think about it too a few times but here is my thinking:

On let's say the right side of the car the headlights are grounded and this ground goes to both filaments in the one headlight that has the high and low beam and then over to the one headlight that has just the high beam filament.

Now you have a green and a light tan that go over to the left side headlights and there they make connections to those two bulbs and then just a single green and light tan that then goes to and through the firewall to the headlight dimmer switch, the headlight switch and also the high beam indicator light in the dash.

Now on the left side headlights normally you have those headlights grounded but in this case the ground went to power on the horn buss and now power is sent up the ground, to and through those headlights bulbs, then the power continues to and through the other bulbs on the other side and then there is where it ends in a ground for that side headlights.

Basically you have sent power up a a common ground then into some headlights and then power into the other headlights and then to a ground. The lights on one side are in series with the other side.

Jim
Draw me a diagram.

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 20, 9:32 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Draw me a diagram.
I don't know WHY I thought someone was going to ask me this but I did start one, and just have to finish it.

Let me ask you this as I have a TON of wiring info on the Nova line with the 2 headlight systems but no 4 headlight systems, and is the below a correct diagram for a 1970 Chevelle ?. I had started drawing things out for the Nova site I'm a moderator on with the 2 headlight system but to keep things clear being on a Chevelle site with slightly different wiring, I'll provide the information for a Chevelle as long as I know I have a good diagram to work with.

http://www.wiring-wizard.com/Diagram...ompartment.gif

If so I'll use that and remove most of the other stuff not related to the headlight system.

Jim

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 20, 11:03 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	headlights.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	629112  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in