64 Wiring to horn relay - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 20, 6:58 AM Thread Starter
Bmiller

64 Wiring to horn relay

After replacing front wiring harness, I am starting to hookup wires to the horn relay. I am a little uneasy about how it was before so want to double check before just booking up wires. What wires hook up we’re on horn relay? One wire comes from battery and other red wires from harness. Also there is a black wire which was not even hooked up before. Any help?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01251AD2-93B5-4543-8A1E-CDC46812F82B_1591095470474.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	628750  

Bmiller
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 20, 8:50 AM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Re: 64 Wiring to horn relay

All off the red wires hook to the buss bar, the black wire is your horn contact from the steering wheel and goes to a separate terminal on the relay. The green wires are the horns.

You're just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 20, 9:54 PM Thread Starter
Bmiller

Ya the horn plug is pretty straight forward, itís the black wire that I am unsure of?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2E76C876-4EE6-461A-B9E1-F504F0886B48.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	628816  

Bmiller

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 20, 12:33 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Look at the side of the horn relay/ junction box. Pins 3 and 5 are where all your red wires are attaching. Pin 1 is the green wire to the horns, black should connect to pin 2.

*Jeff*

Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
LQ4 / T56 Swap
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 20, 2:24 PM
Senior Tech Team

Maybe this will help. I took this pic before disassembling my wagon...

64 2 door Wagon Build thread

67 2 door Sedan LS1 T56

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 20, 8:42 PM
Senior Tech Team

Just throwing this out but with the terminals with the fork ends I would think they would go under the screws on the buss and any terminal with a female end would plug into specific male terminals under the relay. I could be wrong as I cannot see the underside of the relay but I do not remember seeing any Chevrolet horn activation wire terminated with a fork terminal. All I have seen are horn activation wire ends with a 1/4" female connector encased in a plastic housing.

Could the small black with the fork be for an optional ammeter ?. Maybe the harness is made to use an external shunt for an ammeter circuit ?.

Don't go assuming anything because once you let the smoke out of the wire, that's a no good.

If you want to test the black wire while it's not connected to anything, an ohm meter should show a ground when the horn button is depressed.

Jim

Always working on something:

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 20, 9:22 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Streib View Post
Just throwing this out but with the terminals with the fork ends I would think they would go under the screws on the buss and any terminal with a female end would plug into specific male terminals under the relay. I could be wrong as I cannot see the underside of the relay but I do not remember seeing any Chevrolet horn activation wire terminated with a fork terminal. All I have seen are horn activation wire ends with a 1/4" female connector encased in a plastic housing.

Could the small black with the fork be for an optional ammeter ?. Maybe the harness is made to use an external shunt for an ammeter circuit ?.

Don't go assuming anything because once you let the smoke out of the wire, that's a no good.

If you want to test the black wire while it's not connected to anything, an ohm meter should show a ground when the horn button is depressed.

Jim
Pretty sure Jim is right on this. Checked schematic and higher end Malibu ss had ammeter connection. Just checked my car, looks like the horn connector has horn power and button connection in same plug.

*Jeff*

LQ4 / T56 Swap

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 20, 9:09 AM Thread Starter
Bmiller

Ok thanks for pics and info. Yes my horn connections are on same plug. So that makes since If black wire is for ammeter. I left that unplugged and taped off as my gauge is already fried and not hooked up. Going to start it up today and see how it goes

Bmiller
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 20, 10:04 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Good luck!!

Here's the schematics if you need them:

Passenger compartment:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ojE...ew?usp=sharing

Engine compartment:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11dk...ew?usp=sharing

*Jeff*

LQ4 / T56 Swap

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in